If you could only have one gun...

The OP said one gun in the opening volley, and most opted for interesting rifle choices. A few went with the one "gun" and that one gun was a 12 gauge shotgun, a good choice to answer the question. But, in my world that one gun would be my fast twist .220 Swift. At 75, going on 76 years of age soon, my big game hunting is limited to deer and antelope. The Swift will take care of that with 75-80 grain bullets with the JLK my fovorite. When they run out, the rifle loves Bergers as well Barnes. Limited varmint and pest shooting takes up the rest of my time, and if a ruffed grouse is on the menu, the Swift can pick off a head as well as anything.

The number of available bullets for these chores is vast. There are at least some weights from 50 to 80 grain always on hand somewhere. Brass issues? Swift brass is like a lot of brass, tough to find. But when brass was starting to disappear of dealer shelves, I stocked up with more than enough to last me to my final day of pulling a trigger. And when paper punching comes into play, my Swift is fun to shoot off the bench. Shoot a barrel out? They make more blanks every day. Some talk about the Swift being a barrel burner, but I know of a lot of current popular cartridges that are a lot tougher on barrels that the Swift. In fact, with current steels used in barrels, short barrel life with the Swift is an old wives tale....

Holy smokes! Talk about a blast from the past! I typed that up 17 years ago.
That 338 RUM went down the road, but not before it accounted for a bull elk and some whitetail deer.
My choice now would probably be my Rock Creek barreled 8mm Rem mag. I've killed elk, bears, whitetails, and coyotes with it. It shoots itty bitty groups and the cool factor is off the scale.
Keep it going guys!

One firearm, just can't go there. My wife would go into a coma, die or ? from shock. But if I had to choose for some reason it would be some kind of 30 caliber, simply because of all the reloading supplies I have.

Do this little survey anywhere else except in the USA and the answers will be different. Me, I have been running a 6.5-284 for many years, I am now running a 6.5 PRC, going on 3 years. I have zero issue taking it anywhere. That rifle killed a bison, pretty tough animal, but is it the best..... some people like red heads or blondes or brunettes, in the end they all drive ya crazy so does it really matter.....
A bison?? With a 6.5 PRC? What bullet were you using?

Alright, I'd have to go with a switch barrel setup too if that was allowed. Blaser etc. 6.5 PRC/300 PRC/375 Ruger and might as well start handloading if I can only have one rifle.

Since that's cheating, I'd have to go with my Fierce 7 RM. 300 WM is more effective on bigger game as is the 338 WM, or 375 H&H even more so but the penalty in recoil is too much for me. I more often hunt deer and coyote than anything, so 7 RM is plenty and will cover up to moose and elk comfortably as well. If only one rifle and cartridge it has to be popular and widely available which is why it's not a 280AI or 7PRC.

Last edited:
A bison?? With a 6.5 PRC? What bullet were you using?

Alright, I'd have to go with a switch barrel setup too if that was allowed. Blaser etc. 6.5 PRC/300 PRC/375 Ruger and might as well start handloading if I can only have one rifle.

Since that's cheating, I'd have to go with my Fierce 7 RM. 300 WM is more effective on bigger game as is the 338 WM, or 375 H&H even more so but the penalty in recoil is too much for me. I more often hunt deer and coyote than anything, so 7 RM is plenty and will cover up to moose and elk comfortably as well. If only one rifle and cartridge it has to be popular and widely available which is why it's not a 280AI or 7PRC.

Wow, a 156 EOL Berger? I would have guessed a controlled expansion/mono metal. But, like always, shot placement trumps displacement.

If I'm ever lucky enough to get a buffalo tag, planned to use my 300 PRC with a mono metal. Or, finally justify my hankering for a 375 ruger just because :)

Recent Posts