Ibex Hunting Help

Sniper5

I am interested in going on an Ibex hunt and have seen that several memebers have gone on hunts like this. I was wondering if anyone has advice on where to look for a reputable outfitter. I can figure out most of the other planning steps, but a good outfitter and location will make the hunt more enjoyable. I would like to do a trip to Kyrgyzstan, but other options are certainly welcome. I'm hoping to not break the bank (after saving for a while for this), so something in the $5k range would be helpful, but I can go over this a bit if needed. Also if anyone has heard of any reason not to go to a certain area due to unrest of the region, that advice is welcome as well.

Thanks in advance.

I hunted Kyrgyzstan a couple of years ago. You can find my hunt report here: Hunting Ibex in Kyrgyzstan
The company I hunted with was Tour Khan Tengri. Their web pg is here: CONTACTS | Company
Another option is booking through Igor AKA Ibexhunter. He posts on several web sites. Africa Hunting.com and accurate reloading.com forums. He has a special most years that run $3800 or so. On the accurate reloading forum there is a recent hunt report from someone who hunted with Igor's company. Tour Khan Tengri has a new "director" [ CEO, Pres] so I don't know what they would be like for sure. Igor might be able to tell you. It is quite an adventure. Any questions feel free to message me. Bruce

Thanks gillettehunter, good info and nice write up on your hunt. Looks like a good site to pick up a good price on a hunt if you can arrange it in the short time from the posting.
It would seem you have to be a decent judge of size of ibex before the trip since you will likely be unable to talk to your guide. What happens if you miss? Do they go check for blood or do they assume that since it didn't go down you missed?

In Kyrgyzstan they will check for blood and attempt to track the animal. If they find it then they would go find another animal to hunt. Rather pragmatic.
I have thought about going back. If I did so I would base the tip size on the horn size. A college prof there earns about $85/mo and struggles on that amount of money. A tip of $100 is more than most make in a month.
If I went back I'd figure the size of animal I really wanted to take and convert to centimeters. Then I would have myinterpreter tell the guide about it and that the tip size is tied to size of Ibex. So over 48 inches 3 or $400 tip. 42 to 48 is $200. Less than 42 is a $100 tip. Cash is scarce so I think they wold work very hard for you. That would be a big help. I have 20-20 hind sight. I'll be glad to answere any other questions. Bruce

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts