Idahoans sound off.

Hi Clear-Cut,

It good to see more Idahoans sounding off in this forum.

How is everything going up North?

Vandal,
Do you know anyone up there that wants to sell 20-60 acres? I am looking to buy some property to build a new home on and I haven't had very good experiences with the realtors up there keeping me informed. Would prefer to buy direct and save them the realestate commission and listing fee.

Well, I make one. I live near Boise, Idaho. I punch very little paper, but I am interested in long range big game hunting, varmint shooting, and the like. I do a lot of rockchucks, jacks, and ground squirrels.

Well, I make one. I live near Boise, Idaho. I punch very little paper, but I am interested in long range big game hunting, varmint shooting, and the like. I do a lot of rockchucks, jacks, and ground squirrels.

Well, if you want to be a proficient long range hunter you have to practice shooting long range targets. Shooting AR steel plate targets are best in my book, but anything you can place out range up to 1000 yards and be able to see where you're hitting from where you're shooting is fine. Just popping a round out at an animal like a chuck once in awhile doesn't build any consistency with your shooting. Learning how to dope wind, shoot up and down terrain, etc takes a lot of practice to build confidence in shooting and killing an animal at long range. It isn't fair to the animal to pop a long range shot at it and risk not killing it with a lethal shot. It takes practice and the best way to practice is to shoot at paper, milk jugs full of water, balloons or steel stationary targets until you become proficient time and time again.

Well, of course.

However, I would point out that punching paper and shooting at live targets with a brain are two very different endeavors. I have hunted with a lot of paper punchers, and while many of them are quite good at that, when it comes to live game, all of a sudden, they can't pull the trigger, and when they finally do, the target has died of old age!

You totally missed my point. My discussion was not that you need to shoot targets on any type of competitive level. My point is you need to shoot at various long ranges on a consistant practice level. You need to know where to place your shot leathally when the time comes you are wanting to make the long range shot of 400 to 1000 yards. Obviously, you can't shoot at large game all day long to aquire the proficiency it takes to make a shot in the vitals of a elk or deer at those ranges when the time comes. You could practice on chucks, if you were to use the rifle that you hunt large game with. As far as what the brain inflicts while trying to shoot an elk or deer on some hunters (buck fever), that is a different control issue.

Last edited:
You totally missed my point. My discussion was not that you need to shoot targets on any type of competitive level. My point is you need to shoot at various long ranges on a consistant practice level. You need to know where to place your shot leathally when the time comes you are wanting to make the long range shot of 400 to 1000 yards. Obviously, you can't shoot at large game all day long to aquire the proficiency it takes to make a shot in the vitals of a elk or deer at those ranges when the time comes. You could practice on chucks, if you were to use the rifle that you hunt large game with. As far as what the brain inflicts while trying to shoot an elk or deer on some hunters (buck fever), that is a different control issue.

OK again. I know you probably meant well, but I did not totally miss your point. I have been shooting for fifty years, and have probably shot 50,000 or more rounds at varmints. I have also shot a few dozen deer, two elk, and a pronghorn.

OK again. I know you probably meant well, but I did not totally miss your point. I have been shooting for fifty years, and have probably shot 50,000 or more rounds at varmints. I have also shot a few dozen deer, two elk, and a pronghorn.
I'm sorry. I thought you were interested in learning how to shoot at long ranges. Just having someone spot your hits at longer ranges so you can walk your shots in to the target takes a lot of extra ammo. It usually doesn't work for shooting large game like it might on ground squirrels and chucks.They don't stand around very long after you pop the cap on a round. Wouldn't it be more exciting to be learn how to be able to cut a round loose and connect on the first shot at 500 or 600+ yards? If you learned how to be efficient at doing that repetitively, you might have only had to shoot 20K rounds making one shot hits.

Hey Fish, hows the weather down in Twin????
If we can put together a shoot I will have a new toy to bring, I finally found someone that wanted a 300RUM to trade. Looks like I will be bringing a 280 Ackley Improved. I have not go it yet as I am having a couple things done to it before its sent to me, but that gives me time to find more load data for it. I think I will enjoy shooting it more then the sendero. My daughter and her boyfriend down there just bought a boat so they are wanting us to come down and go fishing with them, not sure where they plan on going?????
was kinda thinkin about trying to catch some walleye down there in Salmon falls Res. You got any honey holes down there?????
Talk to you soon and hope your doing well.