If you could only have one gun...

I love that rifle. Has a lot of firepower and with proper tuning it is a devastating sniper rifle for a squad sniper. Suppressed really adds to the stealthiness. Watched a Vietnam documentary about snipers. The M14 was used at close range to kill 12 VCs crossing a river at night. Hard to do that with a bolt gun.

Thank you

It is a very reliable system with brute precision. I ran all 10 mags (18 rounds/mag) through it over time to ensure flawless functionality. The 11.25 Obermeyer that I spun up from a blank loves the M118 LRs.

Been thinking about this a lot lately.

I would want something along the lines of an ultralight arms .284 WIN. A nice lightweight .280 AI would work also. Something easy to pack, easy-ish in recoil, and accurate. The only factor that would sway me is that it would be nice to be able to source factory ammo off the shelf if needed. So that leads me to 7-08. I like 7mm's I guess…. Sure wish the 7 WSM or 7 RSAUM were more popular.

Been thinking about this a lot lately.

I would want something along the lines of an ultralight arms .284 WIN. A nice lightweight .280 AI would work also. Something easy to pack, easy-ish in recoil, and accurate. The only factor that would sway me is that it would be nice to be able to source factory ammo off the shelf if needed. So that leads me to 7-08. I like 7mm's I guess…. Sure wish the 7 WSM or 7 RSAUM were more popular.
Don't know how available 284Win ammo is but likely not as available as 7mm/08 or 308Win. The 308Win is about as universal hunting cartridge as there is. Reloaders can use new components and the highest available 30 cal bullets available to make the 308 perform way beyond the typical sniper rounds. Pushing a high BC 150 gr copper bullet 3000 fps is easy from a compact 20-22" barrel. The increased range and penetration of the high BC copper bullets dramatically elevates the performance on game, with very mild recoil. Those that criticize this idea have never tried it. Availability of factory ammo is great as well.

Factory round:
Weatherby six lug. 338 RPM / Hammer Hunter 175 grain bullets

Wildcat: Allen Mag 7 necked to 8mm / Hammer Hunter 198 grain bullets
How about some specifics
Barrel length, BC of bullet, muzzle velocity, ammo price and availability?

Weatherby loads Hammer Hunter 185 grainers so I would switch to that for a factory set up. The ammo is about $100 a box and runs 3,100 feet per second from the 24" barrel. I saw it on a few web sights.

The 8mm wildcat exists only in my mind. (Maybe nest year it will be a reality.) I expect the Hammer Hunter 198 grainers would have a velocity of about 3,300 feet per second. Its estimated G7 B.C. is .248. I had a 28" barrel installed on my .375 and also installed a brake on it. I used it for one whole season in Western Oregon to see if its longer than normal length would catch on a branch or anything. During the five weeks, it hit one branch. Therefore, the 8 wildcat would sport a 28" barrel with a big brake. I have no idea what Allen Magnum is charging for his 7mm brass. It's based on the .338 Lapua Magnum improved, so expect it's a pile of $tens to get 100 cases. Allen magnums are readily available, so I presume the brass cases are also.

Presently I have an 8mm wildcat that looks like a 7 Weatherby necked up. I use Norma 7 Rem Mag brass with the belts turned off and the rims machined to fit the small six lug Weatherby. I fire the Hunter Hunter 198's from its 24" barrel at 3,054 feet per second. Over the years it has proven to be a great game getter. The scope weighs 22 ounces and brings the loaded weight to 7 pounds read to kill.

Well it would be a toss up between the .308 and the '06. Either will get-r-done for everything I would be able to hunt in this part of the ocuntry, and if I was only allowed the one, ell it would work just about anywhere else I would want to go as well.

Either can be loaded to shoot extreemly tight groups, and ammo can be found for both just about anywhere. Just in cse I happend to leave the green box sitting by the door again. LOL
^^^^^This. Case closed.

Weatherby loads Hammer Hunter 185 grainers so I would switch to that for a factory set up. The ammo is about $100 a box and runs 3,100 feet per second from the 24" barrel. I saw it on a few web sights.

The 8mm wildcat exists only in my mind. (Maybe nest year it will be a reality.) I expect the Hammer Hunter 198 grainers would have a velocity of about 3,300 feet per second. Its estimated G7 B.C. is .248. I had a 28" barrel installed on my .375 and also installed a brake on it. I used it for one whole season in Western Oregon to see if its longer than normal length would catch on a branch or anything. During the five weeks, it hit one branch. Therefore, the 8 wildcat would sport a 28" barrel with a big brake. I have no idea what Allen Magnum is charging for his 7mm brass. It's based on the .338 Lapua Magnum improved, so expect it's a pile of $tens to get 100 cases. Allen magnums are readily available, so I presume the brass cases are also.

Presently I have an 8mm wildcat that looks like a 7 Weatherby necked up. I use Norma 7 Rem Mag brass with the belts turned off and the rims machined to fit the small six lug Weatherby. I fire the Hunter Hunter 198's from its 24" barrel at 3,054 feet per second. Over the years it has proven to be a great game getter. The scope weighs 22 ounces and brings the loaded weight to 7 pounds read to kill.
Well. With a .308 150 gr Badlands Precision BD2 bullet and SRP brass using LVR power from a 1:10 24" barrel can do anything that Weatherby can do for far less than $5/shot with much less recoil and with readily available brass. Even large rifle primer brass can be used. I use this recipe all the time. I get 3050 fps with only 49 gr of LVR and with 50 gr, it's going faster. The G7=0.264, better than that 185 gr bullet and far better than the 175 gr .338 bullet (G7=0.198). I find hunting rifles with 28" barrels are clumsy because of the length of the barrel. Getting in and out of boats or vehicles and walking through thick brush is problematic.

My first thought was my 1943... Win 1894 .30 WCF... then I said; get real perhaps the best might be the .375 H&H but... thinking a little harder and what it would have to do I decided my M1A 7.62x51mm NATO would have to be the pick, especially into days world... Ωmega Man. Cheers

Resized_20190831_085259 (1).jpeg

Well. With a .308 150 gr Badlands Precision BD2 bullet and SRP brass using LVR power from a 1:10 24" barrel can do anything that Weatherby can do for far less than $5/shot with much less recoil and with readily available brass. Even large rifle primer brass can be used. I use this recipe all the time. I get 3050 fps with only 49 gr of LVR and with 50 gr, it's going faster. The G7=0.264, better than that 185 gr bullet and far better than the 175 gr .338 bullet (G7=0.198). I find hunting rifles with 28" barrels are clumsy because of the length of the barrel. Getting in and out of boats or vehicles and walking through thick brush is problematic.

I need to try the 150 BD2 in my M1A suppressed hunter. With the Remington SRP brass,CCI41, and 2000 MR, I run the 168 Hybrids at 2800, I should at least get that and maybe another 100 with the 22 inch barrel. Got some LVR coming for the load work. Not worried about port pressure issue on op rod, got that mitigated or can tame it down even further.

My first thought was my 1943... Win 1894 .30 WCF... then I said; get real perhaps the best might be the .375 H&H but... thinking a little harder and what it would have to do I decided my M1A 7.62x51mm NATO would have to be the pick, especially into days world... Ωmega Man. Cheers

View attachment 450788

Thank you for sharing. Nice rig.

My favorite battle rifle, and service rifle competition gun, even against the ubiquitous black guns on the firing line. The 3 Amigos, all double lugged.

The Tres Amigos.jpg

Blast from the past. At around 3 minutes time, you can see how the rifle behaves in rapid fire.

Last edited: