If you could move anywhere in the US where would you go?

Custer County Colorado is about as conservative as it gets. Custer County Home Page Great Sheriff, very few people on the local government payroll and they intend to keep it that way. Low property taxes. County population 3500 in summer and maybe 2500 in winter. No building code. Max building height restriction of 25ft and must own 36 acres to be able to water animals. Right to farm law. Walmart and other "big box stores" are banned. Strong restrictions on outdoor advertising. If allowed, signs have to be small and natural colors.

Water rights can be complicated as in all places out west. Its best to get a professional opinion prior to closing or discuss with the township office so you understand the legal language. There is a state fee for putting a well in addition to the actual cost of drilling etc. I believe about $3000. From what I can gather expect to see this anywhere in the state where you are allowed to drill.

Plenty sunshine, the valley runs N/S so sunlight gets through fine.

westcliffechurch01.jpg

fp-bearbasinview01.jpg

pathway03.jpg

sangres03.jpg

Yep... I gotta agree that Westcliffe is probably the most beautiful place we've ever seen. We were moving there, had the land, house and barn all picked out in the Bull Domingo area, had the plans set to move.

Then Colorado went to the 'dark side'. So those plans are gone. Needless to say we are crushed as the Wet Valley is probably the most beautiful valley we've experienced. My wife actually cried.

So now we're looking up around the Wapiti area and just north of Cody. Not as beautiful as the Wet Valley, but a pretty close second!

Doc

Yep... I gotta agree that Westcliffe is probably the most beautiful place we've ever seen. We were moving there, had the land, house and barn all picked out in the Bull Domingo area, had the plans set to move.

Then Colorado went to the 'dark side'. So those plans are gone. Needless to say we are crushed as the Wet Valley is probably the most beautiful valley we've experienced. My wife actually cried.

So now we're looking up around the Wapiti area and just north of Cody. Not as beautiful as the Wet Valley, but a pretty close second!

Doc

Will see they have not voted yet, and its not like the east coast out there. I mean whose going to catch us? I'm a felon here in NY by definition right now as are all my friends. So thank god for the 5th amendment protecting us from self incrimination. That's the exact area we are looking at to. I too have come close to crying over all this BS.

Will see they have not voted yet, and its not like the east coast out there. I mean whose going to catch us? I'm a felon here in NY by definition right now as are all my friends. So thank god for the 5th amendment protecting us from self incrimination. That's the exact area we are looking at to. I too have come close to crying over all this BS.

A couple of things to consider...

First, these laws may be struck down by the SCOTUS eventually.

Second, there will probably be some political backlash in CO especially when some companies start moving out of state and some people start feel the money tighten from lack of hunting tourism. There are still a lot of conservatives there and some moderates who may decide the Dems are over the top. A few more conservatives moving in State may help to shift the balance.

I think NY and other Eastern states are lost causes. Their only hope is the SCOTUS.

I have written the local sheriff about potentially starting a program to provide owner of high cap magazines with a letter from the Sheriffs office verifying possession of specified high cap magazines prior to the effective date of the potential law, which can then be presented to any Colorado LEO who finds a magazine in a roadside stop scenario. Last thing one wants is to settle lawful ownership in court in front of a judge.

I have asked that this service be available to out of state residents who frequent the area. Will see where this leads.

I have not given up yet. The next election will show whether anyone changed their mind regarding those in power. In my opinion, the only way conservatives are going to survive is by concentrating their numbers in places they want to be. The cities fundamentally are out because of the number of people receiving government funds.

A couple of things to consider...

First, these laws may be struck down by the SCOTUS eventually.

Second, there will probably be some political backlash in CO especially when some companies start moving out of state and some people start feel the money tighten from lack of hunting tourism. There are still a lot of conservatives there and some moderates who may decide the Dems are over the top. A few more conservatives moving in State may help to shift the balance.

I think NY and other Eastern states are lost causes. Their only hope is the SCOTUS.

I know man north east is lost!

I hate to think of moving, leaving family and friends. Finding a new job. At this point I cannot imagine living in NY anymore. Never liked it here anyway. We were looking into the Carolina's but I'm going to wait and see what remains a free state and who falls. Scary times.

I have written the local sheriff about potentially starting a program to provide owner of high cap magazines with a letter from the Sheriffs office verifying possession of specified high cap magazines prior to the effective date of the potential law, which can then be presented to any Colorado LEO who finds a magazine in a roadside stop scenario. Last thing one wants is to settle lawful ownership in court in front of a judge.

I have asked that this service be available to out of state residents who frequent the area. Will see where this leads.

I have not given up yet. The next election will show whether anyone changed their mind regarding those in power. In my opinion, the only way conservatives are going to survive is by concentrating their numbers in places they want to be. The cities fundamentally are out because of the number of people receiving government funds.

I really, really hope that works out.

I'd love to see CO turn around, but I'm afraid that the soccer mom's, Californian's and Obammaites have pretty much ruined your beautiful, once conservative state. I'd love to move to Westcliffe, but I can't risk moving there and then having the state just go off the deep end like the New England states and not being able to move again. We'd have to live as felons for the rest of our days.

Say 'Hello" to Mrs. Burtt for us!

So it's off to Wyoming for us! Land of the free, Cowboys and Mustangs and Wild Bill Cody!

Does anybody know anything about the Shell, Wyoming area?

Doc

I live in basin which is about 20 miles from shell. Not much there other than some of the best scenery i know of

Thanks Mike! We are looking at a couple of properties along the river, want to grow hay, need a barn for the horses, and a nice sized home, about 40ish acres, more would be better! lol.

Looks like a nice small, quiet place.

Thanks!

Doc

So if any of you Wyoming fellas know of anywhere that needs a seasoned and experienced Fire Prevention Officer... I'm your guy! lol :D

I am wayyyyy past ready to leave Afghanistan! :) I want to come home and shovel horse poop with my wife in the barn!! hehehe:D

Doc

Thanks Mike! We are looking at a couple of properties along the river, want to grow hay, need a barn for the horses, and a nice sized home, about 40ish acres, more would be better! lol.

Looks like a nice small, quiet place.

Thanks!

Doc

Its a nice place. Have you looked on the trapper creek side of shell? Its beautiful in there. Should be able to grow some hay just fine anywhere around there. Our soil tends to be fairly alcalitic but as far as wyoming goes this is some of the better farm ground.

So if any of you Wyoming fellas know of anywhere that needs a seasoned and experienced Fire Prevention Officer... I'm your guy! lol :D

I am wayyyyy past ready to leave Afghanistan! :) I want to come home and shovel horse poop with my wife in the barn!! hehehe:D

Doc

LOL I would kill to be in Afghanistan over shoveling horse poop!

Recent Posts