im bored!! whats next?

shawnb

ive grown almost...almost...bored with my rem 700 7mm rem mag. ive loaded 168 vld's to 2975fps and 2 turns of my mark 4 takes me to 1200yards.

now what? i dont have funds for a new build. i can only get to 1200 where i shoot/hunt.

i have punched paper and gongs like crazy but no animals i guess (other than a cow moose at 350-400yrds) and i hunt the bush on cutlines so thats limited to deer kinda. but thats 4 hours away. and the farmers here dont like me shooting because everyone here has cattle.

HOW DO I OVERCOME MY BOREDOM!!!!

signed: an albertan looking for something to do during the cold months

HOW DO I OVERCOME MY BOREDOM!!!!
YOU TAKE MY *** HUNTING, THAT'S WHAT!!

Dang dude, you live in land of the giants. I need to get back to Alberta. Did the black bear thing several times in the Peace River area. NOW I need to do some whitetail, muley, and pronghorn.

haha. i would do that. my cousin just shot a 50" moose this year. and i have a line on 200" mule deer i could take year after year. and ive seen pics to prove! guy was full drawn 10 yards away across a swath. and others as well that could be long range.

but that takes time. and im impatient. i want to shoot far but its hard to get there in alberta as far as i can find.

what do you do to pass the boredom of 700 yard shots? thats as far as i can shoot here without crossing anyone.

what do you do to pass the boredom of 700 yard shots? thats as far as i can shoot here without crossing anyone.
You can try to shoot eggs at 600 yards. Thats about 1/3 MOA, takes some real shooting skills and an accurate rifle to do it.

It's surprising that living Alberta you can't find some great long range hunting. I live in the armpit of the US(New England) and have hunted Alberta for the last 10+ years for my long range shooting (about 3 hours out of Edmonton mostly). The trophy quality of the deer can't be bettered anywhere in North America. The mulie in my ID was shot there and was first observed at over 1000 yards. Had to get closer because of wind conditions though and took him at 440 yards, 193" typical. But I have had no shortage of challenging long range hunts and good kills from Wainwright to Grand Prarie. If I'm lucky enough to fill my tags early, I can shoot at the huge population of coyotes at any range. I don't blame you for getting bored shooting paper and gongs. It does become very static, I went through the same thing. The shift to long range hunting is a totally different ball game and will humble the very best of the LR target shooters. One successful killing shot on a 10" vital area, under varied conditions, shooting positions, and a good animal at 1000+ yards that doesn't hang from a steel frame is as challenging as it gets. In my opinion, I'm likely to die of old age before I get bored.

Call me up and order a DTA!

Tough to get bored when you can change calibers in 60 seconds.

IMG_6842.JPG

Get yourself the most accurate 22LR setup you can lay your hands on and when you get really good with that at 700 yds you'll be too old to be bored.

Step your power down so that 700 yds seems like a mile.

You'll maximize your breathing skills, trigger pull, capability of reading the wind and I could go on and on.

Christmas is coming, so you can buy some ugly Christmas decorations, hang them on a tree. Set'em at different yardages and get in the spirit. You could do some predator hunting.

Put a 4 inch steel gong at 700 yds. Go out and fire one Rd at it every day. When your skills become so pronounced and hits are so frequent you are bored, let us know.

Get yourself the most accurate 22LR setup you can lay your hands on and when you get really good with that at 700 yds you'll be too old to be bored.

Step your power down so that 700 yds seems like a mile.

You'll maximize your breathing skills, trigger pull, capability of reading the wind and I could go on and on.

Cowboy has it right. Here in the SE portion of NY State there isn't too much LRH between woods, farmers and property owners not letting one shoot and so on. I have a single shot Kimber 22LR we've taken out to 500+ yds to shoot eggs and some 4" flange caps. About 600 is the max I get to shoot anything anymore so downsizing to increase the difficulty is the way.

a 22LR at 500 isn't as easy as some think it is. We miss it more than we hit it.

Last edited:
Haha all very good ideas.
I do predator hunt a lot. I use my 22-250 for that and its good for 500 the way its set up right now. I do as much hunting as i can but tags here take a while except for whitetail. Which i dont exactly care about but i do tag out each year with that. Taking time off work is hard because i usually take my vacation in the summer for camping.

I do like the idea of the egg shoot. And take it another step with my 17HMR would be fun also.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.