Idaho muzzleloader definition

[/quote]

This seems to be the key question though, "what is the purpose of the limitiations?"

We know that herd numbers are actually controlled by days of the season and quotas, not technology of the weapon.

So what rational purpose to benefit hunting or game management does these limitations perform? NOT ONE PERSON HAS GIVEN ANY REASON HERE.BH[/QUOTE]

As I tried to state above: When the technology increases to the point where modern muzzleloaders are virtually the equivalent of modern single shot rifles and therefore their effectiveness in hunters' hands approach modern firearms, it is at that point I believe the IDFG begins asking the question as to whether there should be a special set aside season for these weapons. This I believe will lead to shortened seasons and fewer new seasons for primitive weapons. I'm all for maximizing hunter days afield even if it means lowering the chance for success.

This year in Idaho they established a short-range weapons season in some areas for modern muzzleloaders and slug guns. The regulations allow optics and other modern equipment that are not allowed in a muzzleloader-only season. Perhaps this will be the answer the dept. is looking for to address these modern weapons. But the unit in this region that they have selected was historically under the older muzzleloader-only rules. The new season will I believe increase the hunting pressure and the success rate in this late season hunt and ultimately lead to either the elimination or shortening of this special season or the shortening of the general rifle season in this area.

Technology leads to higher success rates on game. Higher success rates lead to fewer animals and therefore fewer special hunts and shorter seasons for all hunters. I'm all for more days afield and therefore more opportunity for all hunters; especially that segment of the hunting community that hunt with primitive weapons which lower their chances of success. That is one of my reasons.

The other being the challenge of using a primitive era weapon with all/most of the shortcomings of those experienced 150 yrs, ago. That also was part of why historically these seasons were established.

Last edited:
SNIP

I agree late season cow seasons might not be the best unless their is an over abundance. Many states are doing late season doe or cow harvest to reduce the overall numbers. That is another real thorny issue of shooting any female with some guys. You have guys that absolutely believe that is the worst thing that can be done, when in fact it really in some cases is sound herd management. Yet no matter how many times they are proven wrong, they will not believe.

OK, I don't know if this was in response to my post or not. If it was, then you ABSOLUTELY got me wrong!

Management lies in Doe/Cow harvest. PERIOD!

My complaint is WHEN!

Ask a farmer/rancher when he gets rid of his Cows. Ask him when he gets rid of his OLD Bull!

Cows are sent off BEFORE they are bred! Bulls are AFTER their last breeding season!

Game departments have this BACKWARD!!!!!

Kill the BEST Bulls BEFORE they breed the cows, and kill the cows after they are bred!

ABSOLUTE STUPIDITY!!

IMO, IMO, IMO, IMO....but it makes common sense!

edge.

So what rational purpose to benefit hunting or game management does these limitations perform? NOT ONE PERSON HAS GIVEN ANY REASON HERE.

Elk are not like deer and sadly, not all hunters can take one or it would decimate the populations. If everyone who bought a MT license killed one I think that would be about 1/3 the elk in Montana dead. Not much of a long term management strategy. I think of archery season as a limitation. You are limited to a bow which can't really shoot more than max of 60 yards. This limits the number of people in the woods and also limits the number of elk killed during the rut. Limitations attempt to keep the population in check while providing a sporting opportunity.

Relating to this discussion though, I do not really see the point of limiting people to a muzzleloader. Now, if the season was after archery but before rifle, then I would like to see some kind of a limitation on the weapon, and the earlier the season was, the greater the limitation. The way it is now is just as rediculous as if there were a late season .30-06 elk hunt where you had to use that caliber, and if you didn't have that caliber then you would be forced to buy one if that's the season you wanted to hunt.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.