I'm curious about zero stops

ltrmc02

I ordered a Leupold VX-6 scope with the CDS-ZL elevation dial and was a bit disappointed when pulling it out of the box and finding out that it would only go up around 18 MOA in elevation from where ever the zero setting will be set at. The scope is capable of 70 MOA of adjustment internally but it will be mechanically limited to around 18 MOA from where set due to the dial not turning past or even turning one full revolution.

This is the only experience I have with a zero lock turret and I have a hard time believing that Night Force and others using a zero lock turret would be designed to limit your upward elevation adjustment from your zero point like this Leupold does.

I really like the scope other wise. I just sent Leupold an e-mail asking if there are some turret dial options for my scope that will get around this and still lock. I'm pretty sure I could do away with the lock tab in the dial and get full range of elevation but would no longer have the zero stop function to find my bottom end. I think it would also be possible to mill out a little area under the cap on the scope body that would allow multiple revolutions of the turret and still have a zero lock function but I'm certain that would void a warranty that I'd like to keep on this scope.

OK, I got to rambling a bit there. I'd just like to know how zero stops are designed on other manufacturers scopes. Any pics of the under side of turret dial laid next to the turret stem would really be appreciated.

I ordered a Leupold VX-6 scope with the CDS-ZL elevation dial and was a bit disappointed when pulling it out of the box and finding out that it would only go up around 18 MOA in elevation from where ever the zero setting will be set at. The scope is capable of 70 MOA of adjustment internally but it will be mechanically limited to around 18 MOA from where set due to the dial not turning past or even turning one full revolution.

This is the only experience I have with a zero lock turret and I have a hard time believing that Night Force and others using a zero lock turret would be designed to limit your upward elevation adjustment from your zero point like this Leupold does.

I really like the scope other wise. I just sent Leupold an e-mail asking if there are some turret dial options for my scope that will get around this and still lock. I'm pretty sure I could do away with the lock tab in the dial and get full range of elevation but would no longer have the zero stop function to find my bottom end. I think it would also be possible to mill out a little area under the cap on the scope body that would allow multiple revolutions of the turret and still have a zero lock function but I'm certain that would void a warranty that I'd like to keep on this scope.

OK, I got to rambling a bit there. I'd just like to know how zero stops are designed on other manufacturers scopes. Any pics of the under side of turret dial laid next to the turret stem would really be appreciated.

You should be getting ~35 MOA up and ~35 MOA down adjustment. Make sure you're adjusting it properly; I had a similar experience on my very first zero stop capable scope ... I misread one of the critical step necessarily in setting my zero stop.

You tube has quite a few video on zero stops from different scope manufacturers.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I have 3 vx-6's. None have this problem. Either something is broke or like happens to me quite often it is operator error.

Leupold sells a ZL-2x, revolution. You have to order it though. I am curios how it plays out. I am planning on getting a 2x revolution for a rifle.

LTR, If i under stand it correctly, you can set your zero stop any where you want in the 70MOA range. Once it is set, you are limited to 18MOA of dialing up. I am hoping the 2x turret will allow for 36MOA of dialing up

This is where planning your base, scope, and caliber together all come into play - so you can know what sort of elevation you need, then plan a base that puts your reticle in the upper half of the travel (erector tilts down or forward to raise to front of the gun barrel for longer distance). But not at the complete top as you will still want some windage adjustment even for the closer ranges plus a bit of buffer room to compensate to manufacturing variance.

For example I run a 30 MOA base on my VX6 on a 338/378, and it provides all the adjustment I need to reach maximum effective range - and still give me lots of windage adjustment when my dials are down near the zero lock.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.