If you could only have 3 long guns, which would you choose?

The only reason to limit yourself is an end of the world type event. So my choice would reflect what ammo I think I could find. As of today I would have a 9mm pistol, 22lr, .223, .308 and a 12ga. The .308 could just as easily be a 30-06 and the .223 could be swapped for a .762x39 . If limited to one, it would be the 22lr. Only because you could carry tens of thousands of rounds, if you had to.

This might not be in the spirit of the OP's question but I'm into single shots with interchangeable barrels so two of my choices will be a stainless T/C Contender frame I have 18 barrels from 22LR - 45-70 - 50 cal muzzle loader for it, next would be a stainless T/C Prohunter frame I have 4 barrels for it shortened to 24" 25-06 - shortened to 22" 30-06 & 375H&H and a 20" Katahdin 45-70 barrel.

Last but not least is a toss up if hunting is more of the concern I'd go with my shortened to 21" Rem 700 LSS in 375RUM if defense I'd go with my 22" fluted factory tapered Rem 700 Light Tactical Rifle in 6.8SPC it sits in a Magpul hunter stock 10 round 223 mags hold 8 6.8SPC rounds.

I'm in Canada if I wasn't I'd have an AR15 on my list with uppers in 223 - 6.8SPC - 450 Bushmaster

22WMR, .223/5.56, 7MMRM in the rifle category. However, you said long guns, so, I guess I would have to exchange the 22 for a 12 Gauge. You would need to be a better wing shot than I am on waterfowl and upland birds in order to be effective with a rifle!

This is a subject I have pondered for 50 years+. I took my first action on the concept and built 4 custom rifles in 1977. Beginning with Ruger #1 single shot actions and Shillen barrel blanks I commissioned my gunsmith to build one each in 22LR, 22Hornet, 270 Win and 375H&H. They were to be as close to the same weight and balance as possible so that I could hunt the world over with a gun that fit and felt the same. I eventually tired of them and proliferation set in until I found myself loading for 41 different calibers. As I began preparations to retire and move to a smaller house I began working on parring down my collection. I have now settled on one rifle, a Blaser R8 with .223, 308, and 300 Win Mag Barrels. I'm finished with all my Africa hunting so no longer need a 375 but if I did I would add that to my R8 Barrels.

Easy. My Valmet 412 12/30-06 and my Anschutz 54 sporter .22LR. Oh, and my 1-6
LPS on either one, thank you claw mounts. The .30 and .22 are 1/2MOA propositions. The 12 and tube chokes cover anything in flight. And if I had unlimited reloading capability, I could get along without a .22. No other CF rifle chambering offers more flexibility of performance than the 30-06. And as for shotgun, same story.
The rest is lip service when the stakes are for real.
Beware the man with one gun. He's not a collector.

CBX

Last edited: