If you could only have 3 long guns, which would you choose?

Hey SMK 1000 it would be fun to take you duck hunting. Can I shoot your limit too ;)-

LOL. :D

I believe that the OP asked about caliber, referring to rifles, not handguns, pistols, shotguns, blackpowder guns, etc. I also did not count rimfire rifles in my consideration as I'll never have just three of them either. So yes, I specified centerfire rifles only.

I have however, bagged my limit in ducks once or twice. :D If it were legal, :rolleyes:, I believe that I could have nearly as easily bagged my limit in geese and ducks with a 223 Rem, or even better, a 22 LR rifle, in a few places I've hunted them!

Mr. Williams, of Williams' Sausage just outside of Union City TN, had a private pond with built in concrete duck blind for about 20 shooters, and it had a full kitchen with gas stove and gas refrigerator where he would cook Willaims' Sausage and eggs for all , while everyone else hunted. It was about 100 acres of unharvested corn fields, backed up directly against the famous Reelfoot Lake game preserve! When a buddy of mine and worked at his sausage plant, as refrigeration contractors for 8 months, back in the early '90s, he overheard is discussing all the ducks and geese flying over the whole area and he invited us to go duck hunting with him when the season opened in a few weeks. Long story short, we went hunting with him every morning that entire duck and goose season. The duck and geese came in such numbers that we would easily limit out 8:30am and be at work by 9:30am every day! The way they came into the 300 plus decoys he had spread, and as close as they came in, one could easily have bagged ones limit with a 22 LR rifle.

Though it isn't legal, there is no doubt in my mind that many proficient riflemen, COULD take a limit of ducks or geese right out of the air, with a 22 LR rifle, under the right conditions. ;)

I live in Northwestern Alaska, at the beginning of the Kobuk river Delta. We have and hunt all sorts of critters for food.. (Fish alot too).. 17 HM2 for smaller game, 223/5.56 for medium sized game and I really like my good ol 30-06.. 125 - 220 grain, mostly 165 for Caribou, 180 for Moose & 220 for Dem Grizzlies.. Also must have the 12 guage for ducks and geese..

375 Ruger, have a 20 inch Alaskan (left handed), thank you Ruger. Probably the most versatile gun I own, not perfect for much, but can handle any game and is accurate.
7mm - stw or ultra mag. Have both and love them
And either a 22LR or .223
Not much that will not cover.

Maybe I should pair down my collection. Truthfully, I have my favorites and the others could be framed and hung on a wall. Some are invaluable but for sentimental reasons. I'm not asking for those to be included in the list. But let's say, purely for whimsical gab, that you could only have 3 calibers, any calibers, which would you choose?
22mag, 22-250. 338 plus 223