If your thinking of getting a silencer and want to know more, ask a ?

Thank you again... my last question... trusts... do I need to actually establish a trust in order to pay the $25 for a trust or is this just a nominal fee as a means entirely as a trust in order to pass on let's say my son to this suppressor in the event I'm no longer around
I'm not sure what the 25.00 fee is. If that is the cost of the trust, I would look into another brand to be sure its a well written trust. For sure have a trust, this way it is protected and can be passed down without fees and if the laws have changed it should be protected as long as the trust is living.

If you find a can you like let me know and I will tell you what a good price is for one. You can haggle with some dealers in your area.
Will do thank you! I was thinking itd vs best to deal with a shop locally vs strictly online
Some others I was considering were the VOX and the gunwerks

Will do thank you! I was thinking itd vs best to deal with a shop locally vs strictly online
Some others I was considering were the VOX and the gunwerks
I will always say support the local shop. without them the online sales are meaningless. The local shop is likely willing to deal with you and you dont have to pay the transfer fee.

Last edited:
The vox looks interesting, I have not seen them. The materials used only by them, this can be good or bad. but from what I read they handle high heat well. In your case, it is not needed and likely a costly feature that very few need or in reality it's not needed by anyone. If its that hot you can't see past it anyway.

The vox looks interesting, I have not seen them. The materials used only by them, this can be good or bad. but from what I read they handle high heat well. In your case, it is not needed and likely a costly feature that very few need or in reality it's not needed by anyone. If its that hot you can't see past it anyway.
Yes that was my thought I will not need it for its extreme heat durability only on maybe an AR platform for me... but it may imply reailiancey in life longevity

I'm not sure what the 25.00 fee is. If that is the cost of the trust, I would look into another brand to be sure its a well written trust. For sure have a trust, this way it is protected and can be passed down without fees and if the laws have changed it should be protected as long as the trust is living.
Trusts dont protect anyone from changes in the law.

So say I have a 24" barrel that shoots 3,000 FPS and I cut it back to 20" and add a can.... will it slow the bullet down since I reduced the length of the barrel or will adding the can keep it close?

Is there a minimum barrel contour to keep in mind if wanting to add a can?

I thought the length couldnt be changed? I've not come across one that's legal to unscrew a 2" piece and shorten it. But interesting if I'm wrong.

How much they reduce noise is a function of volume. So longer should be better all other things being equal. But bigger diameter increases volume much more than adding length. A 1.5" can 6" long has volume 10.6 cubic inches, increased to 10" volume is 17.7cubic inches. Bump it up to 2" diameter at 6" and you get 18.8 cubic inches. But you dont see many large diameter cans out there, they would get in the way of optics, and they probably just look goofy.

Edited for clarity

Look up rebel silencers
Thanks for the explanation of volume vs length.

So say I have a 24" barrel that shoots 3,000 FPS and I cut it back to 20" and add a can.... will it slow the bullet down since I reduced the length of the barrel or will adding the can keep it close?

Is there a minimum barrel contour to keep in mind if wanting to add a can?
Yes, cutting back the barrel will slow your mv, a can will keep the same mv, or slightly increase it but only by 10 fps or so-- cutting off 4" of barrel you will probably loose about 90-100fps depending on caliber.

For a suppressor you'll need a suitable shoulder on your barrel just past the threads for the can or qdmd unless you have the qdmd shouldered on the crown
Heavier profiles can help support the can, reduce barrel whip and poi shift but are not necessary
Always check the can for proper alignment with an alignment rod to prevent baffle or end cap strikes.

I recently got my first can, a Blackhawk carnivore 300wm. I plan to run it on a 300 blackout and a 260 Remington. Again this is my first suppressor so bare with me. Do I need to do anything maintenance wise to it? I think it's a sealed model, so I don't know how I can clean out the internal baffles when they get really clogged/dirty.

I just went through the purchase and application process for my first suppressor through Silencer Shop earlier this month and very highly recommend that route, especially if there's one of their kiosks locally.

It really can seem quite daunting as a first time buyer, it certainly was for me. But in hindsight, it's really not too complicated and I'm glad to finally have an application in the queue
I also just purchased my first silencer / suppressor through the Silencer Shop two weeks ago. Easy but fairly long process and I used the kiosk also. The ATF wait time is a bit ridiculous. I'm told with the recent Govt. Shutdown(s) it may be a year before I get the item. Never forked out a $ grand and had to wait a year or more to receive the purchase.

Thanks for this great info. All very true. I purchased mine thru Silencer Shop via the Kiosk at my local Gun Shop. We called The Silencer Shop and verified they had the model I wanted in stock. Actually the customer service guy said they had two in stock. I think the call to them after you decide which one you want is worth it vs. relying on what their website says.
Silencer shop is a cool idea but it can delay you 1 or more month longer. If you buy from a dealer the paperwork goes in right away when you buy at silcer shop they hold the paperwork and I'm guessing here, there is a time period they figured out for credit card charge backs. Then they submit paperwork. Since i deal with them I notice the time from pucherse to the time the can is put into my name and the receiving dealer to me getting it is 1 to 2 months. But additionally I have experanced buying suppressors fom them that they don't phisically have. I believe they are getting production sn# before they even have possession of them. I have first hand knowledge of this as I was sold a suppressor and 2 months later they still did not have it in to ship to me. They finally said they dont know when it will be in and I bought a different can for a discount. They are the only dealer I have seen do this . As a dealer it takes 2 or more weeks to get one from them. At best. If I buy direct from the Mfg. 1 or 2 days. That is my experance. The keyosk is a great tool if buying from a shop that has the suppresser in hand. If not and it is through the silencer shop I knownit to be, it does not save you time. I dont use them and the times I get are are the same once it has been put into my name. Its the time from ordering and the time its put into my name that is a drawback.
nks

Sure they can. not on everything b
Yes, the do or can. Your looking in the wrong direction. Laws have been written, like the CA ban of AR15 rifles in 98. I had to register it. (The AR was grandfathered in) the law states when I die or move out of state the gun can no longer stay in the state. With a trust, I registered it as the owner , just like a cooperation as the owner, as long as it is "alive" the gun is good. people can join the trust for the next 100 years or until the state comes out and banns the use of trust.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.