Sauer 100 Classic 6.5 CM

kiwi: I like the 3-position safety. It is very smooth, easy and can be moved without making any noise if you keep your thumb pressure on it. I'm used to a 3-position safety because I'm a Winchester Model 70 shooter. But I actually like the Sauer 100 safety better because it is smoother and less "clicky".

I have seen some CZ Beech stocks that were nice, but as far as I am concerned, Sauer really shot a bullseye with this dark stained beech wood stock.

The magazine is much more of a flush-fit than my Tikka T3 Hunter. Much more comfortable to carry with one hand.
I have only sighted in the scope @ 100 and haven't had a chance to shoot for groups yet. But I could tell from the sight-in that the holes are going to be very close together. So far I have not found anything about the rifle I don't like.

I have since bought some hunting ammo I want to try next time out. Fusion 140, Federal 140 soft point. And some Hornady Black 140 that I may shoot just for fun or trade it to a friend for something I might use for hunting.
6.5 Creedmoor

kiwi: I like the 3-position safety. It is very smooth, easy and can be moved without making any noise if you keep your thumb pressure on it. I'm used to a 3-position safety because I'm a Winchester Model 70 shooter. But I actually like the Sauer 100 safety better because it is smoother and less "clicky".

I have seen some CZ Beech stocks that were nice, but as far as I am concerned, Sauer really shot a bullseye with this dark stained beech wood stock.

The magazine is much more of a flush-fit than my Tikka T3 Hunter. Much more comfortable to carry with one hand.
I have only sighted in the scope @ 100 and haven't had a chance to shoot for groups yet. But I could tell from the sight-in that the holes are going to be very close together. So far I have not found anything about the rifle I don't like.

I have since bought some hunting ammo I want to try next time out. Fusion 140, Federal 140 soft point. And some Hornady Black 140 that I may shoot just for fun or trade it to a friend for something I might use for hunting.
6.5 Creedmoor

Little too quick on the thumb there.
Really like to see a review after some range time. I'd like to know how you like the Sauer 100. I'm considering one myself. I'm a sucker for a schabel fore end.

6.5 Creedmoor

Please clarify, is this rifle chambered in 6.5CM?

Zeroed the Sauer 100 6.5 CM this morning at 200 Yards with Federal Fusion 140. Only fired five rounds. First one low, so came up a few clicks. Second shot better but still low, so came up some more, up one more click to hit the bullseye on my last shot. My improvised rear rest didn't allow me to see what the rifle can really do yet. But after the 5th shot I may be close to my 200 yard zero. May need to go 1 click to the left; but I do that after I get a better set of bags for the range next time. But even with my shaky makeshift rest, I can tell this rifle is going to be a consistent shooter. You know it is going to be alright when you are not even finished zeroing yet and you already have three shots sub-MOA! It will be nice to see what she does next time with a better rest.
eCZ3XCph.jpg

Zeroed the Sauer 100 6.5 CM this morning at 200 Yards with Federal Fusion 140. Only fired five rounds. First one low, so came up a few clicks. Second shot better but still low, so came up some more, up one more click to hit the bullseye on my last shot. My improvised rear rest didn't allow me to see what the rifle can really do yet. But after the 5th shot I may be close to my 200 yard zero. May need to go 1 click to the left; but I do that after I get a better set of bags for the range next time. But even with my shaky makeshift rest, I can tell this rifle is going to be a consistent shooter. You know it is going to be alright when you are not even finished zeroing yet and you already have three shots sub-MOA! It will be nice to see what she does next time with a better rest.

eCZ3XCph.jpg
Thanks for the update. Looking pretty good.
How is the length of pull? Is the fore end thin or thick? The balance? Just how smooth is bolt operation? I really don't like pestering with questions, but I can't seem to find a sample for hands on experience. I do like the looks of that rifle.

74sharps, The length of pull is 13.5". And the forestock is only slightly thicker than my Winchester Featherweight which has a schnabel forend too. But it is only thicker because the barrel is a heavier contour than the Featherweight. So it is still pretty slim. I like slender forends; but I use these rifles for hunting--not for benchrest competition. Both of these rifles are for hunting under 600, or for me, under 500 yards. So these are medium range hunting rifles and both relatively light. 'Not mountain rifle' light but light enough to carry without being burdensome. The Sauer 100 wouldn't be the rifle to start with for long range. But Sauer does make a couple of heavier barreled versions of the 100 that would extend that range--the Pantera and the Fieldshoot. Both make my mouth water when I see their pics. But they are more expensive than the Classic. And heavier; not really for long carry.

The bolt is made to fit the receiver to very tight tolerances, but once you break it in, it is very smooth. It is a 60* turn.

Last edited:
74sharps, The length of pull is 13.5". And the forestock is only slightly thicker than my Winchester Featherweight which has a schnabel forend too. But it is only thicker because the barrel is a heavier contour than the Featherweight. So it is still pretty slim. I like slender forends; but I use these rifles for hunting--not for benchrest competition. Both of these rifles are for hunting under 600, or for me, under 500 yards. So these are medium range hunting rifles and both relatively light. 'Not mountain rifle' light but light enough to carry without being burdensome. The Sauer 100 wouldn't be the rifle to start with for long range. But Sauer does make a couple of heavier barreled versions of the 100 that would extend that range--the Pantera and the Fieldshoot. Both make my mouth water when I see their pics. But they are more expensive than the Classic. And heavier; not really for long carry.ted.

The bolt is made to fit the receiver to very tight tolerances, but once you break it in, it is very smooth. It is a 60* turn.
Thank you Jon, that has really helped. I may have to have one. I appreciate the more detailed review. Seems to be a good purchase for you, glad you like it. Keep us updated

As you can see from this 5-shot 200 Yard group, my makeshift improvised rest just isn't adequate. I ordered some new bags today that will perhaps enable me to see what this rifle can really do without all of the operator error.
ZkS1XRph.jpg

As you can see from this 5-shot 200 Yard group, my makeshift improvised rest just isn't adequate. I ordered some new bags today that will perhaps enable me to see what this rifle can really do without all of the operator error.
ZkS1XRph.jpg
A tad over an inch at 200, not too bad. Can't wait for the bag test.

Things are starting to click with the new Sauer. Every time I shoot it, I do a little better. Even though I was having trouble getting my contac lens to focus and using a new rear bag, it did a little better today. I'm certain that the limiting factor is me. But it sure looks like the rifle has a lot of potential for greatness; that is, for a light shorter barrelled rifle it is everything I wanted.
DqtlQtFh.jpg
M0IGBTdh.jpg

4rxg55sh.jpg
M0IGBTdh.jpg

Pretty sure that 5th shot that strayed from the flock is not the result of barrel warming, but rather spasmodic marksmanship on my part.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.