If you only could have one scope??

Remmy700

If you could only have one scope to use in an all around LR hunting/LR shooting rifle what would it be and why? Mine would be a NXS 5.5-22x56 or 50 either one and has to have ZS and HS options. Not the best glass clarity for sure but the glass is descent and I can always rely on the mechanics of the NXS. Out of all the glass I have/have had there is never a doubt in my mind when I make an adjustment.

For those sometimes short range comupins I'd stick with a 4.5 x 20. Ever try to pick up a loping coyote at 50 yards with a 6 power?

For strictly LR hunting/shooting I'm with you on my 5.5-22 NXS. Decades of proven reliability means a lot to me. Mine hasn't let me down (the only one so far), and it's the only one I trust. For an all around scope (hunting, shooting, match, tactical) that serves well as a long range optic the 3.6-18 MK5 I'm running is growing on me. However it hasn't been on long enough to be trusted, gonna take a lot for any Leupold to replace my NightForce in that category.

NX8 2.5-20x50, my new favorite.
I don't dial for wind so the FFP makes holding windage nice on any power when the mirage is bad.

I'd take a 5.5-22x50 if this scope never happened.

For me it would mean one scope for several rifles, and activities. The question already splits into hunting and shooting.
In principal I hate giving up the low end as that's where I usually end up, no matter my intentions something generally comes out close.
Hunting also entails various rodents and coyotes, so like the one rifle question it becomes giving up more than I plan to.

I have the NXS 5.5-22x56 and it's been my go to for a long time. I have sightron s3's as well in the 6-24x50, STAC 4-20, and leupold 3-18x50 vx6hd.

I am really struggling with the decision to get another leupold and possibly sell my NF. The weight savings of the leupold for a long range back pack carry rifle is very appealing and the glass has been quite good. The vx6 is bright and pleasant to look through, not super crazy about the MOA reticle but the built in anticant and illumination is very appealing from a hunter stand point.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.