Idaho CWD

It's not clear from the article, and forgive my ignorance, but what is your states policy on testing. We've been dealing with it in WI for several years. They are making testing more widely available, but it's still completely voluntary.

CWD or "blue tongue" as commonly known to locals (or otherwise) has decimated the deer population throughout central Idaho. 2 testing positive is not nearly a close indication of the actual devastation occurring. It's happened a few times, but areas we used to look at deer as a varmint population, are emptied of a very large portion of the deer population.

This makes me wonder about that sick bull thread that was recently started.

Suggestions posted by IDFG: "Fish and Game welcomes reports by hunters and citizens. A person should accurately document the location of the animal (GPS coordinates if possible) and report the species and gender, if known. Take pictures, if possible, and immediately contact the nearest Fish and Game regional office. Do not attempt to touch, disturb, kill or remove the animal."

It's happened a few times, but areas we used to look at deer as a varmint population, are emptied of a very large portion of the deer population.
Similar here in WI. Not just cwd, but over predation. Some from bears, some from wolves, and some from people. Very multifaceted issue.

It's not clear from the article, and forgive my ignorance, but what is your states policy on testing. We've been dealing with it in WI for several years. They are making testing more widely available, but it's still completely voluntary.
We have had volunteer testing mainly. I know they have had some check points setup over the years testing for various things. This was the first year they came out before seasons started and posted about looking for it, so I wonder if they knew already?

CWD or "blue tongue" as commonly known to locals (or otherwise) has decimated the deer population throughout central Idaho. 2 testing positive is not nearly a close indication of the actual devastation occurring. It's happened a few times, but areas we used to look at deer as a varmint population, are emptied of a very large portion of the deer population.
CWD and Blue Tongue are two different diseases. B.T. mainly targets whitetails, where CWD will infect everything. I think there is something going on with our deer population for sure because they don't seem to be around like they use to. I'm starting to think F&G is lying about there winter counts or just don't know.

CWD and Blue Tongue are two different diseases. B.T. mainly targets whitetails, where CWD will infect everything. I think there is something going on with our deer population for sure because they don't seem to be around like they use to. I'm starting to think F&G is lying about there winter counts or just don't know.
Confirming this.. PSA as follows:
Don't drink and post, kids or you may end up just like me… lol! Two totally different things, both bad outcomes

The white tails have been hit hard by hemorragic (sp) disease in north central Idaho. It seems the population in the lower elevations (Grangeville to Riggins) have been hit the hardest. Carcasses are all over the prairie. The population on and around my property (4000 ft elev) is down about 2/3.
I hunted hard in the upper Slate Creek / Gospel mountains / Dairy Mountain area this elk season. The deer population in the higher elevations (5500 - 7000 elev) do not seem to be affected. Of course the bear and wolf populations are dense this year so carcasses are stripped clean in a day.
CWD is another hurdle for the deer that survived this season.

Just got done hunting around banner ridge, lower dairy mtn area and didn't even come across a doe on public ground. Did see some tracks in the snow, but not like we have seen in the past. Hunted a half day around cow creek and just seen mule deer on the public ground. Sounds like it's going to be few years before we get our whitetail back, hopefully this CWD doesn't hit them.

My question is, there is no CWD confirmed in Oregon or Washington, so how does this stuff jump clear across a state with no confirmed and/or suspected case closer to Wyoming and Montana, where CWD has been confirmed?

It was only a matter of time. IMHO fish and game has been dragging their feet on this. Testing at check stations should have been available years ago in sensitive/likely areas, and for mail testing if your concerned. They could have caught it earlier and still could in other areas. They have the budget and the resources to attack this thing! Now we pay the price for their negligence/laziness/denial. Get with the times IDFG! Protect our game populations before it's too late.