Ideal weapon for Prairie Dogs

There are no Ideal weapons for Prairie dogs. But I would say a 17 Rem 218 Bee or 22 hornet for under 300 yards if you are going to shoot 500 rounds in a day.223 22-250 220 swift or 223 WSSM if you are going to shoot 200 rounds a day out to 600 yards. But this is long rang hunting so go with a 243 AI, 6-284, 6.5-284, 300 Mag, or 338 Yogi for the long ones
grin.gif

Crow Mag

700 Remington VLS chambered in 223 Rem. Its easy on the money, easy to reload, and easy on the shoulder. Out of the box with a good scope and lighten up the trigger and your ready for 300 yard woodchuck kills.

Get the best of both,custom Rem700 22-250 and custom AR-15 Diamond 223. I hunt varmits at least 200 days per year and these two set ups will do everything out to 500 yards.If further out go with the EDM Windrunner 50BMG [image]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid39/p98429a3d312437e0b1cab2d51f8f758b/fd04e261.jpg[/image]

crow mag, why do you say the 223 22-250 220 swift or 223 WSSM are only good for 200 rounds a day out to 600 yards, are these calibers not built good enough to fire more than 200 per day.

Barrel temp is a major consern with the larger calibers when shooting pds.A Hornet,223 loaded mid book will remain cool enough to shoot preaty steady but the 223WSSM, 22-250 & larger will heat up fast.
The best solution is to have numerous rifles & switch often.Tipicly I'll take the AR,VT223,22-2508twist,VLE308 & one of the BMGs.Hope to have a 6.5WSM done for the June trip out.
A 200 round day is a lot if your shooting over 750 yards as you spot 1/2 the time for someone else so they can return the favor=CJ

Ron, I don't know what your funds are like but I just recently purchased a 220 Swift from Sharp Shooters Supply in Ohio. It cost me about 1K. Fred will put together anything you would like. He has the reamer for the 22/6mm to shoot those 80 grainers. This round has shown up at the 1000yrd shoots and is competitive. It makes a heck of a long range varmit round. I had the Swift built because thats what I wanted. Fred can make you other barrels for the same gun in different calibers provided you stay with the same bolt face and will explain how to switch and set them up. He fabricates them using the Savage actions which is why it is easy to swap barrels. His rifles come in really nice fully bedded reinforced w/(aluminum) with a semi beavertail forearm and in a variety of colors. He uses Douglas barrels but will get you what ever you would like. It come with a custom adjustable fully trigger. A real nice piece for the price, just to shoot PD or GH. My rifle is min spec chamber standard neck and shoots .300 or less at 100yrds all day! JUST DONT LET THE BARREL GET TOO HOT!! while shooting as this is what shortens barrel life. Sharp Shooter Supply
tongue.gif

Howdy Ron, Another thing nice about a 223Rem. is the factory ammo is about as accurate as loading your own. I'll let ya know how mine shoots as soon as the range opens up, I do reload. Good huntin'. J
cool.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.