Idaho antelope

land308

When I drew this tag I was hoping to get a nice long shot and extend my farthest kill(340 yards) on a big game animal. I'm just getting in to the long range game and I had dreamed of taking my time, ranging, checking wind and making a nice long shot. Upon arriving to our hunting area I found myself with antelope everywhere. This was my 1st antelope hunt and I got excited and shot the 1st nice big doe to present well. Roughly 120 yards away. Oh well. No regrets. Another year of long range practice is not going to hurt me one bit.
I will say that the Hornady 165 sst I shot blew to bits. I knew they were a frangible bullet but I did not expect them to come apart so much at such a low velocity. I send them at 2400 fps from my 308 win. Impact velocity was around 2100 fps. I found chunks of the jacket all the way up in the back straps. Most of the bullet did exit though. silver dollar sized exit hole. This bullet must expand well down to some real low velocities.
On a side note, some A-hole was nice enough to have shot this doe with a shotgun at some point. I found 7 1/2 shot all down one side of her. There is nothing like picking lead out of back straps to put you in a good mood.
DSCF1288.jpg

DSCF1298.jpg

Awesome...a successful antelope hunt would be a great way to start the hunting season. You guys out west make us southerners awfully jealous. White tail deer hunting is fun but hunting antelope,elk, mule deer, white tail, etc....you got it good.
You think picking shot out of meat sucks, try digging it out of your own leg. Several years ago some ******* peppered me with squirel shot. I was bow hunting in a tree and he walked up and shot a nest on a limb by me. I thought he saw me at first,even though I was on the other side of the trunk...until from 30yds out he shot up into the tree. It felt like he blew my leg off, but it was only nine pellets that got me. I yelled (probably more of a scream) and litterally jumped out of the tree at him. I think it scared him more then me because he almost shot me again!

Congrats on a nice shot! Maybe next year you'll get that 500yd shot.
I came up from Fl and had a great do it youself hunt in unit 18 for mulies. I was lucky enough to draw a tag the first try.
I got a pretty nice 5x5,21" inside spread, that I shot at 350yds while he was bedded.
I will probably be coming back to Idaho for a hunt in 2008. I really enjoyed hiking up those steep hills-they kicked my butt.
Not sure, but thinking of an elk hunt.

land308.

You'll have to have just a bit more self discipline next trip.;) Thanks for the bullet report.

Bravo 4,

Welcome to Idaho. Come on back. Its quite the place for diys'rs. What unit were you hunting?

Nice goat 308! I didn't make it pronghorn hunting this year. Had a tag but was having too much fun hunting pheasants with family. Jeff300, pronghorn has to be some of the best meat ever! An old buck might be a little hard to take but the younger animals I've had are top notch!

I got excited and shot the 1st nice big doe to present well. Roughly 120 yards away

You can go down in the Basics Section and read some of my antelope hunting stories. I take about three days before I get the wind and animal conditions that I want. Self Discipline and calmness are essential to successful longrange hunting and even then things will go wrong or be different than you predict.

This was my 1st antelope hunt and I got excited and shot the 1st nice big doe to present well. Roughly 120 yards away. Oh well. No regrets. Another year of long range practice is not going to hurt me one bit.

If you don't get excited about being outdoors, surrounded by antelope, elk, whitetails or whatever your're hunting, why go? You are supposed to get excited.

I don't know anyone that would say/admit they don't need more long range practice.

Mike

If you don't get excited about being outdoors, surrounded by antelope, elk, whitetails or whatever your're hunting, why go? You are supposed to get excited.

I don't know anyone that would say/admit they don't need more long range practice.

Mike

Not too excited though. My nephew, family man w/4 children, in his 40s got his first elk this year. Got so excited that he had a coronary and died on the spot.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.