Idaho hunt

A lightweight tent is a must as you have to be able to dry out in an water and wind proof enclosure. Snow and rain can be a problem here, especially at high elevations. You didn't mention the proximity of where you plan to hunt so I will give you a basic idea of the terrain you will usually be in. If you draw two horizontal lines breaking Idaho into thirds you will be close to the different types of weather and terrain you can expect to see. The Northern third is lowest in base elevation from West to Eastern borders. It is the wettest and heaviest foliated with dense timber and small meadows. The middle is in the center of large logging area with many clear-cut of timber adjoining heavy and new growth timber. Although Lewiston on the western border is around 700 ft.of elevation the country rises thousands of ft. the farther east you go. Lots of open country on the western side going into older growth timber to the east. This takes you into the primitive area of Idaho where you can only hunt on foot or horseback. Prepare for weather of all kinds in this area. The last third (Southern Idaho) is actually the highest in the State including the highest mountain. It goes south to high desert country with the Snake and Salmon rivers. It is exceptionally windy most days and you had better be in good shape to self backpack into any of the areas of Idaho. Good cardio is a must at our elevations. After hunting through shale or dead fall timber to check alpine meadows for elk, it is a must. If you make a kill you are going to have to make at least 4 trips to recover the animal and your personal belongings. A good down filled sleeping bag, tent and ground cloth are a must. A good piece of plastic ground cover is lightweight and does the job. Spread over a limb above your tent and anchored by rocks will make snow slide away keeping your tent dry. I have also placed it over pine boughs for a sleeping mat. Try not to use fire where you hunt. Elk will be higher in wolf country.
Welcome to Idaho!

Make sure you have a good comfortable pack. With the exception of a firearm you are comfortable with I think it's the second most important non food/water related item. I like my kifaru pack.

I am planning on hunting the tex creek wma of idaho on idaho fish and game said it's the upper snake region I believe. I have two weeks off of work planned for the trip right now just because of travel and set up etc. I was thinking about having some supplies in truck and going out for a few days and circling back resupply then going back out and finish the hunt so that way I can pack more and expand a lot of territory if I need to maybe drive to another part of where I am hunting. And no I am not in PFT shape right now but I've got a work out plan to. My goal as far as what I would like to do is be able to pack 200lbs about 20 miles before I go and do it with my training mask on. I know that's not like hiking in higher elevation but it's what I've got. I am not thinking I can carry 200lbs while I am out there but the more I do here at home i believe the better I'll be hiking out there.

If you get to where you can pack 200 pounds about 20 miles, you will be able to jog up the steepest Idaho hill. I trained with a 65 pound pack last year in West Virginia (and max of about 9 miles) and ended up getting around pretty well in the Frank Church Wilderness.

If you plan on packing camp in very far from the trailhead and want to save some weight, I would recommend a Thermarest Neoair XTherm sleeping pad.

Good luck!

It all depends on location and which critters you're after. Idaho's a big state with varied terrain. When I was prepping for my sheep hunt last year I listed to a lot of podcasts on gear to get some new ideas. Hunt Backcountry by Exo Mountain gear was a good one. There are based here in Boise, so much of their experience is in this area. I don't run any of their gear currently, but it gave me some good ideas about gear for backpack hunting.

That's up to you, but for those of us that actually live out here (me 18 yrs in ID and 10+ in MT) and have seen how effective the stuff has been in encounters then that's up to you.

Like I said Tex Creek is a low risk area being just east of a decent-sized city, and the Tex Creek WMA is primarily winter range. So your chances of encountering a griz there are low, but if you plan on returning and going into any back country your risk will go up.

Plus if you talk to any IDFG wildife bio or fed bio (I'm a retired Fed wildlife bio) they will give you the same advice if you plan on going into griz country.

https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/nature/bearspray.htm

Good luck on your hunt.

Take a good set of binos and a spotting scope.

Only take shots within your capability.
Excellent advice!
Might not like bear spray tho it could prevent having to shoot and having it to use should a grizzly show up just searching for food not attacking the bear spray likely would take care of the problem. Yes it is better to have & not need than to not & need! Isn't it true that anyone that resorts to shooting a bear best have ample proof that their life was in danger or they'd likely face charges correct?