Ideas for a .338 federal build?

JSTAR3006

I want to build a capable ar rifle build to shoot up to 250 yrds with at pigs, whitetail, elk, and anything else that cross my path at that range.

.338 ballistics can easily do what is intended at that range I know but what components to build off of? This will be my first ar build.

Let's start with your budget, how much you want to spend on the gun and how much on the optic.

My most recent build is as follows
Aero precision m4e1 receiver set
LaRue MBT 2 stage trigger
Lancer arms a2 carbon fiber stock
Hogue finger groove grip
JP lightweight buffer
JP extra power spring
Brownells lightweight bcg
Strike industries latch less charging handle
Hera arms mlok handguard
Adjustable gas block
Ballistic advantage 16" 223 wylde 1:8 midlength ss barrel
Vortex precision matched rings
Schmidt bender zenith 3-12x50

It isn't big bore or anything crazy but it groups well.

After budget you should help us figure out your goal for the gun, ultralight vs match grade etc. I would be happy to tell you everything that I've used and liked/disliked if you want a long read

Object of the rifle is to do hunting and plinking with at least 1 moa or better preferred out tor the specified yrds I've listed above. Weight is not so much an object and I'd like to keep the rifle under 2k if possible. I already have capable optics laying around for long range precision to near field so I'm not really worried about the optics.

This will be my first ar build and would just like to pick brains and gather insight/info on what it takes to get this project rolling. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

I've built a lot of ar15's and only a handful of ar10"s but they are pretty much the same except for the parts available.

I really like the aero precision receiver sets, fit is nice and tight. Don't fall for the billet flashy stuff. As far as triggers the 2 stage have done me well hunting, I started with RRA NM 2-stage but prefer the Larue Mbt-2s with the lighter spring. The super light single stage triggers are cool but I shoot offhand sometimes when hunting so I like the 2 stage setup best

Fixed stock is the way to go, I've got an A2 stock, magpul fixed , Hera, and Lancer in the safe and I'm torn between the lancer and Hera. I like the grip angle on the hera cqr and you can set the length of pull with the spacers for cheap but not everyone digs the feel of it, advantage of the lancer is you can get a1 or a2 length and pick whatever grip you want, I am going to try one of the ergo deluxe palm shelf grips one of these days. Luth makes some intriguing stocks with lots of features but I haven't tried one, the magpul PRS used to be the holy grail of fixed stocks but it weight 30 oz and my lancer is under 10. I used to think weight didn't matter but I havent taken my 12+lb ar's out of the safe in nearly 3 years and I have a 300yd range in my yard that I shoot regurlarly with my 6lb guns.

For handguards I find I like slim and light for balance. I loath my Yankee hill diamond series because it's a huge diameter quad rail and heavy. I have a couple hera arms handguards, one is a hybrid the other just has a top rail. I won't get another hybrid because the rails set empty and I would rather have a cleaner gun. I also have a Troy rail that I like when wearing cloves but it is kinda sharp on bare hands, not a problem when hunting in the cold but I never reach for it when the weather is nice. The hera handguard did need clearances for my adjustable gas block but a combination of files and dremel made them play nice together.

I don't know about manufacturer on barrels because I have never bought a 338 barrel but lots of big names make them like McGowan and xcaliber. I like fluted barrels with medium weights on ar's, the heavy profile stuff balances bad without a brick tied to the stock. Get the longest normal gas system for the barrel length (mid length on a 16", rifle on an 18") and pick your length based on what you want, I find that for hunting a medium weight 16" barrel balances well and a fluted midweight 18" also makes a good offhand shooter. For me 20" barrels need something to set them on be it a bipod/tripod/truck/tree because the ar10 action is already so long before the barrel starts.

Everyone talks about heavy buffers for ultimate reliability and if targets shot back at me I would maybe think that way but for hunting and target shooting I like a lightweight bcg and standard or lightweight buffer then tune the gun by restricting the gas with an adjustable gas block. Theres no comparison between an over gassed gun that has a pound of tungsten going back and forth and one with a light buffer and skeletonized carrier bleeding off just enough gas to cycle.

