Idaho Removes Seven Wolves to Bolster Ailing Elk Numbers

That's easier said than done. I've only seen one in all the years I've hunted here. I had a pack close to us on an elk hunt howling but never saw them.
How many have you killed in Montana?
Yep. Tough to find on purpose. It is easier said than done. I've killed one. So far. mtmuley

Wolves are everywhere and nowhere. I've spent a considerable amount of time hunting them and work with an outfitter buddy guiding clients. They are incredible animals and keen to human presences. It really boils down to being able to capitalize on a encounter. If wolf population is to be controlled hunting is not the way to do it. It must be trapping. Hunter success rate is ridiculously low. This is not like hunting coyotes, and people struggle to understand this. I've only managed to kill 12 and really could not begin to say how much time I have invested. Hell, I'm considering putting the bow away for archery elk season and just dedicate my vacation time to wolf hunting.
IMG_6172.JPG

My daughter and I were trying to call in a cougar last May in outside of Summerlake OR. Only animal we called in was a wolf. He came in hard to the call. Didn't seem too worried when he discovered we weren't a fawn in distress. Maybe because he knew it is illegal to shoot them here. We have to wait until the game animals are below the levels they can bounce back before we will be allowed to shoot one.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.