Ideas for an old Rem700 action

That is a nice setup, I would not do anything that would mess it up. If you don't like the youth stock, changing it out is the easiest, most dramatic upgrade, and easily reversible. But like some else mentioned, you did really address what you want to do with the rifle. If you want to start experimenting, pick another platform...

myself I would restock and bed it, swap out trigger if its already shooting 1/2 to 3/4 moa I bet you would cut that in half and have a great rifle for a small investment and those changes could be reversed if a grandkid came into the picture and needed a youth model to hunt with grandpa

I'd restock the rifle, maybe thread for suppressor if the contour will allow for an adequate shoulder. Grayboe, B&C and others have nice stocks in the $300 area. Accuracy will likely improve from a more rigid stock as well. An 18" stainless 7mm-08 is more than enough for deer and rather handy, even if you hang a suppressor on it.

So I have this youth model Rem 700, 7-.08, stainless, with an 18" barrel. My son doesn't use it anymore and I'm thinking about the possibilities.
What would my options be with that action? 7-.08 is a great caliber and I wouldn't be opposed to not changing calibers. But right now I have all the boxes checked for rifles shooting bullets from 85-90gr all the way up to 168s. So I'm thinking to go really small or move into the big boys. It's a beautiful action, jeweled bolt and stainless. Rifle hasn't been shot more than 30-40 times since I bought it new.
I'd also consider selling or trading.
I have no idea what kind of velocity I'm getting but it was shooting 120gr factory Nosler BTs at .5-.7" the last time I got it ready for hunting.
So what can I do with this small package?
re barrel for a cartridge that fills a gap you want to fill. I used M7 action to build a long range PD gun. I chambered it in 6x47L. It's a very accurate rifle.

So I have this youth model Rem 700, 7-.08, stainless, with an 18" barrel. My son doesn't use it anymore and I'm thinking about the possibilities.
What would my options be with that action? 7-.08 is a great caliber and I wouldn't be opposed to not changing calibers. But right now I have all the boxes checked for rifles shooting bullets from 85-90gr all the way up to 168s. So I'm thinking to go really small or move into the big boys. It's a beautiful action, jeweled bolt and stainless. Rifle hasn't been shot more than 30-40 times since I bought it new.
I have no idea what kind of velocity I'm getting but it was shooting 120gr factory Nosler BTs at .5-.7" the last time I got it ready for hunting.
Pictures?

If its a real old Remington the trigger is decent. Id just bed it in a nice stock like a McMillan ultra-lite Game Scout or a EH Manners or a AG Composite. For cheap and decent a B&C. And spend some money on a nice Leopold scope or a Razor HD LHT if you like second focal plane.
That would be a great lightweight deer slayer with a 18 inch barrel in a ultra-lite stock. If you want a nicer trigger get a Trigger Tech Special or a Timney 510.
If you reload barrel to a 6XC. Am shooting a 112 grain at 2966. Plenty of room in a SA for 6mm heavy's

Put that bad boy in a chassis and pick you flavor of that bolt face and short action in a new barrel! 243, 260, 6.5 man bun, 25 creed, 7-08 etc!

I like the .338 Fed idea. My wife has been shooting one for years and it is an amazingly versatile round, shooting anything from 160 gr. TTSX up to 210 Nosler partition. A 22 inch barrel is lots and it will handle just about anything deer size and beyond including Elk, Moose, and Bear. A short action Rem. is the just the right action for it. It covers a lot of bases.

Buy a "big" boy ultra light stock and thread it for a muzzle brake or suppressor and that would be a mighty fine hunting rifle. I wouldn't do a short mag. A new bolt would be pricy and you would have to open up the feed rails. If it was mine, I'd think seriously about a .284 or .284 based wildcat. In fact, if that was mine, I would mill the action for the Wyatt box, rechamber to a .284W, mount a muzzle brake, and put in a H-S Precision stock.

Pictures?
F541309B-9BC9-49C6-9C8F-949CD1B37246.jpeg
60F360B8-E055-431B-9DB2-44C08453A3DB.jpeg
5C1575E0-2689-45D6-A77F-EE218B189C6A.jpeg

You guys are giving me some great ideas. The issue at the moment is I just agreed to buy a really nice 6CM w/ a Tuebor titanium, carbon6, Manners rig. And I'm a sucker for any kind of a deal on alpha glass and EuroOptics had a S&B Polar as a shot show demo....saved a bundle but still raided my bank acct.
I should probably sell it and recoup some dinero.
Choices choices....I'd rather see someone get some use out of it, rather than it collect dust in the safe. I have no idea what a fair deal would be but I'm open to listen.

You guys are giving me some great ideas. The issue at the moment is I just agreed to buy a really nice 6CM w/ a Tuebor titanium, carbon6, Manners rig. And I'm a sucker for any kind of a deal on alpha glass and EuroOptics had a S&B Polar as a shot show demo....saved a bundle but still raided my bank acct.
I should probably sell it and recoup some dinero.
Choices choices....I'd rather see someone get some use out of it, rather than it collect dust in the safe. I have no idea what a fair deal would be but I'm open to listen.
I'm right down the road in Blacksburg. PM me if you want to talk sale.

Looks like you need to go the big. For deer I think a subsonic suppressed rifle would be great.

30 cal bullet would be the min. But a 338 or 358, would be better also get a fast twist rate per caliber to accurately shoot the super heavies. They have suppressors up to 458, so a SOCOM on that action with a 16" barrel plus can and a 500-600gr bullet would be a neat silent deer thumper 😱

I would like to try the Hammers, but I don't reload. And the handful of nice rifles I currently use already have a load developed and I'm stocked up on those hand loads. I have a few contacts that would load me up, if I had the ingredients.
The only issue is in my home state of Va., you can't hunt deer with anything .22cal....gotta be larger. Of course that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. But with all the choices today, I'd want it to be legal for deer.
I like the existing caliber, it shot decent group size with the first and only factory ammo I tried, and it's in great shape. I kinda like the idea of spending money on a trigger upgrade, threading, and a suppressor. I'd probably come out even or slightly ahead versus donating the action and building something different.
I'm just brainstorming at this point and trying to get some ideas. I have to pay for a build that should be ready in the next week, so I should have plenty of time to think this one through before I can afford to even think about starting something.
Thanks for the ideas and I'd love to hear more.
If you rebarrel, i'll buy the take off barrel....Go with 260cal Bartlein 22"and dont look back. Will handle most needs in NA..