I'm Deciding Between a Criterion and Shilen Barrel at Northland

I have a brand new Criterion in 280 AI that I just built. James at NSS was great to deal with and got me set up with everything to build it myself. Just getting started with load development. It stacked 4 starting loads on top of each other when I zeroed the scope. Think it's going to be a shooter.

Really??? So, does Krieger provide them with an unrifled barrel and they take it from there??
My understanding is that they started out in the Krieger factory in 1999 to meet a market need for a less expensive to make barrel. One or more of the employees then went on their own and started the current Criterion name. So, I guess they aren't currently made by Krieger but are a close copy with button rifling.

James at NSS is great to deal with! Bought a Savage pre-fit (26"-Shilen-SM-S/S-Var-6BR Norma-8T) in March for $309 total (was on clearance).
6mmBR-105Berger.jpg

Here's a pic from recent load development with it. Obviously I stopped with the last load to the right! It has shot every bullet I've run through it like this and I'm between 400-500 rounds.

I have a Criterion in 260 an am very happy with it. I shoot mid and long range targets. I also have hit a 18 inch plate at 1760 a couple of times. The guys who make Criterion use to work at Krieger. I think they started making prefits for military rifles 03's and Garands.

My understanding is that they started out in the Krieger factory in 1999 to meet a market need for a less expensive to make barrel. One or more of the employees then went on their own and started the current Criterion name. So, I guess they aren't currently made by Krieger but are a close copy with button rifling.
Thanks for the info. I prefer a cut rifled barrel and have a couple of Kriegers, but I've got a couple of button rifles barrels that are shooters, too.

I put a Criterian on a savage target action in 6.5-284. It shoots low 2's. Very happy with it. Bought from Northland. I will go the same rout when I rebarrel my 6BR Norma.

I'm going to go with the criterion barrel just too much positive feedback to ignore. This will be my first long range rifle for deer, I cut my teeth on long range ground hog hunting and have my avatar gun for that but this will be my field larger game rifle. bouncing between two different scopes and now that the barrel choice is made, thanks again for the info from all. I have to pin down if 260AI or 284 will be my pick. Long cold winter ahead so time to get it together for our spring when I can dial things in. Dave

So that would make them completely different, since Krieger uses the 'cut rifling' process. What would make them more like a Krieger than any other barrel maker?

I have a 7mm mag remage criterion from NSS James is great to deal with and I live in the same town as him, so I get to stop in and pick my stuff up. He is great to deal with. I also bought dies from him, my whole build for action trigger barrel but and recoil lug cane from him. Now I also bought a bighorn action from him too.

So that would make them completely different, since Krieger uses the 'cut rifling' process. What would make them more like a Krieger than any other barrel maker?
They are still under Kriegers roof and have worked with them for years, but yes, they are button rifled so different but they were made by Krieger co. and are now separate.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.