If you could only have 3 long guns, which would you choose?

Nothing wrong with those either except availability of ammo.
Yes, that is a serious issue.

My brother has a Remington VSSF-II in .220 swift. It has put up several 0.25" 5 shot groups with handloaded 40gr Vmax bullets. Seems like they chrono'd around 3950. The Swift is a fun round. Just got to watch it on loading. The semi-rimmed case will get you jammed up.

Call me old fashion but I would take the proven old standbys 22LR, Winchester270 and the 300 Win mag. One could make a point that being in Alaska to switch the 300 out to the 375.

Call me old fashion but I would take the proven old standbys 22LR, Winchester270 and the 300 Win mag. One could make a point that being in Alaska to switch the 300 out to the 375.

I kind of want a Ruger Alaskan Hawkeye in .375. I think with all the new bullet technology, that it would be a dandy deer downer with a 270 Interlock.

Maybe I should pair down my collection. Truthfully, I have my favorites and the others could be framed and hung on a wall. Some are invaluable but for sentimental reasons. I'm not asking for those to be included in the list. But let's say, purely for whimsical gab, that you could only have 3 calibers, any calibers, which would you choose?

(1) I have just about every caliber you can think of and I wouldn't want 3 if I knew what I know now. A 300 Norma Magnum .284 will take down any animal on the planet. Mine is actually an AI, no gun is more accurate either. If you wanted a lighter rifle to go with it. A 7MM SAUM 6.5 would be my other choice. I also have a .338 Lapua AI.

Most of us have guns we'll NEVER shot again and I honestly have guns I've never shot because it was the new great got to have gun.

Hope this helps,

Harvey

I respect your choices, but tell me why the 300 Holland & Holland? Isn't it below the 308 Norma performance-wise? I'm merely curious.
Because my grandfather died 3 days before I was born in 1957, and I have his Model 70 in 300 H&H given to me by my aunt on my 16th birthday... Plus, it shoots almost identically to the .300 Win Mag, but I can use longer, heavier bullets and its killed everything from pronghorn to nilgai.

Because my grandfather died 3 days before I was born in 1957, and I have his Model 70 in 300 H&H given to me by my aunt on my 16th birthday... Plus, it shoots almost identically to the .300 Win Mag, but I can use longer, heavier bullets and its killed everything from pronghorn to nilgai.
That is an amazing story! I would cherish it too!

It's a Remage . So Remington action with a savage style barrel and barrel nut. No smith involved. Just take the barreled action out of the stock. Put it in a barrel vice. Remove the nut, unscrew the barrel and apply whatever barrel/caliber you want as long as it uses the same bolt face. Chamber the no go/ go gauges and head space it. Lock down the barrel nut and put it back in your stock. Takes only slightly longer to do than it did to explain it.
So if I want a 7 practical I would just buy that cambered barrel. Or for that matter 257 weatherby, 264 win mag, 300 win mag , any caliber that uses a magnum bolt face.
Thank you WahooYahoo for the informing reply!!

A 50 BMG for extended range with proper scope and accessories to fit the job. My .300 Whby mag for long range hunts. And my AR15 for any thing 300m or closer, long patrols and defense. I choose two of these firearms due to ammo availability and all three for durability.