Ideal 1000yd Elk rifle?

You don't HAVE to have a .338 to kill anything in North America, But alot of the guys on here seem to push that bullet diameter.

seems like alot of people think you have to have the biggest of everything to do anything. I'll admit it, I've been through that phase in my life,

These are the quotes from your post I was addressing. I was not trying to put you down, but if you say you are not looking for debate then please re-read what I quoted from your post.

Your explanation of what you hunt (WT deer) and your kills at ~700 yards explain why you use what you do. But I have killed Elk at close to 1200 yards, That was what you were answering, right? I have also taken them at 1100, 1000, 800 and down. I agree shot placement is king, but would you argue that a shot with a slight miscalculation of drift at 1200 would not be more likely successful with a larger bullet with more energy? Even if it didn't expand fully it would have to make a larger hole and penetrate deeper correct?

Comparison from the real world to help you understand why I at least like the 338's for past 1200 yards.

My 300 win is no slouch sending 215 gr bullets at 3000 plus.

At 1200 yards with a 10 mph FV 9:00 wind the drift is 43 inches and lands with 1880 pounds of energy.

The 7mm-300 with a 180 VLD @ 3100 plus , same shot has 43" of drift but lands with 1445 pounds of energy.

My 338 with a 300 Berger for the same shot has 32" of drift and lands with 3401 pounds of energy.

Close to 12" less drift and double the energy. You are correct about placement, but can you see where 25% less drift would help you if you are off on the hardest factor to tame, the wind? I am sure I don't need to tell you how this magnifies with distance either.

Again, not trying to put anyone down, just stating what I know, how it works for me in an effort to keep accurate info out there for those considering a shot on an elk at 1200 plus as was stated.

Jeff

Oh, and for the record I do not get free high end equipment. I am not paid to shoot anything. I am just like you in the fact I have a compassion for rifles. I buy as good of equipment as I can afford and shoot as much as I possibly can. There are sacrifices I make like many other people, to do what I love to do.

Jeff

It just seems like alot of people think you have to have the biggest of everything to do anything. I'll admit it, I've been through that phase in my life,

My favorite elk hunting area seems to hold a band of ranges for successful harvests. The area is extremely thick with small openings. The predominant successful either shoot elk within 50 yards or by those setting up in the high ground waiting for the elk to move into open ground. These LR ranges can be 800+ with many opportunities above 1000. 50 or below or 800+. Certainly any centerfire rifle I own is capable of the 50 or below. Many of my rifles are capable of the 800+ but one caliber has proven to be a clear choice and not by successful practice or good fortune but by ballistics capability. I could use my 6.5, or multiple 7's, 30's to include the RUM. They all shoot well and some extremely well up to and beyond 1000. Yet I use my 338 Lapua and 300gr Bergers for those long ranges.

I'd admit I'm one of those guys having to go bigger. Moving up to the 338 AM is about as big as you can get for a 338. Ballistics capability at those long ranges is the reason. If I could achieve the same with my other "smaller" cartridges I would use them. Moving up to the 338AM extends my ranges with same hit probability over the 338 Lapua, and I gain kinetic energy. The same can be said for the 338 Lapua over my other rifles. I'll take higher ballistics and better hit probability and kinetic energy any day and at the expense of powder, recoil, weight. An elk is a big animal, I want to put it down where it stands.

Oh, and for the record I do not get free high end equipment. I am not paid to shoot anything. I am just like you in the fact I have a compassion for rifles. I buy as good of equipment as I can afford and shoot as much as I possibly can. There are sacrifices I make like many other people, to do what I love to do.

Jeff

I was saying that there are alot of guys on here who are sponsored or get free stuff....Definitely wasn't pointing fingers there. Can't say I'm not slightly jealous, because that would be a lie. :D

I understand what you're saying, and once again, none of it was taken offensively. No worries there.

I just know of guys who have shot them with .30's and smaller. For example, my local outdoors store owner took one @ 4xx yards with his custom built .257 Wby with 110 Accubond handloads. He ain't known to lie, and goes exotic hunting all the time (Africa, South America, elk, caribou, moose, antelope, etc...). I know it sounds crazy, but I'm pretty sure it was an elk....But I know it wasn't a recommended caliber for whatever it was, but he said it was a 1-shot dead-in-tracks kill, and the guide was impressed by the caliber's damage.

Then again, inside of 500 yards, I couldn't see why it wouldn't be able to kill it...@ 500 the .257 still has alot of energy at that distance.

Like I said, yall know more than I do, but I AM trying to be helpful.

My favorite elk hunting area seems to hold a band of ranges for successful harvests. The area is extremely thick with small openings. The predominant successful either shoot elk within 50 yards or by those setting up in the high ground waiting for the elk to move into open ground. These LR ranges can be 800+ with many opportunities above 1000. 50 or below or 800+. Certainly any centerfire rifle I own is capable of the 50 or below. Many of my rifles are capable of the 800+ but one caliber has proven to be a clear choice and not by successful practice or good fortune but by ballistics capability. I could use my 6.5, or multiple 7's, 30's to include the RUM. They all shoot well and some extremely well up to and beyond 1000. Yet I use my 338 Lapua and 300gr Bergers for those long ranges.

I'd admit I'm one of those guys having to go bigger. Moving up to the 338 AM is about as big as you can get for a 338. Ballistics capability at those long ranges is the reason. If I could achieve the same with my other "smaller" cartridges I would use them. Moving up to the 338 extends my ranges with same hit probability over the 338 Lapua, and I gain kinetic energy. The same can be said for the 338 Lapua over my other rifles. I'll take higher ballistics and better hit probability and kinetic energy any day and at the expense of powder, recoil, weight. An elk is a big animal, I want to put it down where it stands.

Thank you for that response.

Mudrunner, I have been there for elk kills with a 257 wby at 400 with one shot, another at 500 took 5 due to fading light and poor placement. But the likeness between 400, 500 and 1200 on elk, are about as close as we are to Jupiter.:D

It's all good.

Jeff

Trying to keep this all on topic here. Is it possible to kill a deer at 100 yards with a 22lr? Yes, but if I'm going to spend the money lets do it right the first time. I'm pretty settled on a larger caliber, because simply why not? It's not worth it to me to spend a day tracking a wounded animal that might of went down with a larger caliber. Besides bigger is better right;)?

Mudrunner, I have been there for elk kills with a 257 wby at 400 with one shot, another at 500 took 5 due to fading light and poor placement. But the likeness between 400, 500 and 1200 on elk, are about as close as we are to Jupiter.:D

It's all good.

Jeff

This is true. Like I said, I have no real world experience with it, other than people I know that live here and travel out of state to hunt.

But I am enjoying the learning process and the critical info.

Mudrunner with the 257 Weatherby is by todays standard a little light for elk hunting. I am not sure what has happened with these elk in the last 25 years but the 25 calibers did quite the job on them back in the day. In fact the 257 Weatherby was Roy Weatherbys favorite cartridge and caliber, I personally believe for long range the 338 is a more sensible elk caliber but a quality bullet in a maxed out 257 Weatherby will recoil less and kill effectively at very long ranges. I own 2 and have taken deer at over 500yds before with this cartridge. I truly believe that it was a elk they too would be DRT. I doubt I will ever do this due to my 7mm and 338 rifles

Mudrunner with the 257 Weatherby is by todays standard a little light for elk hunting. I am not sure what has happened with these elk in the last 25 years but the 25 calibers did quite the job on them back in the day. In fact the 257 Weatherby was Roy Weatherbys favorite cartridge and caliber, I personally believe for long range the 338 is a more sensible elk caliber but a quality bullet in a maxed out 257 Weatherby will recoil less and kill effectively at very long ranges. I own 2 and have taken deer at over 500yds before with this cartridge. I truly believe that it was a elk they too would be DRT. I doubt I will ever do this due to my 7mm and 338 rifles

Yep, sure was Roy's favorite. I can't remember all the details, but I remember reading that he also used it to take a charging Cape Buffalo in Africa with it, with a 1-shot heart-shot kill, just to prove how capable of a round it was. The details might be slightly different...Since I can't remember the exact story.

The local gunstore owner shot his back in 2007/2008, b/c it was what pushed me over the edge to order mine. And I'm glad I did. Incredible killing power from a small light projectile. Smooth shooting (mine has no break) and blistering velocities are just a plus!

I love the 110 Accubonds for deer, but for the last 6 months been shooting Berger VLD's, including the 115gr VLD's in the .257 Wby. Can't wait to see how they perform on whitetails this year.

I own 2 and have taken deer at over 500yds before with this cartridge. I truly believe that it was a elk they too would be DRT. I doubt I will ever do this due to my 7mm and 338 rifles

One question if I may: Have you ever dropped an elk DRT? Ever?

Ever seen one DRT? I have seen and shot some deer, mostly DRT with 270 and bigger. Never an elk.

I have hit elk with 270, 7 mag , 300 mag and 338 win mag, heart lung, high shoulder and spine. Never DRT.

So I'm curious how elk topple over for some people but never for me... :D

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.