Ideas for New .277 build

What cartridge are you setting up for, or am I to assume it's the 27 Nosler?
Mesa makes a nice stock. I have two GW Magnus stocks that I really like and figured I'd keep this build in the "family" as a little brother. The Clymr comes in around 29 oz depending on configurations and inletting, etc. They are very strong and stable and I am partial to the integrated forend pic rail, as well as the overall ergonomics. I like my stocks somewhat similar in design. I think it helps me be more proficient in switching between rifles, with muscle memory being a valuable thing in hunting situations.

The 7-AM also has the #4 Bartlein Carbon 400 MOD - just longer - and it shoots very good. I'm liking it better than my Christensen and Proof carbons so far.
Thanks for the action feedback. I also like the integral rail. Will look at that.

Yep, now we wait and work at sniffing out brass, bullets, powder and primers. :)
I'm going with a .300 RUM, with one of the 199 Hammers unless something new comes along. A lot of impressive testing going on in Australia with the bigger feral animals that could tweak bullet selection a bit.

A lot of good barrels out there these days, Bartlein being one of them, I've got the 1-8 twist coming, so not many bullets it won't handle. Going with the left hand twist, just to explore some of the claims around that.

Forward bipod pic rail will have to be added on.

At least there is a good lead time to scrounge components.

Should be fun whatever route you choose.

I think you should reach your goal with a 270 WSM will a long throat. I have a reamer on file at JGS you are welcome to use the design if you want. COAL is 3.120 for a 170 EOL. I also have a 27 Nosler reamer on file that would easily reach your goal.
Sure appreciate this. I'll keep that in mind.

I'm doing a 27 Sherman Mag based off of the 300 prc case.
Another good option. I already have an email in to Rich to see what he might have to offer. What you're talking about is a little different than his standard 270 Sherman Mag though, isn't it? I was hoping to stick with something that I don't have to form brass for.

Another good option. I already have an email in to Rich to see what he might have to offer. What you're talking about is a little different than his standard 270 Sherman Mag though, isn't it? I was hoping to stick with something that I don't have to form brass for.
Yes it's basically the 28 Sherman mag but necked down to 27. You use the same dies just a different bushing. To my knowledge there's no fire forming.

Yes it's basically the 28 Sherman mag but necked down to 27. You use the same dies just a different bushing. To my knowledge there's no fire forming.
I believe this is correct, I saw a guy do a 6.5 Sherman mag as well, was shooting the 156 eol stupid fast.

If you don't mind custom dies, the 27 Sherman Mag would be great, top quality brass designed for the 300 PRCis a big bonus. Otherwise the 27 nosler is great as well and would get you up there. Those are pretty much the only two cartridges I would consider.

The anTI is the action I went with on my wife's rifle, and while I haven't shot it yet (hopefully back from the smith soon!!), I really like it, and can't see any reason why it wouldn't work great, and the price is appealing too compared to some different titanium options.

For the brake, the PK is great, as is the MBM Beast brakes or the Terminator brakes. No bad choice in there.

For a hunting rifle, especially trying to count the ounces, an aluminum hinged floorplate is the only way I would go. For a mid weight, a dbm is fine, but you add a few oz's. And on a more personal note, on a hunting specific rifle, I like the looks of a BDL type set up, they look clean to me.

I almost went with that Leupold on my wife's rifle, and wouldn't have been upset if I had got it, but ended up picking up a Burris XTR-III 3.3-18x50 for a good used price, it's way more scope then what I paid, plus it is made in America, one of my wife's requirements for her rifle build. The Vortex AMG and the Nightforce NX8 was another option, though I believe the NX8 is made in Japan.

Your build will be somewhere in the mid, maybe low 8 lb range just guessing looking at the components, depending on your optic choice mainly. My wife's rifle is the same anti, a krieger medium palma cut at 20", Hawkins rings, Jewel trigger and a Manners EH-1 stock, and will come in at the mid 9 lb range with the Burris scope.

Unless you buy your action from Redhawk Rifles, plan on a long wait for a Defiance.

Redhawk put in an order for 1000 actions, 100 per month for 10 consecutive months, and so everyone else's production went on the back burner.
I ordered one AnTi X on Jan 5th, was told 8-10 weeks. Just came in last week. I ordered a 2nd AnTi X 3 weeks later, and estimated ship date is in Sept/Oct time frame.
If I didn't already have stocks in hand and ordered for a Defiance, I would switch my 2nd action to a Kelbly Atlas Tac.

Last edited:
Also, and this is down the line, you may want to look at the 140 SBDII in whatever you shoot. At comparable velocities, the 140 SBDII out of a 27 nosler outruns a 180 Berger from a 28 Nosler in every way minus about 150 ft-lbs of energy, out to 1000 yards and beyond. Pretty impressive little bullet!! We are running them this year in a couple 270 Sherman's, so by the time your build is done, we should have some terminal ballistics testing done. The hammer however, is still a fantastic bullet, not taking away from that.

Also, and this is down the line, you may want to look at the 140 SBDII in whatever you shoot. At comparable velocities, the 140 SBDII out of a 27 nosler outruns a 180 Berger from a 28 Nosler in every way minus about 150 ft-lbs of energy, out to 1000 yards and beyond. Pretty impressive little bullet!! We are running them this year in a couple 270 Sherman's, so by the time your build is done, we should have some terminal ballistics testing done. The hammer however, is still a fantastic bullet, not taking away from that.
Please keep me posted.

Recent Posts