Ideal weapon for Prairie Dogs

Ron

I am about to purchase a rifle just for prairie dogs. What would the best caliber be. I am leaning towards the new .223 WSSM.
I do not reload so it must be a accurate gun with store bought ammo. I know their isnt much for .223 WSSM ammo now but i know it will bet better.

Well all factory I'd say the rem VS SF in 22-250.. for the short work 300 yards or less

Or the Rem 700 VLS in 243 for longer range work...

The 25-06 isn't a bad choice for really long stuff....

The new wssm stuff isn't all that it is cracked up to be and is way to new to make a determination weather or not it is all they say it is....

If ya reloaded I'd say Ihave the perfect on efor sale in the classifieds ;-0

When I faced that decision a few years ago I went for a Rem 700 VS-SF in 22-250. My buddy got a Ruger in 223. We both had a blast but I had a bit of advantage in the 3-500 yard shots. Of course I claimed that it was all the shooter
smile.gif
. Most shots were in the 100-250 yard range and both did very well. If I had to do it again, just for p'doggin, I would go with the 223. The cost of the ammo alone is a big chunk. I shot my friends Ruger with mil-surp ammo and got a one hole, 4 shot group at 100 yards, that is better than I ever did with any ammo in my Rem. That is hard to beat for any price.

I am partial to my Bushmaster Varminter AR-15. It's a 5 shots into a half-minute rifle, and I can squirt 'em out there fast!

As a friend of mine says, it's like shooting a Super Soaker. Just alot more deadly and accurate...

I'll have to side w/ stl shooter. My AR(put it together myself) will see action this June in SD. Two years ago my brother's AR showed us how to dipatch Pdogs very quickly. Out ot 250 yards he was about 80%- only because he like to try and hit'em on the run. I really couldn't tell the difference if I shot'em w/ the swift or he shot them w/ his AR. My swift was getting shotout so i had it rebarreled to the 6-284 w/1-8 30"Lilja barrel. When the AR starts to peter out at 300 yards or so the 6-284 will pick up the action. My AR wears a Krieger 1-13 24" barrel and easily shoots 5 in a 1/2", where the 6-284 should(I still have some load testing to do) shoot 5 into 1 1/2"@500 yards.

After 30 yrs. varminting, the only cartridge/gun I'll have again for pr. dogs would be .223 Rem. (maybe Ack Imp. version--maybe), out of a Savage bolt gun with a little tweaking on the guns part if necessary.

fc904dfe.jpg

fc904e00.jpg

This is a budget conscious rifle I just completed for LR prairie doggin'. It is chambered in 25/06 in consideration of the prevailing Wyoming winds.

I'm just now working up loads for it... hope the **** thing shoots
smile.gif

Regards,

Holmes

Hard to beat a 223 for cheap shooting & keeping the barrel cooler.A guy we took out a few years ago ruined(dispite our numerous warnings)a 22-250 Sako trying to keep up with the 223s.
Be warned though that pding is very addictive & can get very hard on the pocketbook trying to reach ferther & farther.More fun cant be had though=CJ

s1, I'm still trying to recover from the 6-284 project. Being a plumber in a one job household it takes several years to rathole enough change to build a custom rifle. Not to mention the accessories. You just don't buy a rifle, you buy a case to put it in, the dies to reload for it(wildcats aren't cheap), and the scope (500-1000$), bipod, etc. , the list never seems to end. Although I would really relish a 243 improved in a semi-auto configuration, it'll have to wait several years. You sound like you have one to peddle?

We are just too traditional sometimes.

How about a semi auto belt fed Browning machine gun in 308? Ammo is cheap, range is not an issue, and so what if you miss...lots of follow up shots. Might even be able to rebarrel to a 22/250 or 243.

Don't laugh, if the US army does change to another larger cal like a 6mm or 6.8mm, this concept will be off the shelf.

Imagine getting one of these to shoot MOA or better...way too much fun.

Of course, an AR15 with a Cmag would do something similar.

Winter too long, need to go burn powder...

Jerry

A good 22-250 is your best bet if you don't reload. A Remington VLS or VS are the best Remingtons for the $. Savage also makes some very good shooters. Get their short action model and go to town, pun intended. I say 22-250 because the factory ammo shoots great and it completely outclasses the 223 for the longer shots.
You should start reloading though. A 243 is deadly out to about as far as the average guy would dream about shooting. A Remington VLS in 243 with a bedding job is tough to beat. Have fun with whatever you choose.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.