I'm Deciding Between a Criterion and Shilen Barrel at Northland

Savage 12BVSS

Howdy all, trying to decide between the two barrel brands at Northland for a savage gun I'm building. I've got it all ready just need a barrel, I know what caliber I want (284) but to be honest I've never heard of a criterion at all. Shilen gets talked about and has some fans for sure but I figure its kind of a roll of the dice anyways. Does Criterion seem to make a comparable quality barrel, or should I just go with whats a known brand to me? I already use a Lothar Walther and McGowan on guns and I'm happy with both although I had my Smith rechamber the McGowen to a match chamber and recrown also, as it was rough right out of the box. I listen and take advice especially when the replies seem to follow a similar course so anything will be appreciated, I know I'm still learning as I go. Thanks Dave

Criterion makes excellent barrels and are making a good name for themselves. Just do a search on them. My savage build is a criterion. Excellent barrel.
20190304_180648.jpg
20170622_191657.jpg

Those are both 5 shot groups.

Last edited:
I really dont think it will matter. I have used Mcgowan, X-caliber, green mtn and Criterion. All have shot very well. If you bed a savage rifles recoil lug and feed it good ammo they seem to just shoot.

Howdy all, trying to decide between the two barrel brands at Northland for a savage gun I'm building. I've got it all ready just need a barrel, I know what caliber I want (284) but to be honest I've never heard of a criterion at all. Shilen gets talked about and has some fans for sure but I figure its kind of a roll of the dice anyways. Does Criterion seem to make a comparable quality barrel, or should I just go with whats a known brand to me? I already use a Lothar Walther and McGowan on guns and I'm happy with both although I had my Smith rechamber the McGowen to a match chamber and recrown also, as it was rough right out of the box. I listen and take advice especially when the replies seem to follow a similar course so anything will be appreciated, I know I'm still learning as I go. Thanks Dave
Criterion is a button rifled Krieger.

Thank you for the info, savages do seem to shoot pretty good. Crazy thing is the factory heavy barrels shoot like match barrels a lot of the time, they just are a lot tougher to clean. Criterion it will be now, I'll see how it shoots long as some Krieger rubs off on it, I can't go wrong. Dave

Thank you for the info, savages do seem to shoot pretty good. Crazy thing is the factory heavy barrels shoot like match barrels a lot of the time, they just are a lot tougher to clean. Criterion it will be now, I'll see how it shoots long as some Krieger rubs off on it, I can't go wrong. Dave
I havent owned one but all my Kriegers have shot well!

I had a Criterion prefit chambered in 6.5-284 for a little while. It was a solid half MOA shooter with minimal load development.

I know a few guys running Criterion barrels where I shoot F class and they all are happy with them.

Hard to beat shilens reputation

And for whoever said savage factory heavy barrels are tough to clean and copper foul. Amen to that. They shoot good but boy have mine fouled

I have several Criterion barrels, all on savages,all shoot great. NSS great to deal with. This 3 shot group from a Criterion 7saum at 100 yds,
thumbnail 22.jpg
made the fridge door. PS. if anyone needs a new savage pre-fit unfired 308 Criterion 28in bull I have one for sale $250 plus shipping
barrel.jpg
thumbnail 22.jpg

Last edited:
I had two Shilen Match barrels. Both were very accurate. I would not hesitate to get another one for a steel option.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts