Idaho Unit 40

idcwby

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with hunting unit 40 for elk in Idaho?

I personally haven't hunted unit 40 for elk but I have a buddy who hunted it a few times the past couple years for cow elk. I believe he hunted up around Reynolds Creek and the problem he had was that all the elk seemed to be on private ground and it was difficult to get them to come off the ranches. I have hunted 40 alot for deer and predators and have accidently bumped into a few elk but they can be very hard to find. Did you draw a tag?

I didn't draw, but my buddy drew a bull tag for the end of September there. Just looking for some ideas of where to start.

your buddy is a lucky man. I have drawn that unit for the late buck hunt back in 2007 and shot a pretty nice buck. The elk I have seen were all up on south mountain so that's where I would start and if I remember correctly you can hunt unit 42 also on that hunt so I would go over and look at Juniper mountain also. You might bump into a rancher or two out there and most the time they are pretty friendly and willing to tell you if they have seen any. I have a few buddies I hunt with that grew up over there and still spend a lot of time out there so I will pick their brain and see if I can find out anymore from them and let you know. I hope he has a great hunt.

Thanks for the help. Any is appreciated.

I know he is luckier than me, but I get to tag along and learn about the area.

I was just down there the end of June shooting rock chucks. I talked to some of the cowboys and they said every meadow on Juniper and South mtn had elk in them. A lot of that country is state or federal with private mixed in. Get a good map and do your homework and spend time scouting and visiting with the ranchers and I'm sure you will have a good hunt. Good luck!!

I was down in the Reynolds Creek drainage in March of this year and saw several elk. A couple of the cows even came in to investigate my predator call. Good luck, at least you know there are elk in the area.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.