Ideal Bullets for .308 26" 1:12 twist Barrel

Wheat

I have been experimenting with loads for my .308 FN SPR. It has a 26" 1:12 twist barrel. Thus far I have loaded 168 SMK's, 155 SMK Palmas and 150 AMAX's all over varying amounts of Varget. My next loads will be with 175 SMK's. Should I take twist rate into account when selecting various bullet weights to addres stabilization? If so, what is the optimal weight for a 1:12 twist 26" barrel, and why? I should add that I am only looking for accuracy and not stopping power. Any advice would be appreciated. I did perform a search of the archives but did not find anything definitive enough.
Thanks

1-12" is a good all-around twist for the .308 Winchester. If you want to go by the books, a 175gr SMK is ideally spun by a 11.25 twist. Palma shooters use 1-13 or 1-14 for the 155gr bullets. The 1-10 is usually for the 190+gr bullets.

As in all things, it's a little subjective. First, what a manufacturer advertises as a twist rate may not be exact, and depending on the velocity, etc. most bullets have a tolerance for several twist rates. My 700VS shoots 175gr and 168gr SMKs great w/ a 1-12", and does great w/ some 185gr VLD's as well. Doesn't like 155gr bullets too much so far. Some people have reported shooting 175gr SMKs w/ good results out of 1-13" twists, etc.

I'd say a 168gr or 175gr are about as close to 'ideal' for the 1-12" as any, but others like the 155gr Palma SMK or a Berger 185gr VLD should work as well. Test it and find out.

HTH,

Monte

The 185 Berger or the 175 A-Max with Varget or H-4350 should produce outstanding groups.
wink.gif

Thanks for the advice. I have had some great results with the 168's, but the 150 and 155's have been a bit disappointing. I'll try the 175 SMK's.

S1, I looked up your recomendation on Midway. Is it the Berger Match 185 VLD Hollow Point? Also, any advice as to who would have the best prices on these as well as the 175 gr AMAX?
Thanks for the info.

Howdy Wheat,

The A-max is a 178, and the Berger is the 185 VLD match. Midway, Graf & Sons, or Midsouth Shooters Supply seem to be competitive on price.
wink.gif

Hi Wheat,

I know what every body has told you about which bullets to use and all will work well, but if you want the best results for your twist, stick to the 180 SMK or the 178 AMAX, or the 175 SMK. There are new methods to getting the best bullets for twist NOT the Greenhill method. I am not saying the greenhill methods dont work but there are methods that work better. I have proven that the optimum bullet for 1-11.25" is in fact a 190 SMK not the 175. And the 175-180 works best in a 12 twist. My advice is try all and settle with what works best. But I have a feeling that 175's to 180's will work best, or anything that is in the legnth of around 1.300" I have a computer program that anylizes twists and which bullets are best for twist and velocity, so far it has hit the nail on the head. I have a 11.25 twist gun and thought the 175's were best, and they where good, but when I tried the 190's I started shooting .75"-1.000" at 300 yards all day every day. The computer told me it would be best and I could not belive that until I tried it. Also the velocity ranges for the bullets I mentioned would be 2700-2750 More stability than needed is a waste of time for accuracy, despite what some say, it also hurts ballistic coefficients. The right bullet for twist gives 2 advantages, 1: Accuracy, 2: better B.C's Give it a try. Try all and make your own conclusion. But whatever you try, make sure you try 1.300" bullets

"..Because any other sport just would not be frustrating enough!!.."

Ever tried golf.?? It's "life in hell" for an accuracy-oriented soul.. Hehehe..

grin.gif
JiNC

My .308 with a 1/12 Lilja does = with 168 & 175 SMK. However, its best 5-shot group was with 134 7 ogive BIB bullets. GO figure. Wheat, email me and I'll send you some results.

Part of the reason for so much confusion over bullet weights and barrel twist is because it is not the bullet weight but rather the length that dictates what spin is required.

There is a historical correlation between heavier bullets and the length of bullet but new manufacturing techniques and methods are starting to skew this relationship.

Take for instance a 150gr traditionally manufactured .308 bullet and measure it alongside a 150gr solid brass bullet, a 150gr alloy HP and a 150gr steel core FMJ - all of them are very different beasts that behave very differently.

(sorry for the necro but no one had mentioned this aspect)

Most folks shoot 175gr SMK for matches and other are moving out
to the 208 Amax with a BC of .648 and using RL-17....
Lots of information on Snipershide about this luck......

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.