Tools are easy, it's all basic except for roll pins, receiver vise blocks, and a barrel wrench. Depending on the handguard you sometimes need just a Cresent for the barrel

Wilson barrel, matched Aero upper lower, DPMS LPK, Larue trigger, BCG and furniture to taste. I'd keep it simple and go with a DPMS BCG also.

I have a DPMS 338LR and love it. Highly accurate, lightweight and always goes off.

Been using Armalite AR10's for 25 yrs now. 16-24" 308's all shoot sub MOA. Tried DPMS platforms and kept one since I wanted Proof 260 AR10 barrel, no regrets. But, that being said, Armalite function and accuracy has never let me down. Never a malfunction, period. I use 185 gmx on top of 46-47 gr IMR 8208, vel 2650 and LC brass. I buy pulled/primed LC and run 33cal expander then load em and shoot. Will leave a horrendous exit wound. Feel confident against any animal in North America with that load.....

CDNN is selling a kit less upper guts and barrel for $300. Includes a Remington slab sided upper and a floating handguard. Found a 16" fluted Wilson 338 bbl on sale for 250, and a Toolcraft nickle boron BCG on sale for $160. Just need the gas block and tube, and I think I'm done.

Not trying to talk you out of the 338 federal because it will be OK for most everything you listed except it would be marginal for elk in my opinion at 250 to 300 yards without perfect shot placement.

Actually a 308 would do better and would be an easy build or buy. And with so many bullet weights to chose from you could select the best one for the type of hunting and get the most performance. Deer and hogs are easy with a 150 class bullet and range is greatly increased. For elk at close ranges, 180's and 200's would be my choice for the 308.

Just a thought

J E CUSTOM

I am going to build a 338 federal upper also to add to my 260 rem dmps .I hunted with my 338 win mag for 34 years .The 338 federal should work with 225 grain or less bullets out to 250 yards for deer and hogs .I would limit elk to 200 yards. ITS an awesome caliber and will make a unique hunting rifle .

Not trying to talk you out of the 338 federal because it will be OK for most everything you listed except it would be marginal for elk in my opinion at 250 to 300 yards without perfect shot placement.

Actually a 308 would do better and would be an easy build or buy. And with so many bullet weights to chose from you could select the best one for the type of hunting and get the most performance. Deer and hogs are easy with a 150 class bullet and range is greatly increased. For elk at close ranges, 180's and 200's would be my choice for the 308.

Just a thought

J E CUSTOM

Agree 100%

Been using Armalite AR10's for 25 yrs now. 16-24" 308's all shoot sub MOA. Tried DPMS platforms and kept one since I wanted Proof 260 AR10 barrel, no regrets. But, that being said, Armalite function and accuracy has never let me down. Never a malfunction, period.

25 yr of shooting numerous ar10s and never, not one, single malfunction, ever?? You must not do much volume or you have a leprechaun in your pocket.

Sticking to the stated 250-300 yard mark, take a .338 Federal and set it next to trendy .264 Creedmore. Many here will tell you the creed will kill Elk. I agree but a blind person could see what would be a better choice for elk. I have shot many animals with .308 and .338 federal. The difference is simply amazing...

Agree 100%

Read statement correctly, I said Armalite never had malfunction, period. High volume of rounds (thousands)! 99% of shooting with reloads too. Goes to show u that with correct skills at reloading that a level of confidence is attainable.

25 yr of shooting numerous ar10s and never, not one, single malfunction, ever?? You must not do much volume or you have a leprechaun in your pocket.

Sticking to the stated 250-300 yard mark, take a .338 Federal and set it next to trendy .264 Creedmore. Many here will tell you the creed will kill Elk. I agree but a blind person could see what would be a better choice for elk. I have shot many animals with .308 and .338 federal. The difference is simply amazing...
Seeing is believing when it comes to comparing 338 Fed to 308 or CM. Until you have shot that caliber, don't try to speculate.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.