IDEAL MAXIMUM SCOPE POWER NEEDED FOR SHOTS TO 800 YARDS?

As an aside since we are discussing scope power for LRH. A practice that I took up as a result of taking up PRS a few years ago was to equip my LRH scopes with a power ring lever. It's nice that my recently purchased ATAC-R F2 came with one. It might not sound like it should make a big difference, but I find myself using the power ring more conveniently and frequently for acquiring game at low powder and then optimizing the preferable sight picture to take the shot(due to mirage, light, fog, etc), which is not always at the highest power available with the scope. Additionally, it's very easy to know the power setting based on the location of the lever by sight or feel from the shooting position.

My 6.5 PRC hunting rifle has a Bushnell LRTS 4.5 - 18 x 44 scope with an illuminated G3 reticle. I feel that that is about ideal for hunting in Nevada where my longest *Rule 1 Violation*al shot would be around 800 yards. Yes, I compete with a 21X max power scope but that is for much smaller targets than "minute of deer".

Is 18X about all that is necessary in your mind for *Rule 1 Violation*al shots out to 800 yards?

Eric B.

I do not know if it is ideal for all but for me, it is plenty for 800 yards. It also depends on an individual's eyesight. My son and I were out target (roughly 18-20" piece of rock) shooting at 966 yards. The scope was 4-20, I set the magnification at 14X and my son had his at only 8X for the same target/distance.

Try shooting your distance targets on the lowest power you can see them with. It will show you that your concentration is either good or needs improvement. You can shoot extremely well with very low power way out there when you give it an honest effort. I've shot many .1 .2 groups at 100 and 200 yds with a fixed 6x power and many sub moa groups at 1k with the same scope on a different rifle. I found that the fixed 36x I had couldn't get through the mirage at a shoot and it was either put the 6x on or don't shoot. I only had it because both rifles rode in the same case.

Lots of good advice given but my experience was that when Bushnell suddenly burst onto the scene with expensive scopes and sponsored their PRS comps I was having none of it. $2K for a Bush Smell...no way. But the 3.5-21x was a great range and the tracking was spot on. My only complaint was the glass was sub par for hunting conditions, as proved true when I took the PRS boys hunting at twilight. I had to tell them what end of the black blob(pig) was the head or the butt. So it depends on the quality of the glass.... 10x Swaro does not equal 10x Simmons in low light.

I'll be honest and say that I've never actually shot an animal at 800 yards and beyond yet but I have looked at several in my 16 power scope out to that range and have practiced dry fireing on some of them. I could easily place a shot on one of them with that magnafication. But having said that, it's all about personal prefrence and what ever you are comfotable with and confident in. IMHO 18 power is plenty.

Thanks guys. Interesting info here. I now feel that 18x is "enough scope" to 800 yards, especially after going to 1,095 yards on our club's steel range.
IF I took an 800 yard shot with my 6.5 PRC it would likely be on antelope B/C my 143 gr. round would have enough energy to handle it. Mule deer? likely 600 yard max and 300 yards max for bull elk.

Eric B.

Honestly, it's preference. I've found that 1X per 100y is sufficient. I grew up shooting irons out to 200y. Currently I like fixed 10x optics as it is my opinion that you can get much higher quality glass for the price you'd pay for lesser quality glass just to get a variable powered optic. My $.02

Competition is relative either way. Bench competition is based on groups. Field shooting is about making one shot. I often want to ask on this forum is it more important to have 5 one shot sub moa groups or is it better to have one 5 shot sub moa group. I'm accustom to 5 one shot groups mentality. That being said, I think field of view is more important than max mag. So 18x power is quite adequate for 800y. A 10x is fine for 800y.
I see lots of folks emphasize 5 shot groups, I guess that's the same group of folks that are concerned with barrel life. Nothing wrong with that if a fellow thinks it's necessary but it's not happening with my serious hunting rifles. I shoot several three shot groups with extend intervals between groups. If it's like I want, then I make sure the cold bore shot is consistent over a week or two period. If it is, I'm happy. The cold bore shot is what is most important to me, If it is good & consistent, I probably won't need four follow up shots.

Mr. Fergus,
After having to wait, and wait for my X-Bolt Pro's skinny barrel to cool between shots of 5 shot groups I agree with you. If you can shoot several good 3 shot groups from a brand and load of factory ammo or handload from a hunting rifle then that is a perfectly good way of determining which load is best.

With my 6.5 PRC Browning X-Bolt Pro's thin barrel the 5 shot groups with a 2 minute wait between shots heat it up too much and I get too much opening of groups to be able to find the best load. It's not that the groups (1" to 1 1/2") are not minute of deer, it's that I need to know exactly which ammo groups best and reliable 5 shot groups with this rifle take forever.

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.