If you had to pick one, Nightforce or G7 BR2?

Bravo29

My 338 RUM should be complete in the next month. I can buy a G7 BR2 and use a vortex HS LR 4-16 off of another rifle or buy a Nightforce and stick with my vortex 1000 rangefinder and work up my loads/dope.

I cant buy both this year. What would you guys go with?

This is for LR elk hunting and ELR yote hunting with 285's and 300's. Blueprinted 700/26"bull/fat bastard brake/20 moa rail/Bobby hart LRT stock

I've had a set up very similar, 338 RUM, Hart LRT stock and a 4-16 HS LR also have one in the shop for a build. I would totally go with the Nightforce, you'll be wanting it the HS LR is fine but you'll be hating on the thickness of the reticle and wanting more with a rifle of that capability a Nightforce would finish it of!! A used Leica 1600 runs $550 give or take and would be a solid companion to that Nightforce!!

I never really considered the Leica after reading some mixed reviews. I could probably swing the NF and a used Leica before fall without having to sleep on the couch for to long.

Thanks for the replies

I never really considered the Leica after reading some mixed reviews. I could probably swing the NF and a used Leica before fall without having to sleep on the couch for to long.

Thanks for the replies

I have used the Leica's for years with never an issue. My go to rangefinder for ELR is a Vectronix PLRF10, but my back up is a Leica 1600 CRF I bought used for $500. Sold the G7 BR2 I had as I prefer a phone app for the wind calls and I have to carry a wind meter for an accurate wind speed anyway. Not that the G7 is not a good piece, just not to my preference for the way I hunt.

Jeff

I went the Nightforce and leica route. I put my rear shooting bag over the top of my scope and rest the rangefinder on it to steady it (I do believe Broz taught me that one!). I have ranged my target out to 1900 yds that way with my leica 1600. But if you do go this way and get serious about taking game at LR, you are going to need to purchase a hand held weather station and an app like shooter. You don't have to but it sure helps a lot and helps when you go somewhere at different elevations. For example, say you live in Louisiana and go hunting up in Colorado at 9000 ft.

You can always do a drop chart by verifying you drops at different ranges but the kestrel is going to help you with the wind as there is no guessing with it.

I'm in Colorado, I live at 5000 ft. My favorite hunting spot is at 9000 ft. with lots of opportunities for VERY long shots, well beyond my capability or even the capability of the 338 RUM.

I have taken some 600 yard shots with my 338 WM but have become obsessed with the hard hitting capabilities of the larger 338's and intend to develop charts for my favorite area. There is no substitute for practice so I intend to start my load development ASAP and spend some time this spring shooting yotes and at the 1000 yard range in Laramie.

I'm just looking for the best tools for the job. If I'm not comfortable with the shot I wont take it at big game but varmint on the other hand.

I'll probably pick up a Leica 1600 after I get everything else together.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.