If you had a choice ?

Years of hunting have taught me to pick the largest caliber on your list which would be a 284 barrel. In fact, my latest rifle is a 280 Remington and I'm in the process of getting it ready for hunting season. I picked a 280 Remington because I wanted a 8 pound rifle/w scope and sling with a 22 inch barrel. I would have picked a 280 Ackley if I had chosen a 24 inch barrel. All of my current hunting rifle have 22 inch barrels including multiple 30-06 and 338-06 rifles. They are easy to carry and very user friendly. The 280 Remington that I just added makes a good 300 yard+ rifle and that is long range for me. Didn't notice the thread was so old!

Last edited:
I'm going to have a new rifle built. I'm having a real mental excerise in regards to which caliber to go with.

I've already had this gunmaker turn me out a beautiful rifle in a 30/06. I figured I couldn't go wrong with this classic.
I know it will do everything I'm looking for in a rifle, but figured I need another rifle a little more specialized.
wink.gif

The main purpose of this rifle will be for Whitetail,Mule Deer & Antelope with the ability to reach out & touch.

I know most calibers will do the job. What I'm looking for is a caliber that is very effiecent,fairly low recoil,shoots a high coefficient bullet & is flat shooting.

My choices have come down to the following.

6.5 X 284
7 Rem Mag.

Looking for some opinions on my choices & other recommendations.

Thanks
Split the difference and look at the standard 284 win. With today's bullets and powders, they will outperform factory 7mm magnum ammunition easily. Less powder, less recoil better accuracy. Do yourself a favor and check it out.

I think I've settled on the cartridge (for Now ???)
grin.gif

Drum Roll...........

The winner is !!!!!!!

The 7 Rem Mag !

When I compare it to some of the other choices,it's just the best suited for what I'm looking for in regards to efficientcy & overall rate of return.
I did think about the 7 STW, but thought my gain over the 7mm Rem Mag was not worth the additional powder charge & recoil.

I want to thank everyone for their replys, if anyone has any other thoughts or suggestion I would appreciate them.

Thanks,

Smart man, the Big 7's a fantastic round!