Idaho wolf down

mullmann03

My uncle took this wolf in unit 24 on October 17th. She was by herself, unfortunately.

image 57.jpg

I'm sorry to see such a beautiful animal die for nothing.Generally speeking we don't eat wolf and the likelyhood will be that the carcass will just be thrown away.The fur will not be rendered for coat making as it is in Alaska and the animal will have died for nothing.There is nothing wrong with taking animals for our use or consumption, but this is a complete waste.
Wolves help keep the deer and elk moving during hunting season.Without them your likely to experence long days sitting and waiting for animals to move that know moving during the day might get them shot.
Please don't tell me how many deer are killed by wolves.Bears take more deer than wolves do, and the main reason we have a season for the taking of deer or elk is because we must limit their numbers. Wolves help us to do that, and they also help keep the rodent population in check.If you have wisdom you will see the logic in what I have said. If not you most certainly will call me names I probably have never been called before. Thats the risk I take because I think animals shouldn't be persecuted.The wolf is no different than the Bear, its just that we can eat Bear or make use of its fur.

so izzy do you honestly think there are enough elk and deer to support the wolf and human hunters, meaning no drop in tags and still have the same harvest numbers if so I think you are just fooling yourself. It makes sense to keep the hunters that are paying to harvest animals and can be controlled versus the predator that won't stop killing until the prey is gone. not that humans haven't done this before but we are much better regulated now than before.

I'm sorry to see such a beautiful animal die for nothing.Generally speeking we don't eat wolf and the likelyhood will be that the carcass will just be thrown away.The fur will not be rendered for coat making as it is in Alaska and the animal will have died for nothing.There is nothing wrong with taking animals for our use or consumption, but this is a complete waste.
Wolves help keep the deer and elk moving during hunting season.Without them your likely to experence long days sitting and waiting for animals to move that know moving during the day might get them shot.
Please don't tell me how many deer are killed by wolves.Bears take more deer than wolves do, and the main reason we have a season for the taking of deer or elk is because we must limit their numbers. Wolves help us to do that, and they also help keep the rodent population in check.If you have wisdom you will see the logic in what I have said. If not you most certainly will call me names I probably have never been called before. Thats the risk I take because I think animals shouldn't be persecuted.The wolf is no different than the Bear, its just that we can eat Bear or make use of its fur.

Izzy - How do you know that the fur will not be used? You are obviously not a hunter because an actual hunter with actual outdoors experience would know better that to make the erroneous statements in your post. Your "logic" is based on false assumptions and if you had spent any time hunting in the wild you would know that the propaganda you are spewing is a bunch of BS. I think we would all appreciate it if you and your anti-hunting buddies would stay off our site.

Hey Izzy

If you are an anti hunter as your comments indicate why are you even on this forum. Go away and bother people elsewhere with your pointless and inane comments.

Nice Wolf by the way, I wish we had the predators in Australia that you guys have over there :)

Last edited:
I wonder what kind of Koolaid IZZY has been drinking... To make such off the wall stupid statements. It is obvious he doesn't live anywhere near a wolf population or is an anti . When entire local populations of Elk, Deer and Moose have been completely wiped out by wolves and he believes the poor wolves need to be protected. He really is on the wrong forum to spew that garbage.... Dave

I honestly think that the reason we have hunting is to regulate the numbers of deer and elk or other wild game.I think the the wolves can help us do that. I believe in conservation of all our resourses and that they should be used wisely. I also have no problem with ranchers killing wolves or Bears or other wild animals that attack their live stock. My problem is with hunting seasons on animals that self regulate their own numbers and are not used for food or other uses.
Its a proven fact that wolves regulate their own numbers. If you don't believe that just look at the studies that have been done on Isle Royal Michigan. When the Moose numbers go up so do the wolf numbers.When the Moose numbers go down so do the wolf numbers.Really the only problem with wolves is you sometimes have wolves that start preying on domestic animals.Those are the bad wolves and the ranchers should have every right to kill them.However that is their problem and they should be able to handle it their way according to certain restrictions, No poisoning!That kills everything.I just don't agree with open seasons on all wolves because that would kill the wolves that have been causing no problem.

Strange post Izzy. You state your opinion, and then politely ask not to confuse you with facts or other opinions, and then claim folks with "wisdom and logic"will agree with you. Presumably the rest of us have no experience or knowledge to add to the discussion.

1) Wolves are very different than bears. At the very least they're not an impact on deer and elk herds for the months they hibernate.
2) House dogs routinely run deer to death. This chasing the game around all hunting season-What effect do you think it has on winter mortalities of bucks trying to recover from the stress of the rut, and the does trying to recover from summer lactation?
3) Rodent control? So let me see if I got this-when wolves pack up in numbers of 6-12 they're organizing to raid prairie dog towns? Actually bigger packs have been noted, and if it gets real harsh combined packs can get much bigger.
4) Are you telling me that when we see them running in fields of livestock they are just chasing the mice?
5) The Wedge pack (WA), the Wallowa pack (OR), and a pack in Idaho all make the news as confirmed livestock killers. Did they just run out of mice?
6) The hounds, guard dogs, and miscellaneous pets they've killed, What is their motivation old wise wolf whisperer?
7) In terms of waste; Do you suppose humans waste more wolf carcasses, or do wolves waste more in what biologist refer to as "sport reflex kills?
8) Why are mountain lions starving where the wolves have been moved in?
9) Check out the video making the rounds of a sow grizzly with cubs doing battle with a boar, and wolves over a kill. How desperate is she? Why is she this this desperate?
10) Human bear conflicts are up. A starving sow and cubs killed and ate a camper last year, reminiscent of the post dump closure years. Is it your belief that the elk herd being reduced from about 19,000 animals to under 4,000 by wolves plays no part in this dynamic?
Lots of threads on this, and generally it would be better manners to start your own thread rather than hijack someone else's.
My apologies to the to the OP for this turn of conversation. I, for one congratulate those able to add this trophy to their list.

Last edited: