IBEX Game Cam pics

Korhil78

The Trail Cam section wouldn't let me post pics so I will post this here. If it needs to be moved then please do. Just thought it was interesting stuff!

Here are a few pics of some IBEX that are in the Florida Mountains in Deming, NM. I am hoping to draw this tag before I die (that's how hard it is to draw). I have some places figured out for archery. Rifle would be a lot easier but its near impossible to draw. There are 3 large Ibex in this group. The mountain lion decided to pay a visit too.

IBEX1.jpg

IBEX2.jpg

IBEX3.jpg

IBEX4.jpg

IBEX5.jpg

If you ever do give me a call. I'll bring the horses and be your spotter!

Great pictures.

I thought real hard about trying to hunt a cat there for that very reason but got to looking at the restrictions and I was pretty overwhelmed. It's legal to hunt lions there.... . sorta, a day or two here, three over there, on the sixth sunday of the 13th month after the fourth blue moon of the year etc; but you better make darned sure the sun, moon, stars, and everything else are aligned perfectly when you go!

Awesome trail cam pics......how long was your climb up there?? Again, thanks for sharing and good luck trying to draw that tag.

If you ever do give me a call. I'll bring the horses and be your spotter!

Great pictures.

I thought real hard about trying to hunt a cat there for that very reason but got to looking at the restrictions and I was pretty overwhelmed. It's legal to hunt lions there.... . sorta, a day or two here, three over there, on the sixth sunday of the 13th month after the fourth blue moon of the year etc; but you better make darned sure the sun, moon, stars, and everything else are aligned perfectly when you go!

It's not as difficult anymore. Just have to make sure there are no kittens and such. You and I may be well into the ground before I draw an Ibex tag lol.

It's not as difficult anymore. Just have to make sure there are no kittens and such. You and I may be well into the ground before I draw an Ibex tag lol.
No doubt. After looking at the requirements for the NM "Mobility Impaired" certification I've started the paper work to get approved.

That will greatly increase my odds for both an Ibex and for the Oryx hunts.

Awesome trail cam pics......how long was your climb up there?? Again, thanks for sharing and good luck trying to draw that tag.

Sorry, I missed your message on here. It was quite a hike. These goats don't make it easy on anyone. It was about a 2200 ft ascent but it was pretty much all straight up. The upside to it is that my trail cam is not likely to get stolen and if it does....they deserved it!:D

Wait, you have to get tags to hunt Ibex and oryx in new mexico? I figured because they're exotics they don't need any sort of tags.

Nope...both those types of animals were given to the state a long time ago and the state manages them through hunts. You have to draw tags for them. The oryx are on the white sands Missle range and the Ibex are supposed to only be on the Florida mountains. If you find an Ibex that is not on the Florida mountain boundaries, you can go buy a OTC tag for it and go shoot it. Otherwise you have to put in for the draw. The tags for out of state Ibex and oryx are insanely expensive. For residents its $110 for Ibex and non residents it's $1623. For Oryx its $160 for resident and $1623 for non resident.

It's the only place that you can hunt them in the U.S. And it not be a high fence hunt. It sure is hard to draw though and it's a once in a lifetime hunt for them so if you draw, you will never be able to put in again.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.