Ideas for New .277 build

Getting bored with my 6.5 and 7mm's and up for something new. :) Got a 270 WSM that I was thinking to rebarrel to a fast twist for the heavies, but decided to just sell it and start over. Already got the 7.75 tw 400 MOD Bartlein Carbon 5R 24" #4 Bull Sporter in the pan. Didn't pull the trigger on an action yet, but leaning toward the Defiance AnTi long. Hoping to push the 156 HH over 3,200 fps but not looking to run too high on pressure. Something with some horsepower but that can realize decent potential in a 24" tube. This is a hunting rig, not a PRS high-volume project so barrel life not a chief concern. I got big guns in the 9 - 10 lb range, so I'm looking to lighten this one up a bit for a mountain rig.

So, how would you do it?

1) Cartridge? 27 Nosler? Custom?
2) Barrel: already on way (Bartlein Carbon 24" - see above)
3) Brake: leaning PK
4) Action: Defian ce AnTi long?
5) Cerakote: Desert Sage
6) Jewell trigger
7) Stock (I'm leaning GW Clymr)
8) Hinged plate or DM?
9) Scope? (possibly Leupold Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44 w/GW reticle)
You might want to look at Richard Sherman's Mega. I bet it'd do 3300+ with a 156.

Getting bored with my 6.5 and 7mm's and up for something new. :) Got a 270 WSM that I was thinking to rebarrel to a fast twist for the heavies, but decided to just sell it and start over. Already got the 7.75 tw 400 MOD Bartlein Carbon 5R 24" #4 Bull Sporter in the pan. Didn't pull the trigger on an action yet, but leaning toward the Defiance AnTi long. Hoping to push the 156 HH over 3,200 fps but not looking to run too high on pressure. Something with some horsepower but that can realize decent potential in a 24" tube. This is a hunting rig, not a PRS high-volume project so barrel life not a chief concern. I got big guns in the 9 - 10 lb range, so I'm looking to lighten this one up a bit for a mountain rig.

So, how would you do it?

4) Action: Defiance AnTi long?
6) Jewell trigger
8) Hinged plate or DM?
6.8 western might be a great choice

I was able to get the 170EOL at 3050 with RL26 in 24" barrel in .270Win but I have been saving the 156 for new build in progress. So I would bet the 156 will be over 3100, probably not 3200 in a whizbang cartridge but still maybe in range. I know, who wants Grandpa's cartridge?😂

Yowser! Care to share powder you're using?

I get 3440 FPS with the 156 Hammer from a 270/338 RUM variant with a 28" barrel and 3330 FPS with the same load in a 25" barrel. I can get another 100 fps but this chambering has proven to be very picky about loads, so I just settled on the velocity that shoots best. A straight 27 Nosler should be able to hit your velocity without too much trouble.

I went with a 338 RUM case with the shoulder position of the RUM and the shoulder diameter and angle of the 27 Nosler. This gives a slightly improved 270/338 RUM and basically a 27 Nosler that's been stretched by about .185". The idea was just to be able to use ADG 338 RUM brass.

So, how would you do it?

6) Jewell trigger
8) Hinged plate or DM?
I thought about a 270 wsm in a LA for the 170 gr Berger but I have a 7mag 8T already. I think a 270 wby mag with that 7.75T barrel shooting the 170 gr Berger would be a sweet LR hunter. A mark 5 or Razor HD LHT scope, something lightweight would be the right choice. Terminus Apollo Lite/Ti is the action Id use to cut weight. I am pretty sure a McMillan ultra-lite Game Scout can be opened up enough for that barrel and would use that. Or a AG Composite. The best brake is the Hypertap hands down, but loud.

What is wrong with the 270wsm? Unless you are bored and have extra $$ to spend. I am an old retired guy on a fixed income so i cant afford any fancy Builds. Have been playing with a Winchester model 70 270wsm that i bought at a Paun Shop. Using 116 Absolute Hammers and IMR 4831 i have been getting 3300-3400.
and i am still working up.

So, how would you do it?

6) Jewell trigger
8) Hinged plate or DM?
While we are all chasing extreme accuracy, single digit SD/ES, match brass, weighed cases, perfect jump, neck turn or no neck turn, crimp or no crimp, power tests, primer tests and concentricity, along comes an evolution that just may make most of our expertise moot and us obsolete. Logically, this was and is inevitable.
My next build will be for this round as soon as I can ensure a supply of quality ammo. After-all, we've all happily let Hornady lead us down the yellow brick road every time they introduce the next be-all, end-all super GI Joe, rail gun, kung fu 6.5mm or next gen 30 cal super cartridge and then fail to support it with ammo or brass. You know, 6.5 Credemore, 6 Credemore, 6.5 PRC, 300 PRC.
SO WHY NOT BUILD A GUN TO SHOOT A NEW ROUND THAT DOESN'T DEPEND ON BRASS SHEET MANUFACTURERS OR THE PRODUCTION OR NEW PRODUCT WHIMS OF HORNADY's OWNER? Why not jump on injection or blow molded cases that are light years more precise and concentric than 1895 drawn brass technology. Really guys and gals, the greatest advances in brass case tech over the past 120 years has been metallurgy, weight sorting, cnc machines and drilling primer holes. Plastic or composite cases may well be a game changer. And even if it's not this cartridge, the writing is on the wall fellow shooters. 21st century tech is about to catch up with our sport. Imagine, 1/8 moa ammo from a box that never corrodes. Imagine $.20 plastic cases that are immune to environmental concerns. And if you want to reload, imagine precision match quality cases that come in bags like shot shell hulls.

Was looking at doing the same thing couple of years ago. Went with 270 WSM since already had one. Hopefully it will be done in next couple months. Has taken a year and half to get all parts! But also hoping to shoot heavier bullets with faster twist.

I think a 270 wby mag with that 7.75T barrel shooting the 170 gr Berger would be a sweet LR hunter.

SSG Graybush ,

I agree with the 2nd sentence of your message .
The .270 Weatherby magnum should be able to run the velocities that Northkill is seeking .

In my father's .270 Wby. Mag. , we were running 150gr. Nosler Partitions at 3308 FPS , with good accuracy , using Norma MRP powder , CCI 250 primers , and Weatherby brass . This is with a 26" barrel , but I think that the 24" barrel would still put him into the 3200 FPS range .

Just my opinion .
DMP25-06

Recent Posts