Ideas for New .277 build

It'll certainly impact barrel life, but for me at least, this is a big game hunting rifle that will not get shot much throughout the year. A good barrel will last many years in my application and the extra horsepower may be just what I need in a pinch to execute a difficult shot on a hunt that cost much more than barrels. ;) One thing I'm doing on all my recent builds is using Bartlein's 400 MOD harder stainless barrels which offer 75% - 100% increase barrel life to help offset the abuse of my overbores. (repeating myself from before)
Makes perfect sense. I like the 27 cal. Good luck.

I don't know much about this round but seems to me 85/90 grains of H1000 pushing a 170 grain bullet thru a .27 hole at probably 3400-3500 fps is going to be hard on barrels. I'm running a 300rum with 215s at 3195 over 90 grains of H1000. And that is probably a 1000 round deal for barrel life. My last one was 900 rounds. This one has 600ish rounds thru it and almost .040"erosion. Still shoots great, but I don't think it has another 600 in it. Isn't the .27 going to be worse?
If you want good fuel mileage and long tire life, get a prius, a fiesta or something like that. Expect low bills at the pump and long tire life.

If you want to run a 10 second quarter mile or fly around a track, get a hellcat, Shelby mustang or something along those lines. Expect higher bills at the pump and short tire life.

If you want an economical cartridge to shoot 270 bullets slow, get a .270 win. Expect low powder charges and long barrel life.

If you dont care about cost and want to shoot 270 bullets fast, get a 27 nosler. Expect higher powder charges and shorter barrel life.

Isn't 90 grains of H1000 pushing a 215 grain bullet down a. 308 hole at 3195 fps going to be hard on barrels? I haven't seen many people wear out a .308 win barrel, it lasts probably 4000 rounds or better. Isn't a 300 rum gonna be worse?

See how this discussion could keep going round and round......barrel life of kind of one of those things, if you have to ask, you probably shouldn't do it. Also, far too much weight is generally put on it. Most people I know that shoot much have more than one gun, one that is a high volume shooter, better on barrels and uses less components, and a hunting rifle, geared more around all out performance. For the performance guns, a good load is developed, and after that, the rifle is only shot periodically to confirm. Most other shooting is on the high volume gun. If one spends 150 rounds developing a good load, then shoots 50 rounds of practice a year, and 2-5 rounds taking game a year, even 600 rounds out of a barrel will easily last 8 years before a rebarrel is needed.

Here's a photo that shows a general preview of the build. I'm doing Bartlein instead of Proof and running a different brake, action, and scope, but using GW stock and bottom metal etc. If all goes well, we'll be up and running in 3 to 4 months. Components seem to be on track so far.

Attachments

• 27 Nosler build.png
    27 Nosler build.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 140
The 27 Sherman Mag would be a lot of fun! I had a 270 Sherman and my 270ss just got a new barrel spun up also. The newly updated version of my 270ss was built with the intent of running a suppressor and being super handy. The new barrel is a bartlien sendero 1:8 cut to 19.5"
So far I'm shooting the 165 matrix with n570 at 2860 fps. I started my fireforming with the 175 sierra gamechanger while shooting pigs and will revisit them again.
I'll be interested to see what you choose.

The Sig is an interesting concept. Just not my preference. I didn't really want to deal with the specialty brass for their high pressures.
Some pics here for your interest.
Super pressure, if you will. The .270 Winchester's SAAMI spec maximum chamber pressure is 65,000 psi. The SIG Fury's is 80,000 psi.
Dang.
And" the steel helps keep the case from rupturing", thanks God for that....I feel better about it.
Where I get one ?

The Sig is an interesting concept. Just not my preference. I didn't really want to deal with the specialty brass for their high pressures.
Some pics here for your interest.

Items in hand so far:
Terminus Kratos lite
GW Clymr stock & BM
March 2.5-25x52 Compact Tactical MTR-3 Reticle

Waiting on barrel since I revised original order...

Still weighing brake options. Someone mentioned Hypertap. They look cool, but anyone actually compare them to something like a Terminator? The Painkiller or Terminator are the options I'm considering. I also like Gunwerks directional tuner brake but not sure of its recoil reduction for a case this size. Any experience out there? ..or the Muscle Brake.

Attachments

• Gunwerks Directional Tuner brake.PNG
    Gunwerks Directional Tuner brake.PNG
    36.8 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
I personally like MBM brakes, muzzle brakes and more. They are one of the few things in the long range market that are very good at what they do and also cheap. You can get a titanium brake for less than pretty much any of the others listed (aside from the GW brake, I have not looked at them). I threw a 5 port Beast brake on my 9.5 lb .338 Norma mag, sending 270 grain bullets at 2830 fps, I was watching impacts at 300 yards.

Not taking away from the PK or the Terminator brakes at all, they are both great too, I have used a Terminator brake and from testing I have seen, the PK is right in there too. No bad option there, I just like the MBM brakes because they are more budget friendly. Again, I cannot speak of the GW brake, I haven't used one or seen testing.

I personally like MBM brakes, muzzle brakes and more. They are one of the few things in the long range market that are very good at what they do and also cheap. You can get a titanium brake for less than pretty much any of the others listed (aside from the GW brake, I have not looked at them). I threw a 5 port Beast brake on my 9.5 lb .338 Norma mag, sending 270 grain bullets at 2830 fps, I was watching impacts at 300 yards.

Not taking away from the PK or the Terminator brakes at all, they are both great too, I have used a Terminator brake and from testing I have seen, the PK is right in there too. No bad option there, I just like the MBM brakes because they are more budget friendly. Again, I cannot speak of the GW brake, I haven't used one or seen testing.
Got a PK on my 7 Allen that works great. Can spot shots at 300 yd with that. Also got Terminators on smaller rifles so not a fair comparo. I'd like feedback with cost out of the equation. What would you run if they all cost the same? The thing I like about the GW is the tuner - maybe possible to dial in more load combinations...?? But not excited to trade-off a lot of recoil reduction for it.

If money was of no factor, I still like the Beast brakes, because they reduce recoil great, and I like to have my brakes contoured to the barrel diameter and seamless fits, and the Terminator brakes don't do that as well, and to my knowledge the PK brakes are more of a slab design. As far as tuner brakes, I haven't done anything with them so I can't really comment, but have heard good things from a couple people, that's about it.
20210713_123415.jpg