Idaho Spring Bear Spot and Stalk

USAF Marksman

Stationed in Utah and looking to go up to Idaho next spring to find some bears. Internet scouting is less than ideal, and likely won't get the chance to go up this fall and look around due to COVID restrictions (dumb). Anyone interested in pointing me in the right direction? Looking to hunt in the reduced tag units but doesn't really matter at the end of the day. I've never been to Idaho so I'm not familiar with anything....

Any help would be much appreciated.

pick an area, get familiar with forest service road system. Have decent glassing gear, and just drive to open areas as soon as the snow pack allows. There are actually pretty good bear numbers in Idaho and if you can glass them up in a spot you can get to them... your good to go. Last year was my first year bear hunting and the first spot on the salmon River we picked we hiked up for a day hunt and found 5 bears.

Thanks for the encouraging reply. I'm doing my best to make an educated guess on an area to go (if there is such a thing). I'd be happy to see a bear even if I couldn't shoot it.

Did you guys tag out?

pick an area, get familiar with forest service road system. Have decent glassing gear, and just drive to open areas as soon as the snow pack allows. There are actually pretty good bear numbers in Idaho and if you can glass them up in a spot you can get to them... your good to go. Last year was my first year bear hunting and the first spot on the salmon River we picked we hiked up for a day hunt and found 5 bears.

I'm pretty amped up just to get up there and hike around. I've never seen a bear in the wild, and keep hearing how abundant they are in Idaho. It's given me a serious itch.....

Nope! The one shooter we could have gone after disappeared as we were getting ready for a 800 yard shot. He never slowed down. Was coming to a good spot at 600 yards then shot downhill and didn't see him again.

The key is finding areas to glass. Anywhere that greens up early (avalanche chutes) is likely to hold bears. The later you go the more disbursed they will be.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.