If you had to choose

Magnum Maniac

disagree. Concentricity numbers don't lie, expander ball/decapper verses mandrel neck sizing in my case. As far as honed dies, well that doesn't change neck thickness, it doesn't over work the brass. Neck thickness which will effect neck tension, sure does.

I'll go along with honed dies lessen neck tension ya that's the other aspect.

Last edited:
No it doesn't, unless the amount of brass movement is large.
This is why you have your neck honed in the die. You lube the inside with graphite and the expander then brings the neck up to .002" under bullet diameter, or whatever you want, by only moving the brass .001".
You can also hone the neck, not use the expander and then mandrel.
What you have read is only ONE aspect of having honed neck dies.
Redding also move the body a minimal amount, as does the Forster BR.

Cheers.
I agree with you. I thought the OP was looking for an un modified die. My misunderstanding.

Magnum Maniac

disagree. Concentricity numbers don't lie, expander ball/decapper verses mandrel neck sizing in my case. As far as honed dies, well that doesn't change neck thickness, it doesn't over work the brass. Neck thickness which will effect neck tension, sure does.

I'll go along with honed dies lessen neck tension ya that's the other aspect.
You don't use honed neck dies, so how can you disagree?
Bushing dies cause more runout than a honed neck die and you base YOUR dimension on the honed neck by YOUR brass.
Anyway, I don't think you understand the concept, so I'll leave it there.
Carry on.

Cheers.

I'm just going by Forsters write up... I am missing something then. Explain

I get mixed reviews on bushing and mandrels, but I see just about everybody on board about expander buttons/decapper rods. I saw my runout drop quite a bit. Even with the hype on Forsters elevated expander. I tried, and the mandrel, pushing, is way better.

I recently had Wilson in line seater custom to my brass, so I get it.

Last edited:
I get wanting the biggest bang for your buck. But .001-.0015 runout isn't anything to worry about. I'd be more concerned with my brass getting sized correctly to fit my chamber than a tick of runout.

Some guys can care less either, Erik Cortina measuring .004 and F Class John.

Redding have tight tolerances in the neck, never seen more than .002" over button diameter.
Forster offer a neck honing service, this is what I use and recommend for comp guns.
I also use this service on my precision/varmint/hunting rifles as it is cheap enough. I still use Redding Delixs die sets as Forster don't do every chambering out there.
Both ing wrong with RCBS either if you have SAAMI chambers.
I haven't used Wilson dies to date.

Cheers.

what about other than comp guns?

sounds like less work on brass and no bushings or mandreling would be nice.

I have a combination of RCBS and Redding dies. If I had to pick one over the other I would go with Redding. All my dies get the Hornady lock nuts.

the split rings are the best, no doubt. But when I first started to handload, the first die set I bought was Lyman. Thier die rings had lead behind the set screw. I recently got FA coaxial press with thier die blocks. The set screws kept coming loose, mainly because they are brass and locktite doesn't help . So I cut off tips of some FN .30 bullets and inserted the lead in the hole inside the block. Fixed.

I get wanting the biggest bang for your buck. But .001-.0015 runout isn't anything to worry about. I'd be more concerned with my brass getting sized correctly to fit my chamber than a tick of runout.
We have done extensive testing of multiple production rifles with SAMI spec chambers and have found that a runout of up to 0.003" has little impact on group size. There are other factors that seem to have more impact such as choice of powder, bullets, brass, primer, neck tension, trigger pull........and the big one......the skill of the shooter. Sometimes I think we all get too focused on the little things that are easy to measure and lose sight of the bigger picture. The US, British and Israeli military (and others) have proven a trained marksman with a production rifle, a good scope and production match quality ammo can be taught to consistently engage targets at extended ranges of 1000+ yards. Good equipment will compensate somewhat for a lack of training and shooter skill but shooting is a perishable skill. Nothing beats trigger time to get familiar with our equipment and keep our skills sharp. Too bad we have supply chain issues, high inflation and find the shelves are mostly empty. Hopefully the good ole days will return soon so we can spend more time at the range or in the field. OK......now back to another cup of coffee (ha ha)

We have done extensive testing of multiple production rifles with SAMI spec chambers and have found that a runout of up to 0.003" has little impact on group size. There are other factors that seem to have more impact such as choice of powder, bullets, brass, primer, neck tension, trigger pull........and the big one......the skill of the shooter. Sometimes I think we all get too focused on the little things that are easy to measure and lose sight of the bigger picture. The US, British and Israeli military (and others) have proven a trained marksman with a production rifle, a good scope and production match quality ammo can be taught to consistently engage targets at extended ranges of 1000+ yards. Good equipment will compensate somewhat for a lack of training and shooter skill but shooting is a perishable skill. Nothing beats trigger time to get familiar with our equipment and keep our skills sharp. Too bad we have supply chain issues, high inflation and find the shelves are mostly empty. Hopefully the good ole days will return soon so we can spend more time at the range or in the field. OK......now back to another cup of coffee (ha ha)

I agree 100%......that's the problem with the internet.....someone says something and it gets repeated a bazillion times by folks that have never tested anything on their own. And some honestly don't have the equipment nor the skill to determine anything in a definitive fashion.........but such and such said it so its gotta be true!!! 😅