If you had to choose

went round and round with the collet die verses 21st's mandrels. Granted the collet takes care of runout but what about neck tension?

Another member said this..

and another this...
Ok, if I'm understanding you correctly... "neck tension", there are quite a few ways to skin that cat, so in my case and used a .308 Win with Fl or neck sized brass either works, I make the last step crimping with a LEE factory crimp die, it gives me consistent neck tension and somewhat better concentricity between the bullet and case. So you can have tension in this case in two ways, use case neck tension uniformity by turning the necks and then opening them with a mandrel.... or just uniformly crimp the tension into the neck and bullet LEE factory crimp die does this very well, now it may not work for all disciplines but for the shooting that I was doing it worked just fine, look into the LEE factory crimp die concept with or without cannelured bullets. Cheers

Ya I FL, open with mandrels and then turn. I have a Lee factory crimp die, I'll give it a whirl in the AM. I thought about it but was concerned about my .001 neck tension would go away.

1/8 of a turn just barely crimping, but it looks like it will center the bullet. Sounds like a plan. I'll try out shortly. Thanks. I was just scaaird at first ! But I feel confident it won't mess with neck tension.

Last edited:
the .001 tension is good but who knows maybe the crimp will help. I have a .3075 mandrel, maybe I could experiment crimping with that too.

You don't use honed neck dies, so how can you disagree?
Bushing dies cause more runout than a honed neck die and you base YOUR dimension on the honed neck by YOUR brass.
Anyway, I don't think you understand the concept, so I'll leave it there.
Carry on.

Cheers.
I believe the argument was about decappers/button expanders. They do off set necks regardless of how much brass they move.

anybody else wanna chime in and tell me that necks don't have to be turned if you use a honed neck die?
And..... why can't a standard FL die have thier necks at .002 neck tension without ball expanders ?

Last edited: