Idahoans sound off.

Do any of you guys have any info (positive or negative) about Broadmouth Canyon Elk Outfitters in Idaho? I'm considering a 2012 hunt.

If you enjoy a "canned" hunt then this one's for you. Just make sure you ask your guide how much the elk you're wanting to shoot is going to cost before you shoot it, if money means anything to you. 340's and up cost lots of $$$. You'll be hunting in sagebrush flats, quaken aspen and some timber in the Blackfoot Mountain range. Fairly pretty in the fall with the color changes going on. Don't look to run in to any NFL players, if that's the reason you want to hunt there. You might see Rulon Jones, but I doubt it. The Grand Teton Mountains in the background should awe you if you've never been to Idaho. You'll be quite close to Jackson Hole, Wyoming which is exceptional that time of year. Lots of super fishing on the Snake River below Palisades Reservoir as well.

Do any of you guys have any info (positive or negative) about Broadmouth Canyon Elk Outfitters in Idaho? I'm considering a 2012 hunt.

I know the Jones quite well. They live up the road from me a bit, in Firth.

When he was getting his permits to build the place, I was about the only one on his side at the county commission meetings. He got a royal screwin' from the locals but came out on top regardless.

That is when I decided I'll run for county commission when I get back there. It'll be a one term serve but sure as heck will be memorable.:D

Accommodations are top cabin and friendly. Country is beautiful. If you ensure that the "boys" won't be out and about attempting to haze things in your favor you'll have no idea that there is a fence.

If you want to ensure you'll get your shot, the "fenced" hunts are the only way to go. I'll be doing one only to ensure that I get a realistic terminal test on a specific bullet in 375.

I'll be doing the hunt under my personal conditions. No guides, I go where I wish and shoot what I want. I'll do my own field dressing and hauling out. Then bask my butt a fancy well tended lodge for a day or two before the 35 minute drive home.

How's that for a thought........?

I know the Jones quite well. They live up the road from me a bit, in Firth.

When he was getting his permits to build the place, I was about the only one on his side at the county commission meetings. He got a royal screwin' from the locals but came out on top regardless.

That is when I decided I'll run for county commission when I get back there. It'll be a one term serve but sure as heck will be memorable.:D

Accommodations are top cabin and friendly. Country is beautiful. If you ensure that the "boys" won't be out and about attempting to haze things in your favor you'll have no idea that there is a fence.

If you want to ensure you'll get your shot, the "fenced" hunts are the only way to go. I'll be doing one only to ensure that I get a realistic terminal test on a specific bullet in 375.

I'll be doing the hunt under my personal conditions. No guides, I go where I wish and shoot what I want. I'll do my own field dressing and hauling out. Then bask my butt a fancy well tended lodge for a day or two before the 35 minute drive home.

How's that for a thought........?

Thanks for the feedback. I had no idea that there were any fences anywhere @ Broadmouth. That's something that you don't see in the video depicting the vast mountain ranges and beautiful countryside.

The whole fence thing is both surprising and disappointing - sounds more like hunting in Africa. Glad I posted here to get some first hand info.

Any other outfitters that I should consider?

Russell Pond Outfitters is one of the very best, located in St. Maries, Id. If you go to your search engine and type in top idaho elk guides you will find a website that has reviews from hunters that have hunted with various guides. I can't imagine that Russell Pond Outfitters isn't there with accolades from hunters, as they are the best I've ever gone with hunting anything. They know where the game is before you arrrive and guide you expertly. You need to be in good physical shape as you will be doing a fair amount of climbing. You will see a lot of game. You will probably have a terrific opportunity to shoot a wolf and mule deer in the 180 and above range as well. I was stupid and didn't buy a deer tag and missed out getting a muley of a lifetime. You will see lots of elk and, if you don't fill your tag, it will be your fault, not the guide's. Their website is: www.russellpond.com

Last edited:
Varmint Hunter:

I am not aware of this outfitter. But, this is a big state with many of them, so that means nothing. I would try to offer you any information if I had any.

Varmint Hunter,
I found the site I mentioned in my previous post. You can peruse most of the guides that have prior client reviews and judge for yourself. I noticed that several reviewers left their email addresses. This will enable you to contact those previous clients and discuss with them how their outfitter handled them.
www.huntinfo.com/idaho-outfitter-guide-reviews

Varmint Hunter,
I found the site I mentioned in my previous post. You can peruse most of the guides that have prior client reviews and judge for yourself. I noticed that several reviewers left their email addresses. This will enable you to contact those previous clients and discuss with them how their outfitter handled them.
www.huntinfo.com/idaho-outfitter-guide-reviews

Thanks for the info - I sent them an email for additional information on their elk hunts.

Kamiah, Id right now, but moving to Emmett in a few weeks to attend CWI for the fall semester. Looks like I will be chasing some mulies this season. Gonna have to find some new shooting partners down there.

Backcountry- have you checked out maps around these parts??? I have only personally hunted unit 39 and don't reccomend it for the faint of heart. Unit 32 is pretty good, lots of private property, I went with a friend on a late season doe hunt last year, tried to draw tags for it this year, but am not sure I will be doing any hunting this year as personal things have gotten real bad for me. Was hoping to be able to kill a nice muley with my new custom rifle. Maybe next year. How ya doin GB-Fish

Backcountry- have you checked out maps around these parts??? I have only personally hunted unit 39 and don't reccomend it for the faint of heart. Unit 32 is pretty good, lots of private property, I went with a friend on a late season doe hunt last year, tried to draw tags for it this year, but am not sure I will be doing any hunting this year as personal things have gotten real bad for me. Was hoping to be able to kill a nice muley with my new custom rifle. Maybe next year. How ya doin GB-Fish

Man, it's been a long, slow and painfull process healing. I don't think I've ever had any surgery take the starch out of me like this one has. I've got so much to do this year after buying the new place in Orofino. I've got to get a bunch of permits done up there so I can at least get a road in and my shop up before the snow flies. Good to hear from you.

Freebird63,
I haven't got maps of the areas yet, I plan on it, I just have not had the time to do alot of stuff this year. I was actually considering trying to archery hunt for my deer this year, bought a new bow and am dying to use it. We traveled down to Emmett for a visit last weekend and all I had time to do was chat with the sporting goods guy at Bi-mart, I need to get some maps and try and make a plan of sorts. We will see what I actually have time for this year and what I dont, worst case scenario I will just take a weekend and drive back up to kamiah and fill my deer tag. Not afraid to put a nice size doe in the freezer, it all eats the same.

GB- I have some maps of some of the areas, I bought a bunch at last years sportsmans show. But like I had said things have gotten real tight for me, I still need to get a new set of dies for my 280AI, the dies that came with it I don't like them at all, I found some nice redding dies but for the comp seater die its $120 and for the neck sizer die its $54 and not having any income now makes it real tough to get those things. I was thinking if I could come up with the money for a tag I would try unit 39 again, the wife has already told me she won't hunt up there ever again. I am sure things are still going to get worse for me before they get better. Thats kinda the way my luck rolls. Ya those shoulder surgeries are no fun at all. Its funny you were in my neck of the woods and I was in your neck of the woods. Is your shoulder going to let you hunt with a bow???? For me its going to be a day by day go at life.
Take care GB-Fisch

GB- I have some maps of some of the areas, I bought a bunch at last years sportsmans show. But like I had said things have gotten real tight for me, I still need to get a new set of dies for my 280AI, the dies that came with it I don't like them at all, I found some nice redding dies but for the comp seater die its $120 and for the neck sizer die its $54 and not having any income now makes it real tough to get those things. I was thinking if I could come up with the money for a tag I would try unit 39 again, the wife has already told me she won't hunt up there ever again. I am sure things are still going to get worse for me before they get better. Thats kinda the way my luck rolls. Ya those shoulder surgeries are no fun at all. Its funny you were in my neck of the woods and I was in your neck of the woods. Is your shoulder going to let you hunt with a bow???? For me its going to be a day by day go at life.
Take care GB-Fisch
No more Bow Hunting for me. I was told I would and should never lift, pull, push or shove anything over 25lbs after it heals in another 9 or 10 months. If I'm able to do anything archery wise, it'll be with a crossbow. I doubt that that will happen as that is one of the very last things I would ever be able to afford to buy.