Ideas for an old Rem700 action

Bullmark

So I have this youth model Rem 700, 7-.08, stainless, with an 18" barrel. My son doesn't use it anymore and I'm thinking about the possibilities.
What would my options be with that action? 7-.08 is a great caliber and I wouldn't be opposed to not changing calibers. But right now I have all the boxes checked for rifles shooting bullets from 85-90gr all the way up to 168s. So I'm thinking to go really small or move into the big boys. It's a beautiful action, jeweled bolt and stainless. Rifle hasn't been shot more than 30-40 times since I bought it new.
I'd also consider selling or trading.
I have no idea what kind of velocity I'm getting but it was shooting 120gr factory Nosler BTs at .5-.7" the last time I got it ready for hunting.
So what can I do with this small package?

either do something on the 284 case or open it up to mag boltface and hang a larger wsm on it.. 300 or 325... 358 if you want to play with wildcats

What would its intended use be? As it is, it would make an amazing cold weather tree stand or box blind rifle. What are your goals? It will help members assist you. Are you just brainstorming?

Do a 22-243, Load it with Mono's and let her eat
I would like to try the Hammers, but I don't reload. And the handful of nice rifles I currently use already have a load developed and I'm stocked up on those hand loads. I have a few contacts that would load me up, if I had the ingredients.
The only issue is in my home state of Va., you can't hunt deer with anything .22cal....gotta be larger. Of course that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. But with all the choices today, I'd want it to be legal for deer.
I like the existing caliber, it shot decent group size with the first and only factory ammo I tried, and it's in great shape. I kinda like the idea of spending money on a trigger upgrade, threading, and a suppressor. I'd probably come out even or slightly ahead versus donating the action and building something different.
I'm just brainstorming at this point and trying to get some ideas. I have to pay for a build that should be ready in the next week, so I should have plenty of time to think this one through before I can afford to even think about starting something.
Thanks for the ideas and I'd love to hear more.

I like the .22/243 Middlestead with its 30deg shoulder. But the straight .22/243 is a bit easier to make. Neck down .243 brass to .22, load and shoot,,,,,, no fire forming..
So from a legal perspective, would that be considered a .22 cal, which make it illegal in Va (for deer), or .243, which is fine....??

I would like to try the Hammers, but I don't reload. And the handful of nice rifles I currently use already have a load developed and I'm stocked up on those hand loads. I have a few contacts that would load me up, if I had the ingredients.
The only issue is in my home state of Va., you can't hunt deer with anything .22cal....gotta be larger. Of course that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. But with all the choices today, I'd want it to be legal for deer.
I like the existing caliber, it shot decent group size with the first and only factory ammo I tried, and it's in great shape. I kinda like the idea of spending money on a trigger upgrade, threading, and a suppressor. I'd probably come out even or slightly ahead versus donating the action and building something different.
I'm just brainstorming at this point and trying to get some ideas. I have to pay for a build that should be ready in the next week, so I should have plenty of time to think this one through before I can afford to even think about starting something.
Thanks for the ideas and I'd love to hear more.
Honestly, I'd keep it as is, maybe change the stock from a youth stock to a full size. That's a great round and probably has some great memories tied to it.

Speaking of great memories- I had a client in Roanoke back in 2009 or so and I used fly out there every week. And we would go to the New Yorker Deli about once a week while there. I'd give my nut for another one of their sandwiches and some knockwurst.

Hello fellow Virginian, I grew up just up the road in Daleville and lived in Roanoke and Blacksburg(Go Hokies!) before moving to the flatlands of eastern NC. If the rifle shoots well now I might upgrade the stock if it didn't fit and I would hunt that everyday in the hills. Now when I lived up there I was mainly a public land hunter so it was all on the mountain and 150 yards in a clearcut was as far as I ever could see let along shoot. But as far as a mountain woods guns you about have a perfect one there.

With the short rifle season up there I used the hand me down 336, but I had $1500 in both my archery and blackpowder set ups due to the longer seasons.

If deer gun is what you want change the stock but I would leave the chambering. Now I did always want a 338 Fed or 358 Win when I lived up there just for throwing big bullets at deer. Now if you have access to cattle/horse fields a groundhog gun like Bean is talking about would be fun. Walking varminter contour not over 24" and since you say its a pretty gun with jeweled bolt I would find a nice piece of wood or laminate.

Being that it is a youth model gun, and your son used to use it, that leads me to believe you bought it for your son. To me, that would qualify it to be "his gun" (in a sentimental sense). That said, I would give it to him to do what he wanted to do with it. If he is not responsible enough to own it, or you think he would just sell it or neglect it, put it away until he is mature enough to appreciate it. That could/would be something for him to potentially pass along to his child.