I Want To Start Reloading

See if you can get the rcbs kit on sale. It's a good place to start. Picked a tough time right now with the component shortages.

RCBS rockchucker supreme press
RCBS chargemaster combo
RCBS case trimmer
Any brand primer tool
Any brand caliper
Any brand chamfer/debur tool
Any brand funnel
Case lube

This list works well for me and cuts out some of the unnecessary/future upgrades out of the RCBS kit. I make very accurate ammunition with these products with a few other miscellaneous hand tools in addition, but would be a pretty comprehensive setup for a beginner.

Any of the kits will get you started, and then you will add small things as you go. It was several years before I added a room to the house. Yes, it's easy to get carried away. Start with the kit, at least 2 manuals, and a couple different powders that match the caliber or calibers that you are loading for. There is a wealth of information on this sight if you look.

I must say, when I finally got into reloading, (it had been a long desire), it opened up an entirely new WORLD for me. I had no idea at first how much was involved, and how wildly interesting it is to reload and handload.

But it's not for everyone. If you're a "fairly close is good enough" person, it might not be for you. I sternly warned my sister in law NOT to let my brother get into it, as he would blow himself up for sure!!

So first, analyze yourself. Then, as suggested, buy the Lee reloading manual, and read the whole thing. (Don't be scared of the size of it, about half of it is loading recipes.)

If, after all that you are still interested, I suggest the Lee Starter Kit. Some people hate Lee stuff, some people dearly love it. But nearly everyone admits, even if begrudgingly, that Lee equipment is very reasonably priced, and just plain WORKS. You can, and probably will, upgrade later from that starter kit, but even then those starter items, especially the press itself, will be useful to you.

Beware; it's quite a "rabbit hole", but a really fun and intriguing one!

Vettepilot

I would suggest getting 2-3 of the newest editions of reloading manuals and read the how too sections. Study them well. '
I've always been an RCBS guy but I'm sure today one kit is as good as the other. They all have great starter kits now. Be prepared, it can become and addiction and a never ending buying process. You will always be updating.
At this time you might get upset that the inputs are in short comings. In some parts of the country powders are down to slim pickings to say the least and primers are non existent.
Good luck.......
FWIW..just left my local gun store. He told me that the current rush to stock up on components has him paying twice wholesale. Primers are $45-$50 per 1000 and his sign says when you buy a gun he cannot guarantee you that ammo will be available and that will not be reason to cancel the purchase. So I don't know if this is a good time to start reloading due to the artificial increases in components and their shortages. Others may have a different opinion.

I recently wanted to buy 100 LRM primers. The site said they were out of 100 packages so I would have to buy 1000. I ordered 2000 because I figured I could always use them.
Yesterday they came. 20 packages of 100. Isnt that unethical?

Not to hijack this thread but my local store offered to sell any of my firearms at a price double and triple the price I payed for them due to the demand and inventory shortage to let them sell them on commision even after their cut.

I would start like everyone else has stated by getting a reloading manual. Though I am not a super fan of digital form it happens to be really nice for when on the go when you have free time or when looking at available powders in the store. I would suggest subscribing to Hornady's load data in their Hornady Catalog app on Google Play and the Apple App Store. With it you get the digital equivalent of the 10th version along with data being currently added that will be included in the 11th version which when complete will be mailed to you. If you want a hardcopy I would take your pick I think they are all pretty good. I started on the Speer manual which I think was really solid and gathered that from a decent amount of recommendations.

Since you are coming onto a long range hunting website precision is the key and with it is some reloading topics that are nice to be clarified by online articles and through watching people that are good at explaining their process. I am probably a little less outgoing in the social aspect...until I have a drink with ya so I pursued buying media or YouTube-ing reloading videos. I would strongly suggest Shawn Carlock of Defensive Edge DVD "Reloading for Long Range Hunting." However, I cannot find it at the moment online, I at one time purchased it from this website. Another great source and whom I would consider his equivalent is his friend Sam Millard (from what I have gathered anyways) of Panhandle Precision that does a whole YouTube series on precision reloading. His channel is called Panhandle Precision and he goes through his whole reloading process which is extremely similar to the one Shawn Carlock presents in his DVD, go figure.

As for kits on MidwayUSA its kind of hard to pick out one that is the best as none of them include everything you will need (eventually anyways). I purchased everything separately originally...and probably would again. However I am a super fan of the quick die change systems: Hornady's lock and load bushings and Lee Precision's Breech Lock bushing system (there could be others but those are the two I know of most). So if I were to buy a kit I would go for the Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Kit. You need to at least add a powder trickler and a Vernier calipers with a bullet comparator setup. With this equipment you can completely load virgin brass and get used to it till you add more niceties: separate trimmer (unless you buy the lee trimming dies), flash hole debur tool, better chamfering and deburring tools, and etcetera because everyone is picky about what they like most for doing the job. Make certain that you have a nice bench to work on though...I was lucky enough to find mine when I typed bench in craigslist :)

As for a single powder that you would want to work for just all of those calibers you could try Reloader 17 (RL-17) however I have not found data for 7mm STW and RL-17. That caliber likes even slower powders yet to get its peak potential so I think you will want a separate one for it but otherwise RL-17 should work fine for the 6.5 CM, 308 Win and 30-06.

Lastly, this hobby requires note taking, organization and TIME...if you have a partner try to get them involved right away or at least use a good smokescreen on how it makes you a better hunter than the others that don't do it :)...you will deal with less headaches then.

I prefer the rock chucker press. I guess I have 25 years on this one. One item I would get as a new reloader is the Hornady headspace gauge kit. Very helpful in setting up your sizing die properly. Keeps you from over sizing over working your brass and creating excessive headspace which can lead to case failure.

eBay is also your friend as you learn and find more "things" you "need." For instance - I have a Rock Chucker Supreme. It is absoutley great and does everythig I want it to do. And then I keep thinking I would also like (and don't need) a Forster co-ax press. Just go for quality.

Tumbler, dies, Priming tool, powder dispenser, press, runout gage, CBTO and CBTD measuring tools, case trimmer, powder, primers, bullets

You will find primers and powder impossible to find.

The first thing you need to ask yourself, are you reloading or handloading? What are your objectives? Save money, availability, accuracy, hobby, etc?

Then go from there. For me all about handloading + little of everything else, but the end goal is a highly accurate, customized, repeatable hunting round for every gun I have and game I hunt. For some guns, I just use factory ammo if those results/bullet selection are adequate.

Also, if you're not a detailed kind of person that can handle repeated tasks, this may not be for you.

Now back to your original question...
Single stage for rifle handloading - I liked the RCBS kit for around $300+ another $200-300 min in stuff you need that doesn't come in the kit . You'll eventually sell/store a bunch of the stuff if you get serious or start valuing your reloading time. For reloading for high volume (.223, match shooting, etc.), get a progressive press.

Until you tell us what cartridges you plan to load for, it's impossible to recommend any specific powders. Also don't spend a lot of money on bullets until you see what shoots good in your gun.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.