Idaho Unit 21A

Lahunter76

My cousin is doing an over the counter Mule Deer Hunt in the Idaho Salmon Unit 21A and was wondering if anyone had any info on this unit, we live in Louisiana so not like we can go scout. Not asking for someone's honey hole just about the unit it's self, what he needs to expect.

Thanks for any information.

I used to hunt 21A over 30 years ago. We would stay at the Deluxe Motel in Salmon and head out every morning. Saw some of the largest mule deer bucks I've ever seen there. Carmen creek and 4th of July creek are a couple of the drainages I remember. I also remember it was up hill both ways... That area has also had some viscous winter kills over the years. Not sure how it's recovered lately. Good luck....

That area has a ton of bears. Saw 10 on a five-day hunt. There used to be some good deer also but I haven't hunted it in 15 years or so. I kind of left Idaho alone after the wolves were brought back.

Have 3 skilled friends that hunted this unit very hard last year. I will get you some current info, and get their recommends on where to stay, and some places to look. ...May take a week. ......FWB

Get in shape! Very steep country. Carmen creek is out but forth of July and Second creek are good choices that are accessible from the road. Hike two hours up then start hunting. obtw did I say get in shape?

Suggestion: drive to the North end of the unit at the pass into Montana. Follow the road south along the state boundry line. At various places hike down thru your unit to a vehicle waiting along the highway. Start mid day when thermals rising. Medium hikes, always looking and hiking down. No ball-buster uphill hikes. Good luck.

Lots of good advice here, get in shape, then exercise more, lots of steep hills out that way, we have been that unit for going on 40 years, sometimes it's good, other times not. Roll of the dice.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.