If your thinking of getting a silencer and want to know more, ask a ?

Sooo, I have a trust and too many cans and want to sell off some so I can buy more. Yeah, I know that sounds crazy, but... the question is : how do you sell a can? Does the buyer of my can (and I think he does) have to go through all the same stuff I did to buy it? Or, am I actually stuck with the can and unable to sell it? I know/think it passes on to beneficiaries when I die and while I'm living they can use them, with papers. But can I sell one and what has to be done to sell it? For new cans bought in the trust, will the "old" people on the trust have to go through the new drill now?

Sooo, I have a trust and too many cans and want to sell off some so I can buy more. Yeah, I know that sounds crazy, but... the question is : how do you sell a can? Does the buyer of my can (and I think he does) have to go through all the same stuff I did to buy it? Or, am I actually stuck with the can and unable to sell it? I know/think it passes on to beneficiaries when I die and while I'm living they can use them, with papers. But can I sell one and what has to be done to sell it? For new cans bought in the trust, will the "old" people on the trust have to go through the new drill now?

I'm not positive on this but I think it would be a form 3 transfer, but I may be wrong.

idcwby

you can transfer it but it will take a lonngwhile and you will need to hold it. r
I'm not positive on this but I think it would be a form 3 transfer, but I may be wrong.

idcwby
You should transfer the can to a dealer and let him hold it but you can if you know the person, transfer it to them, but you will need to hold it until the paperwork is approved. about 14 months right now.

https://www.silencershop.com/blog/post/how-to-sell-a-silencer/

For a can that has already had a completed Form 4 and been transferred to an individual, they can not be Form 3'd to a dealer.

If selling in the same state, the buyer needs to do their Form 4 Application and pay their $200 and you hold on to the can until they are approved. Once they are, then you transfer the can to them.

if you want to sell out of state, you must do two Form 4 transfers: 1 to a dealer in their state and then a second from their dealer to the end buyer. This means $400 in tax stamps and 2x the Form4 wait time.

Really, not much value in selling a used suppressor unless it's one with a normal retail of well over $1500. Figure at best you get about 1/2 value out of it and even that will be hard since people don't know how you've treated it and there will be no warranty on it.

Lots of legal talk!!! Here is a gun question....I have a 700 bull barrel .223 that is one of the best shooting guns I have ever been around. It is a true 1/4 minute gun. I would like to chop it to 20" and thread it for my Gemtech trek that should be green lighted here in a month or two. However I am nervous to do so in fear of turning this tack driver into a bullet sprayer. Any thoughts or experiences good or bad???

absent other changes, a good can won't reduce accuracy. The place to be careful is in the work done on the barrel and the possible changes to the weight distribution on the barrel. There is a risk to it, but with a good smith doing the work, I wouldn't stress too much about accuracy decreasing.

absent other changes, a good can won't reduce accuracy. The place to be careful is in the work done on the barrel and the possible changes to the weight distribution on the barrel. There is a risk to it, but with a good smith doing the work, I wouldn't stress too much about accuracy decreasing.
Thanks, I have talked with my smith and he isn't to concerned either. Thanks for the input. In peoples experience how often has anyone needed to adjust powder charges, seating depths etc. to chase there new harmonics with a suppressor?

Thanks, I have talked with my smith and he isn't to concerned either. Thanks for the input. In peoples experience how often has anyone needed to adjust powder charges, seating depths etc. to chase there new harmonics with a suppressor?
Wish I could help there. I've not had any barrels threaded (only recently started buying rifles and all were threaded). I've also not noticed group size change between can and no can on my rifles but all are heavier barrels. sorry can't help more.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.