Idaho otc regular deer tag

In western Wyoming. You can blame over predation (including human), loss of habitat, unwillingness of resident hunters to pay their own way and mostly oil and gas development on critical winter habitat. If you want big bucks you need to use management practices that insure deer can live to be 4 or 5 years old at least.

I've hunted mule deer in Idaho for over 20 years. Deer numbers are cyclic and many areas were affected by the recent bad winter. In my opinion the mule deer initiative hasn't done anything significant to improve the deer hunting. Habitat has been a big factor in the decreasing deer numbers. More difficulty in finding mature bucks is a result of predators. Humans are the number one predator of mature mule deer bucks. Today's hunters are much more effective at killing mature bucks than they were 20 years ago and much more effective than than they were 60 years ago. Hunters have more effective weapons, optics and ability to travel into remote places. Another big factor is that a higher percentage of today's hunters are hunting for horns than they were in the past. There are still many mature bucks in OTC units in Idaho but they are more difficult to locate when the season is open. Bucks that survive more than 4 seasons have found a way to avoid hunters. Private land helps some bucks survive. Mature bucks on public land become nocturnal and/or stay in heavy cover when the season is open. I've killed a couple mature bucks right out of their beds and I knowfor a fact that both of them bedded down before legal shooting light. If you want to hunt mature muley bucks that feed out in the open during daylight then you are going to have a hard time on public land Idaho OTC. Idaho OTC is managed for opportunity, not quality. You will find much better quality on Idaho's controlled hunts or hunts in other states. If you want an opportunity to hunt you can find it on an OTC hunt in Idaho but don't expect a mature buck without a lot of luck or a lot of hard work.

Last edited:
WyomingMike said...."There really isn't any more pressure from non residents, I don't think Idaho sells out on their deer tags"....

Actually they hqve been selling out of general tags....resident hunters that really like to hunt have been purchasing a non resident tag to hunt for extra deer.....i know.....i did this year....and others I have knowledge of have done the same....
I hunted muleys down south and went north to chase whities....
Got the Muley this year....saw the whitetail buck..didnt get my shot...then didnt see him again.....so my deer season probably cost me about $1000 to play..and i was fine with only punching one tag....

Alot of locals, from my experience shoot small bucks. They arent letting them grow. Ive had to pack in or ask to get peivate land access to see 180-200"....ive seen some good bucks the past few years, but in areas wolves are not or people will not go. I think ive glassed more than actually hoofing it these past few years.

Heres a buck after the hard winter a few years ago we couldn't seal the deal on. Hard to tell at 1500 yards but hes got a ton of mass and stickers everywhere.

As well as a coworkers 29 wide 4 this season otc on both

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-02-16-15-15-14~2.png
    Screenshot_2019-02-16-15-15-14~2.png
    841.4 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG957426.jpg
    IMG957426.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 198
Nice bucks Backcountry.....
The bedded buck is nice....coworkers looks like it needed about two more years...backyard buck is really strong on forks and eyeguard..but needs about 2-3 more years.....be hard to resist those bucks....

Really, really, bad winter a couple years ago. Idaho F&G had posted numbers on projected winter kill and survival rates and they were not good. I'm not sure what units you were hunting but it was pretty bad all over. The last I heard it may take 3-5 years for recovery IF the winters are normal ones. Hang in there. The deer numbers will be back. I've hunted Idaho for the past 8 years and have taken some nice deer. Good on you for taking the chance on a new place! I bet you saw some awesome country and have an idea where to go if you try Idaho again. This buck was taken in Idaho the season after the bad winter. Overall deer numbers were way down but there were a few big ones that survived the prior winter.
It was definitely rewarding, and I like discovering new ground. We had a bad winter here in Oregon too, really took its toll on the antelope! I probably wouldn't hunt the same units again unless it was for elk, seen bulls almost everyday! I don't regret the hunt at all. And that's a great buck Dell!

I am a local and it is getting worse - like it or not, pressure from significantly more out of staters is partially to blame. Every other truck I see out in the field has out of state tags. Between them and the wolves it has been harder to find the big ones, or even let them grow to be big. I know a lot of locals who will pass on a young buck and let him mature. I see more out of staters with young 2 and 3 points in the back of the truck, probably that they shot off the side of the road - I am guessing they just want to shoot something for all of the expense they have into the hunts...with tough winters and hunters willing to shoot young bucks, its tough to find a big one...
That wasn't me, I passed on a few immature deer and left with my tag.

That wasn't me, I passed on a few immature deer and left with my tag.

Good for you man - If it doesn't have 4 points on each side I won't even consider pulling the trigger, I'll eat a tag sandwich :)

After we hunted hard for 4 days and missed a couple opportunities at some 4 points, I let my 11 year old shoot a 2 point - it was his first deer hunt and he knows that was a 1 time thing, he had to go back to school and ball practice etc. I wouldn't have traded that experience for the world. So I would be a hypocrite if I didn't admit that there is a time and a place to harvest an immature buck.

All kids deserve the opportunity to take their first buck....hopefully it is at least a nice 2.5 year old buck....
I would insist he shoot it...wherever it was...a great experience made better with parent(s) and children......i won't ever forget the first buck my son got...
Hell of a hike downhill across a canyon and in to big timber..about 700 yards...he wounded the buck at 200 yards...we went after it...caught it in he big timber and he finished it at about 20 yards....great pictures..a little video for mom..and a huge pack back up the mountain....never forget....

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.