If you could only have 3 long guns, which would you choose?

Vudoo 22 LR, 223 ai on a 700, 6.5x47 on a 700. I'm going 4 and my Franchi 12 gauge is fine for all bird shooting.

This is like being sentenced for a violent crime (like the liberals limiting the 2nd Ammendment). If you love guns, love to shoot or hunt you can't survive with just 3 long guns.......that's like asking a woman to survive with 3 pair of shoes!

This is like being sentenced for a violent crime (like the liberals limiting the 2nd Ammendment). If you love guns, love to shoot or hunt you can't survive with just 3 long guns.......that's like asking a woman to survive with 3 pair of shoes!

I think the minimum has to be 6

.22LR
6 mm Remington
6.5 PRC
.30-06
12 gauge 3" shotgun

But then under .22's you need lever, pump, bolt and semi auto actions.
Need a .17m2, .17 hmr and/or a 5 mm Remington for the longer shots at gophers

A .17 Remington for the really long shots at gophers

A .220 Swift for those longer shots at woodchucks and coyotes... to spell the 6 mm remington

One needs a cowboy lever action .30-30 or .45-70 with an octagon barrel for shooting one's second deer...or a black bear in the huckle berry patch for memories of an earlier time.

A 20 gauge for shooting pats.. and grouse

And darn, I almost forgot my favorite .25-06 for shooting coyotes, bobcats, cougar, antelope, deer and elk.

And it goes on and on... No way can a person live with 3 long rifles and I am glad we don't have too. And if I had grown up east of the Mississippi or in a large city, would probably had to have a .300 WM and/or a .338 Lapua for shooting elk.

Last edited:
.22 LR - for plinking, having fun, training new people, taking out vermin in close proximity to neighbors (sub-sonic ammo is great for this.)

12 ga - gotta have something to cover the things that fly. Nothing is more versatile (but I wouldn't feel unduly handicapped with a 20 ga. and modern ammo.)

.375 H&H Magnum - covers all the game a .22LR can't handle, including Africa's big 5; can reload to tame it down for deer and such.

Fun mental exercise. God Bless America...where we are fortunate to have the ability to own far more than just three long guns. Remember that when you vote in 2020...you will vote, right?

Assuming you mean to exclude .22 rimfire (my first choice) and shotgun cartridges, I would say: .223/5.56, .308 Winchester, and .300 Win Mag.

Assuming that you do not intend to exclude those, my answer would be:

.22 LR, 12 Gauge (preferably 3 inch magnum capable), and .300 Win Mag.

My "old timey" group would be:
1. 280 Rem
2. 220 Swift
3. 7stw

My current picks are:
1. 6.5 Sherman
2. 6.5-284
3. 7stw

My pending favorites are:
1. 6.5 SS
2. 7SS
3. ????

Say??? Do long guns, with multiple barrels for different cartridges, still count as one? I don't see a rifle in my safes that I could part with, so guess I broke the rules. Count me out.

The only way I could see only being able to own 3 long guns would involve situations that bring out the preper in me so I would say

An AR 15 in 5.56 nato
An AR 10 in 7.62 nato
And a barret in 50 bmg

What ever you want to shoot at, at what ever range you want to shoot you got it covered worth those.

Note : I only actually own one of those ;)