Ideas for New .277 build

I definitely prefer the M5 Hawkins hinged floor plates on hunting rigs. The M5 just in case the stock or gun use is changed and a DBM becomes needed. I can't offer much suggestion on cartridge but I too think a 0.277 caliber is becoming really interesting. The 27 Nosler sounds sexy. It would definitely be a hunting rig with a short barrel life. I have wondered before about a 300 whinny necked down. Would be on the heels of the Nosler in the 30 cal data stays true.
The 400 MOD harder SS Bartlein barrels are getting 75% - 100% longer life. Makes an overbore cartridge more livable as a hunting rig. Not blowing rounds out one after the other is always helpful.

I thought about a 270 wsm in a LA for the 170 gr Berger but I have a 7mag 8T already. I think a 270 wby mag with that 7.75T barrel shooting the 170 gr Berger would be a sweet LR hunter. A mark 5 or Razor HD LHT scope, something lightweight would be the right choice. Terminus Apollo Lite/Ti is the action Id use to cut weight. I am pretty sure a McMillan ultra-lite Game Scout can be opened up enough for that barrel and would use that. Or a AG Composite. The best brake is the Hypertap hands down, but loud.

Appreciate the suggestions. That action is only available in short though I think? Likely would need to go with the Kratos Lite if I do run with the 27 Nosler. No experience with them personally.

Last edited:
Ok, so far here's what we got going: (some changes from original)

27 Nosler (I'd seriously consider a 277 Blaser Mag if someone wants to offer to form the brass) :)
- #4 Bartlein Carbon Fiber 400 Mod SS 7.75 tw - 24"
- Terminus Krato Lite w/bottom metal
- NF NX8 4-32

Still working on it...

Attachments

• 270 Win - 277 Sig Fury - 27 Nosler.PNG
    270 Win - 277 Sig Fury - 27 Nosler.PNG
    323 KB · Views: 108
  • 27 Nosler vs 28 Nosler.PNG
    27 Nosler vs 28 Nosler.PNG
    95.3 KB · Views: 111
  • 6.5 CM - 243 Win - 277 Sig Fury - 308 Win.PNG
    6.5 CM - 243 Win - 277 Sig Fury - 308 Win.PNG
    60.5 KB · Views: 345
😁😁 Good news guys. Good things take time. Here's an email I just got from my contact over at Peterson:

We do have plans to do the 27 Nosler. It just has not gone all the way thru caliber development yet. So stay tuned - at some point we will be making 27 Nosler. Will probably not be in 2021 when it hits the market. Thank you for the inquiry. Have a great day!