Identify this round!

Probably not if indeed .30-06 and corrosive for sure regardless. Just that the OD of the primer looks a bit large for a std large primer. Could be the crimp is misleading my poorly calibrated eyeball.
they have a heck of a crimp and the primers are corrosive!

A buddy of mine sent me these pictures said that his father in law has like 1500 of them in the garage and he has no clue what they are....seeing if y'all could help out
Google "identify head stamping on cartridge cases" or something like that. I've done it a bunch of times. There are a zillion of them. It'll be there, but 30/06 military ball 😂

SL 43 tells me US Military, Specifically St. Louis munitions plant in 1943. the side shot tells me it is 30-06, no rim so 30-40 Krag it is not. also I would not shoot them due to the corrosive priming they had. I would suggest thorough cleaning each time you shoot due to the priming and powder of the day. I have shot the stuff out of my M-1 Garand before but it was a true chore to tear down the M-1 to clean the whole rifle including the gas system.

On-line site says that SL 57 is likely to be corrosive. I've got over 300 rounds in M1 Garand clips from the 40's and 50's that I will probably pull apart with a collet puller, some even have the most beautiful color blue-green primers that will just punch through (not out). There are still countless WWII 30-06 rounds out there that will still go bang.

Some head stamps on mine. 30-06

Attachments

• 1ECCF7E9-878F-4378-B9C2-83E043649A35.jpeg
    1ECCF7E9-878F-4378-B9C2-83E043649A35.jpeg
    677 KB · Views: 150
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts