Idaho otc regular deer tag

I noticed that Idaho made some adjustment to hunting regs this next couple of years in our areas. Like for instance the non-resident tags are going to be down from 35% to 25% for a few species and areas. I think that they realize that mature animals are down and want to provide a better quality experience.

Yep, they do a survey, crunch some numbers and spit out a result. Nothing earth shattering one way or the other. More or less like adding a little hot water to the tub so it's just right. No doubt they do the best job they know how but I question their overall effectiveness in deer management. That said, I couldn't do any better.

My brother in law came to hunt with me this year, he is a OOS. We hunted and I didn't see a Mule deer buck worthy of a tag and he has killed Mule deer in the past so I was very careful on what got a second look. I was ok with shooting anything for him over 150. At the end of the hunt he said he was gonna shoot the next buck he seen. Well we were driving on a FS road and we seen three small 3 and 4 points and I just kept driving and he said you need to stop so I can shoot one. I told him we don't shoot little bucks but let them grow and he could shoot a Whitetail doe if he wanted meat. He then told me he was not going home with a doe. (Ego) I said ok suit yourself but your not shooting a little buck in my presence and he said so this is how its going to be and I replied yep. He went home empty handed and no smarter. I informed him this year not to bother buying a tag as I wouldn't take him hunting. That unfortunately is OOS mentality sometimes to good to take a doe home as they have been bragging to there buddies about killing "A BUCK". Sad

My brother in law came to hunt with me this year, he is a OOS. We hunted and I didn't see a Mule deer buck worthy of a tag and he has killed Mule deer in the past so I was very careful on what got a second look. I was ok with shooting anything for him over 150. At the end of the hunt he said he was gonna shoot the next buck he seen. Well we were driving on a FS road and we seen three small 3 and 4 points and I just kept driving and he said you need to stop so I can shoot one. I told him we don't shoot little bucks but let them grow and he could shoot a Whitetail doe if he wanted meat. He then told me he was not going home with a doe. (Ego) I said ok suit yourself but your not shooting a little buck in my presence and he said so this is how its going to be and I replied yep. He went home empty handed and no smarter. I informed him this year not to bother buying a tag as I wouldn't take him hunting. That unfortunately is OOS mentality sometimes to good to take a doe home as they have been bragging to there buddies about killing "A BUCK". Sad

Well played - that seems like the typical out of state hunter from my experience. They would rather shoot a young buck than go home empty handed.

I do Idaho every year and our fav area was burnt to a crisp during the summer and it was a bummer hoping better this coming season

All my previous hunting areas have been burnt. These fires can burn the size of a small state before the rains put them out.

No, Mike 338 hunting wolves is nothing like hunting coyotes at least not up here in the north. Too thick with brush and timber. Makes it hard to call them in. Do nt take that wrong they will definitely respond to calls. I have called them in with howls once and with rabbit squeal but yet to get a shot as they are real good at hooking down wind.
My oldest Son Logan and I spend a LOT of time in the woods and have only seen them 3 times now but everywhere we hunt we see tracks now and hear there howls.
Last year we found the largest number of dead elk and moose while out hunting than ever (11 I think it was)!
We were able to tell for certain (in our minds by the sign) that 5 of them, three moose and 2 Elk were wolf kills.
Idaho this year will be giving out I think it was 168 fewer Moose permits this season and many less Mt Goat.
They are also wanting to pay to have wolves professionally killed in some areas.
So the feds use our tax dollars to reintroduce wolves and then the state takes our tax dollars to get rid of them!!! Go figure

This last year I hunted Idaho regular season for Muleys. Granted I basically shot from the hip so we packed in a fashion that we could move quickly from area to area. I figured it would be fairly tuff going in blind but that was an understatement!! We hunted 5 different units and covered great country and came up with all young bucks in 12 days. Is this state going down hill too? Are the Mule deer initiatives not working? Is it a case of too many predators? I was disappointed to say the least and left with my tag.

Any thoughts?

wolves

Lots of changes for the upcoming 2019-2020 seasons statewide. Up north in particular very staggering added controlled hunt tags!

Take your frustrations to the commissioners! If we do not speak to them then they will go with what they believe is right.

writing a demeaning hateful letter will get you no where, so if we can get our point acrossed being civil this is our best way of getting something done!

Clearly we the sportsmen that pound the timber every year have a good idea of what is going on-do your part, write to the commissioners and make our voices heard!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.