Im 18 and I need help Reloading 300 RUM!!!

I am using 150 grain Nosler Accubonds. I will step it up to larger bullets. Do you have suggestions for a long range bullet? I have deffinately been infected with the long range fever.
Also. I will try all of these tricks when I get home, I have a few more questions about dies. There are several differnt dies that you can buy. Some packages come with three dies and some come with only one. I read that it is best to use just a neck sizing die on cases that have already been fired. Why is that?
Finally, could I have done any permanent damage to my rifle by trying to chamber these un-chamber able rounds?

I appreciate the help for a long range rookie!!

Thee bullet for hunting and shooting in the 300 RUM is the 230 Berger, hands down best BC and best terminal performance available to you!!

You can't really hurt your rifle as long as you didn't extract them with a hammer or you damaged the extractor.

Are you trying to crimp case mouth on a cannulure of bullet? If so, then your seating die isn't set correctly.
If not, I still suspect seating die as cause of issue. A resized case that will chamber easily should do the same after being primed, filled with powder and bullet seated. I personally can't see a 150 sitting out far enough to cause problem, especially with the freebore most factory rifles come with on the ultra mags. ( I have ultras, 300 and 338,custom builds) To me it sounds like seating die is set too low and is causing cases to be crushed slightly deforming them, probably in shoulder area. Which then causes hard if not impossible to chamber loaded round. ( I learned this lesson a long time ago.) To determine if what I'm suggesting is correct then:
1. Put seating die in press.
2. Put a resized, unprimed, empty case (make sure it will chamber in rifle first) in shell holder of reloading press.
3. Slowly moving handle of press , push case up into die, if you feel pressure/contact on case before your press handle comes to complete stop then your seating die is set too low.
I agree with other poster that 150's are too light for 300 ultra. I wouldn't use less than 200gr bullets in it.
As you are new to reloading, proceed slowly, read your reloading manual thoroughly, most manuals have complete info on start to finish on basic reloading in them.
I agree with 375fan's analysis. I have done exactly what you describe when first starting off. I would take the seating die and screw it down until it touches the shell holder. Than unscrew one and a half turns. I am positive your loading problem will go away. You will get the same problem when trying to crimp bullets into a cannelure groove if you over do it. The shoulder-case body junction will bulge and chambering will not be possible. Also if punching paper is the main purpose I would suggest some matchkings the 210's and 220's shot well out of my rifle, but the 240's take the cake. A muzzle brake would make for more accurate shooting also.

Reuben

Last edited:
The simplest way to make sure that your not crimping or damaging your brass during the seatig process is to simply put a ready to load shell in the shellholder and raise it all the way up. Then screw the seating die down until it touches the shell. You can then try seating a bullet and adjust the screw up top to rather make it seat the bullet deeper until it is at your desired measurement.

You need to do a LOT OF READING from a Sierra Reloading Manual and learn step by step.

The 300 RUM! I literally hate that **** cartridge! Best **** cartridge in the world for inducing a good case of trigger jerk. In the hands of an experienced LR shooter who has a lot of reloading experience and trigger time....it can be made to shoot with the right components but normally this isn't in the range of 150 gr. projectiles; rather it will handle 190-220 gr. bullets better than the lighter bullets because of the rate of twist within the barrel.

Run your ram all the way to the top of the stroke and screw the FL resize die down until the die touches the top of the shell holder and go 1/8th turn more downward with the die. Move the ram down and then back up and when at the top of the stroke there should be slight pressure required to bottom out the press handle; tighten the lock ring on the die. This will give you a fully resized case. Rifle bullets DO NOT NEED a crimp in a bolt action rifle! To set up your seating die.....screw your seating die into the press and put a resized case into the shell holder and run the ram to top of it's stroke. Screw your seating die downward until it just touches the mouth of the case and lock down. There is a seating stem on top of the die so back it out a bit by screwing it upward. Take an uncharged case and insert a bullet into the case mouth and use the adjustment stem to set your required cartridge overall length which will be found in a reloading manual!

Meanwhile....get off your cell phone and buy you a Sierra Reloading Manual and pay attention to the info inside!!

Cody, alot of good reply's here.

Only thing I can add is to suggest as have a few others you buy some reloading manuals and read the sections on reloading, and brass prep etc in full. I bought 3 reloading manuals when i first started and minus all the actual load data, I read the instruction part of each manual completely, multiple times. Now I own 6 different reloading manuals and have read the non "load" data part of each of them and it sure is a big help.

Lee manual
Nosler #6 and #7
Sierra Manual
Speer Manual
Hornady Manual

You can never have too much information as a baseline when reloading!

Thank you guys. Really. I combined all of the techniques shared and the rounds are loading! I'm excited to shoot and shoot and experiment with differnt loads and bullets. I will make **** sure I study more and learn about reloading. I really appreciate it everyone.

Cody.

Thank you guys. Really. I combined all of the techniques shared and the rounds are loading! I'm excited to shoot and shoot and experiment with differnt loads and bullets. I will make **** sure I study more and learn about reloading. I really appreciate it everyone.

Cody.

So what turned out to be the problem?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.