If you were limited to a single rifle/caliber, what would it be?

AJ Peacock

We've all heard this discussion many times at the range and at hunting camp.

Assuming you could reload for your choice, what rifle/caliber combination would you choose if you had to live with that choice forever?

My choice would have to be a 7mm Rem Mag, since it has a good trajectory for moderate long range shooting, can be loaded with lighter bullets for varmints and heavier bullets for big game here in North America. I'd wish for a heavier bullet with more frontal area for some hunting situations, but the 7RM would be my choice.

I'd put it in a Rem 700 DM with a 26" hunting taper and a composite stock. For all around hunting I'd probably go with a 4.5x14x40mm Leupold, only because Nightforce doesn't make an objective in the NXS that is smaller than 50mm.

It wouldn't be fun just having one; and this would be a hard decision, but thats what I would choose.

What would you choose and why?

Don

I would choose a 7 RM or 7 WSM 26" lilja on a custom built rem 700 receiver with a nice mcmillan or hs precision stock. It would have a MK4, 6.5-20x50 LR/T M1 scope. I would choose this pretty much for the reasons already stated. Its got good range 1000 yards, good accuracy, 2000rds barrel life, not a lot of powder or kick to them, load a 140g for varmints/coyotes and step up to a 168g VLD or 175g SMK or 180g VLD for the bigger stuff. After I was through with my 300 RUM, I knew I wanted to downsize either to a 7 mag or 300 mag. I really really like my 7 mag now. I wouldn't feel undergunned with anythign in NA.

a completly trued and blue printed remington 700la or custom action of some sort that would allow me to have a bdl type stock. Stock woulld either be a hs or mcmillan. I like laminates but if I used them for hunting they would be thrashed within ten or so years. Caliber would probablly be either a 7mmstw or an 300win or ultra. those three calibers are hard to beat for an overall good cartridge. I guess out of the 3 I would have to go with the, the, the, the, the, 300rum. I love mine even though it is factory and shoots like crap. but I love the performance it has. where I hunt there is no pdogs but there is ground squirles. Would I need this much gun for a squirle? no But would I want this much power for elk and other large game. definatly. barrel would be a light varmit with flutes topped with a 5.5-22x56 NXS. mounted with Night force rings and bases. with a holland brake and a 2lb trigger.

For me, the 308 winnie hands down. I know I wouldnt be able to harvest bigger game past 450 yards such as elk and moose, but all versatility concidered, it would just be my pick. Plus I assume you meen have 1 for life and not be able to get a new barrel. I will be shooting it longer than the guys with the RUM's! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Plus it would work not only as a good long range big game hunting rig, it would double up as a good target rig and also be real good vermicide.

Probably a 700 SA or custom knock off based on the 700. McMillan HTG stock and an 11.25 twist to handle the heavier pills such as the 190 SMK and the 200 AB, yet still be user friendly with the 155's through 180's.

I'm also going to have to go with a 308. A long barrel life and you can basically kill anything in North America (if you have enough bullet and balls).

For all-around use, I would want it configured either as a custom based on the 700, a VSSF, or XCR (I don't have to commit yet do I?).

Scope a Mark 4 4.5-14x50 or a Nightforce 3.5-15x56 NSX

I would have to go w/ you 25-06 because that is exactly what I own a 7mm rem mag w/ a mark 4 illum. 6.5-20x50. It is very versatile. I also love the .308. But for all around performance it will have to be the 7mm.

I think the 7mm Rem Mag has about the best case for being an all around cartridge.
I have always said though that I will never be without a 25-06 Rem. It would work fine for about 99% of my hunting needs. Mine is set up just the way I want it, a Winchester model 70 XTR action on a Harry Lawson Cochise thumbhole stock. The only thing I would change is truing the action and a quality 26" sporter wt. barrel. Optics, Sightron 4x16x42 MIL dot scope.
If however I am also going to hunt dangerous game with this rifle it would be a pre-64 Winchester 375 H&H with Iron sights but I don't see that happening.

I would hate it but my Rem model7 in 7mmSAUM would be good i could shoot 110gr projectiles with a low load around 3000fps for varmints and close range plinking then a good 140-150gr for deer and other medium game then some heavy bonded 175gr projectiles for the larger game up to buffalo i would rather a larger calibre for the big stuff but i could get buy with one for everything it is only the largest animals that i would realy have to place precise shots so they would not try to kill me.

Cheers Bill
Australia

I don't own a 308 but it would be my choice in a Rem 700 with a 4-16 or 4-14 scope, HS Precision. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I would have to say my .25-06 Rem. I built my first one on a Mauser action with a Douglas Varmint barrel and still own 5 of them. They never have failed me and have taken more deer than I can remember. They will take anything from elk on down and do a good job of it. The Serria 117 SPBT GK has always been my goto bullet but when they came out with the 100gr Nosler BT I switched one of my guns to that for coyotes. Shot as flat as my .22-250 and did a better job when it got there.

AJ,

What a HORRIBLE thought!!! I have to go out and design another wildcat just to get that question out of my head!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

For me it would be a 7mm AM.

Would rather give up varmint and small game hunting versitility and retain long range big game performance. Course a 140 gr Ballistic Tip at 3700 fps would not do to bad on yotes!!!

Again, HORRIBLE thought to pose to use!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif One rifle and thats it, not even funny to think about.

Kirby Allen(50)

Hi Kerby, just wondering what case the 7AM is built on, I ,am having a 276Baer built right now,It is a 284-416. I think if I am right you use the 338 Lapua?

I would have to say something in a big 7mm. 7 ultra or 7 AM would be good. That way i have enough bullet and thump to take out anything in north america but i also have high enough BC bullets for ultra long range shooting.

steve

Although there are more guns in the safe, I feel that I have the ultimate, one gun setup, in my 7mm AM. The 7mm Rem Mag is a pretty good choice but the 7mm AM goes to so many different levels that it's the ultimate. Given the bullets available today it can do it all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bob Smeltzer: The 7mm AM is based on the 338 Lapua case with some APS improvements. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.